OpenVZ Forum

Today's Messages (on)  | Unanswered Messages (off)

Forum: Support
 Topic: Installing CentOS 7 packages on OpenVZ 7
Installing CentOS 7 packages on OpenVZ 7 [message #53713] Thu, 03 December 2020 04:17
galaxy is currently offline  galaxy
I'm migrating to OpenVZ 7 from CentOS 6 with vzkernel and building out a new server.
I want to install base packages of nagios, nrpe, bacula and a few others that are standard centos 6/7 packages. How can I install them?

I see in /etc/redhat-release it shows:

Virtuozzo Linux release 7.8

So does that mean that it's based on CentOS 7.8?
Can I muck with the repos and spoof CentOS 7.8?
Are there any repos that have some basic monitoring/backup support specifically for OpenVZ?

Thanks!
Re: Installing CentOS 7 packages on OpenVZ 7 [message #53715 is a reply to message #53713] Thu, 03 December 2020 08:41
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Hi.

Yes, Virtuozzo 7 distro is based on CentOS 7 distro.
So if you miss some packages in Virtuozzo repo, you can add CentOS / epel repos and install packages.
And in 99% cases it will work.

Note: you better disable external repos after you install required packages,
because if you leave them enabled and some day later run "yum update" and in CentOS / epel repo will be
a package of newer version than we have in Virtuozzo repo and it will substitute a package which we in VZ distro have enhanced,
well, something might get broken.

If you problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
 Topic: Breaking OpenVZ7 on CentOS with latest update 7.0.14
Re: Breaking OpenVZ7 on CentOS with latest update 7.0.14 [message #53714 is a reply to message #53650] Thu, 03 December 2020 04:37
galaxy is currently offline  galaxy
I see that you installed OpenVZ 7 on top of CentOS 7.
That would solve the problem I have with not being able to install packages like nrpe, nagios-plugins, among others using yum.

I've installed it with the OpenVZ 7 iso. It works, but you can't install any CentOS 7 packages.
Or is there some repo magic I can do to emulate CentOS 7 and pull the packages in?
Re: Breaking OpenVZ7 on CentOS with latest update 7.0.14 [message #53716 is a reply to message #53650] Thu, 03 December 2020 13:42
dmc_dtc is currently offline  dmc_dtc
As Far as I know, to install nrpe and plugins you need epel-repo ... so try first yum install epel-release and then try to install nrpe and nagios-plugins - I think it work perfectly in OpenVZ7

>> dmc / dtc <<
 Topic: Minor issue with CentOS 8 and SSH connection delays
Minor issue with CentOS 8 and SSH connection delays [message #53717] Thu, 03 December 2020 19:11
wsap is currently offline  wsap
Hey there,

Wondering if anyone else has seen the problem using CentOS 8 containers on 3.10.0-1127.8.2.vz7.158.8

Upon first SSH login in some amount of time (not sure exactly what this threshold is), the login appears to hang for 25 seconds before then completes the login successfully. When this occurs, /var/log/secure shows:

sshd[509788]: pam_systemd(sshd:session): Failed to create session: Connection timed out

This issue appears to be well documented here and even has a patch already committed to systemd here. According to comments in the pull request for the patch it was merged into systemd version 236:

> Or in other words, this has been merged after v235, and hence will be included in v236 as soon as that's released

Yet within CentOS 8 we can see that systemd is version 239: systemd-239-31.el8_2.2.x86_64

We're left wondering if perhaps this only remains a problem on OpenVZ.

Has anyone else seen this?

[Updated on: Thu, 03 December 2020 19:12]

Report message to a moderator

Topic: BUG? OVZ 7 + CentOS 8 + iptables v1.8.4 (nf_tables)
Re: BUG? OVZ 7 + CentOS 8 + iptables v1.8.4 (nf_tables) [message #53718 is a reply to message #53659] Thu, 03 December 2020 19:16
wsap is currently offline  wsap
Yep definitely seeing this issue here too. Had to convert a bunch of stuff to ipset to help lighten the overhead that this issue inevitably creates. Someone had commented in the official bug report that they didn't think this would be fixed until OpenVZ 8, but that seems pretty unlikely to me given that iptables management is handled by the OpenVZ kernel (ie: they have full access to deal with that) and even if the changes need to occur within the CentOS 8 container, that could be adjusted via the ez template.

Then again, devs have indeed taken their time with this...

Current Time: Thu Dec 03 19:53:13 GMT 2020