OpenVZ Forum


Home » Mailing lists » Users » Re: Re: Debian libc update requres newer kernel ( was no subject)
Re: Re: Debian libc update requres newer kernel ( was no subject) [message #42622] Fri, 06 May 2011 20:12 Go to next message
foxb is currently offline  foxb
Messages: 12
Registered: December 2009
Junior Member
From: 216.191.245*
Will that work...?

I do not know what functionality is required from kernel and is it backported to RHEL kernel.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and try?!

Thanks

P.S. Putting Subject


>-------- Оригинално писмо --------
>От: tim Doyle
>Относно: Re: [Users] (no subject)
>До: users@openvz.org
>Изпратено на: Петък, 2011, Май 6 22:37:15 EEST

>It is possible to change the kernel version reported by OpenVZ here:
>
>/proc/sys/kernel/virt_osrelease
>
>http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=15144&
>
>
>--
>Timothy Doyle
>CEO
>Quantact Hosting Solutions, Inc.
>tim@quantact.com
>http://www.quantact.com
>
>
>On 05/06/2011 10:53 AM, Hristo Benev wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have following issue.
>> My Host is running CentOS
>> ============================================================
>> cat /etc/redhat-release
>> CentOS release 5.6 (Final)
>>
>> uname -a
>> Linux server 2.6.18-238.9.1.el5.028stab089.1PAE #1 SMP Thu Apr 14 14:38:02 MSD 2011 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>> ===========================================================
>>
>> and some guests are Debian
>>
>> ===========================================================
>> cat /etc/debian_version
>> wheezy/sid
>> ===========================================================
>>
>> Upgraded to Squeeze
>>
>> ==========================================================
>> cat /etc/apt/sources.list
>> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
>> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-security squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
>> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
>> #deb http://www.backports.org/debian squeeze-backports main contrib non-free
>> deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian squeeze-updates main contrib
>> ============================================================ ================
>>
>> When I try to upgrade I get following
>>
>> ============================================================ ================
>> apt-get upgrade
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>> libc-dev-bin : Depends: libc6 (> 2.13) but 2.11.2-11 is installed
>> libc6 : Depends: libc-bin (= 2.11.2-11) but 2.13-2 is installed
>> libc6-dev : Depends: libc6 (= 2.13-2) but 2.11.2-11 is installed
>> locales : Depends: glibc-2.13-1
>> nscd : Depends: libc6 (> 2.13) but 2.11.2-11 is installed
>> E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
>> ============================================================ ===============
>>
>> When using -f I get
>>
>> ============================================================ ==============
>> WARNING: this version of the GNU libc requires kernel version
>> 2.6.26 or later. Please upgrade your kernel before installing
>> glibc.
>>
>> The installation of a 2.6 kernel _could_ ask you to install a new libc
>> first, this is NOT a bug, and should *NOT* be reported. In that case,
>> please add lenny sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run:
>> apt-get install -t lenny linux-image-2.6
>> Then reboot into this new kernel, and proceed with your upgrade
>> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.13-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
>> subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
>> configured to not write apport reports
>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>> /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.13-2_i386.deb
>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>> ============================================================ ================
>>
>> So how to fix that?
>> CentOS does not have more recent kernel (official/stable)?!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>
>>
Re: Debian libc update requres newer kernel ( was no subject) [message #42625 is a reply to message #42622] Sat, 07 May 2011 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir
Messages: 1645
Registered: August 2005
Location: Moscow, Russia
Senior Member

From: *parallels.com
On 05/07/2011 12:12 AM, Hristo Benev wrote:
>
> Will that work...?
>
> I do not know what functionality is required from kernel and is it backported to RHEL kernel.
>
> Maybe I should just bite the bullet and try?!

It should work, we have forward-ported all the features required by
newer distros.

More to say, latest vzctl (since 3.0.25) sets this on a per-CT basis,
using the table from
/etc/vz/osrelease.conf. If you run vzctl-3.0.25 or later, just add the
following line to this
file:

debian-6.0 2.6.32

I will fix it in vzctl-3.0.26.3 soon.

> Thanks
>
> P.S. Putting Subject
>
>
> >-------- Оригинално писмо --------
> >От: tim Doyle
> >Относно: Re: [Users] (no subject)
> >До: users@openvz.org
> >Изпратено на: Петък, 2011, Май 6 22:37:15 EEST
>
> >It is possible to change the kernel version reported by OpenVZ here:
> >
> >/proc/sys/kernel/virt_osrelease
> >
> >http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=15144&
> >
> >
> >--
> >Timothy Doyle
> >CEO
> >Quantact Hosting Solutions, Inc.
> >tim@quantact.com
> >http://www.quantact.com
> >
> >
> >On 05/06/2011 10:53 AM, Hristo Benev wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have following issue.
> >> My Host is running CentOS
> >> ============================================================
> >> cat /etc/redhat-release
> >> CentOS release 5.6 (Final)
> >>
> >> uname -a
> >> Linux server 2.6.18-238.9.1.el5.028stab089.1PAE #1 SMP Thu Apr 14 14:38:02 MSD 2011 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
> >> ===========================================================
> >>
> >> and some guests are Debian
> >>
> >> ===========================================================
> >> cat /etc/debian_version
> >> wheezy/sid
> >> ===========================================================
> >>
> >> Upgraded to Squeeze
> >>
> >> ==========================================================
> >> cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> >> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
> >> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-security squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
> >> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
> >> #deb http://www.backports.org/debian squeeze-backports main contrib non-free
> >> deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian squeeze-updates main contrib
> >> ============================================================ ================
> >>
> >> When I try to upgrade I get following
> >>
> >> ============================================================ ================
> >> apt-get upgrade
> >> Reading package lists... Done
> >> Building dependency tree
> >> Reading state information... Done
> >> You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
> >> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >> libc-dev-bin : Depends: libc6 (> 2.13) but 2.11.2-11 is installed
> >> libc6 : Depends: libc-bin (= 2.11.2-11) but 2.13-2 is installed
> >> libc6-dev : Depends: libc6 (= 2.13-2) but 2.11.2-11 is installed
> >> locales : Depends: glibc-2.13-1
> >> nscd : Depends: libc6 (> 2.13) but 2.11.2-11 is installed
> >> E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
> >> ============================================================ ===============
> >>
> >> When using -f I get
> >>
> >> ============================================================ ==============
> >> WARNING: this version of the GNU libc requires kernel version
> >> 2.6.26 or later. Please upgrade your kernel before installing
> >> glibc.
> >>
> >> The installation of a 2.6 kernel _could_ ask you to install a new libc
> >> first, this is NOT a bug, and should *NOT* be reported. In that case,
> >> please add lenny sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run:
> >> apt-get install -t lenny linux-image-2.6
> >> Then reboot into this new kernel, and proceed with your upgrade
> >> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.13-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
> >> subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
> >> configured to not write apport reports
> >> Errors were encountered while processing:
> >> /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.13-2_i386.deb
> >> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> >> ============================================================ ================
> >>
> >> So how to fix that?
> >> CentOS does not have more recent kernel (official/stable)?!
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >>
> >>


Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Re: Debian libc update requres newer kernel ( was no subject) [message #42639 is a reply to message #42625] Sun, 08 May 2011 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
foxb is currently offline  foxb
Messages: 12
Registered: December 2009
Junior Member
From: *vif.net
This solved the problem...

Thanks



>-------- Оригинално писмо --------
>От: Kir Kolyshkin
>Относно: Re: [Users] Debian libc update requres newer kernel ( was no subject)
>До: "users@openvz.org"
>Изпратено на: Събота, 2011, Май 7 22:20:24 EEST

>On 05/07/2011 12:12 AM, Hristo Benev wrote:
>>
>> Will that work...?
>>
>> I do not know what functionality is required from kernel and is it backported to RHEL kernel.
>>
>> Maybe I should just bite the bullet and try?!
>
>It should work, we have forward-ported all the features required by
>newer distros.
>
>More to say, latest vzctl (since 3.0.25) sets this on a per-CT basis,
>using the table from
>/etc/vz/osrelease.conf. If you run vzctl-3.0.25 or later, just add the
>following line to this
>file:
>
>debian-6.0 2.6.32
>
>I will fix it in vzctl-3.0.26.3 soon.
>
>> Thanks
>>
>> P.S. Putting Subject
>>
>>
>> >-------- Оригинално писмо --------
>> >От: tim Doyle
>> >Относно: Re: [Users] (no subject)
>> >До: users@openvz.org
>> >Изпратено на: Петък, 2011, Май 6 22:37:15 EEST
>>
>> >It is possible to change the kernel version reported by OpenVZ here:
>> >
>> >/proc/sys/kernel/virt_osrelease
>> >
>> >http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=15144&
>> >
>> >
>> >--
>> >Timothy Doyle
>> >CEO
>> >Quantact Hosting Solutions, Inc.
>> >tim@quantact.com
>> >http://www.quantact.com
>> >
>> >
>> >On 05/06/2011 10:53 AM, Hristo Benev wrote:
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >> I have following issue.
>> >> My Host is running CentOS
>> >> ============================================================
>> >> cat /etc/redhat-release
>> >> CentOS release 5.6 (Final)
>> >>
>> >> uname -a
>> >> Linux server 2.6.18-238.9.1.el5.028stab089.1PAE #1 SMP Thu Apr 14 14:38:02 MSD 2011 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>> >> ===========================================================
>> >>
>> >> and some guests are Debian
>> >>
>> >> ===========================================================
>> >> cat /etc/debian_version
>> >> wheezy/sid
>> >> ===========================================================
>> >>
>> >> Upgraded to Squeeze
>> >>
>> >> ==========================================================
>> >> cat /etc/apt/sources.list
>> >> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
>> >> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-security squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
>> >> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
>> >> #deb http://www.backports.org/debian squeeze-backports main contrib non-free
>> >> deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian squeeze-updates main contrib
>> >> ============================================================ ================
>> >>
>> >> When I try to upgrade I get following
>> >>
>> >> ============================================================ ================
>> >> apt-get upgrade
>> >> Reading package lists... Done
>> >> Building dependency tree
>> >> Reading state information... Done
>> >> You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
>> >> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>> >> libc-dev-bin : Depends: libc6 (> 2.13) but 2.11.2-11 is installed
>> >> libc6 : Depends: libc-bin (= 2.11.2-11) but 2.13-2 is installed
>> >> libc6-dev : Depends: libc6 (= 2.13-2) but 2.11.2-11 is installed
>> >> locales : Depends: glibc-2.13-1
>> >> nscd : Depends: libc6 (> 2.13) but 2.11.2-11 is installed
>> >> E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
>> >> ============================================================ ===============
>> >>
>> >> When using -f I get
>> >>
>> >> ============================================================ ==============
>> >> WARNING: this version of the GNU libc requires kernel version
>> >> 2.6.26 or later. Please upgrade your kernel before installing
>> >> glibc.
>> >>
>> >> The installation of a 2.6 kernel _could_ ask you to install a new libc
>> >> first, this is NOT a bug, and should *NOT* be reported. In that case,
>> >> please add lenny sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run:
>> >> apt-get install -t lenny linux-image-2.6
>> >> Then reboot into this new kernel, and proceed with your upgrade
>> >> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.13-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
>> >> subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
>> >> configured to not write apport reports
>> >> Errors were encountered while processing:
>> >> /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.13-2_i386.deb
>> >> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>> >> ============================================================ ================
>> >>
>> >> So how to fix that?
>> >> CentOS does not have more recent kernel (official/stable)?!
>> >>
>> >> Thanks,
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
Re: Debian libc update requres newer kernel ( was no subject) [message #42645 is a reply to message #42625] Mon, 09 May 2011 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benoit Branciard is currently offline  Benoit Branciard
Messages: 8
Registered: January 2008
Junior Member
From: *parallels.com
Le 07/05/2011 21:20, Kir Kolyshkin a écrit :
> On 05/07/2011 12:12 AM, Hristo Benev wrote:
>>
>> Will that work...?
>>
>> I do not know what functionality is required from kernel and is it
>> backported to RHEL kernel.
>>
>> Maybe I should just bite the bullet and try?!
>
> It should work, we have forward-ported all the features required by
> newer distros.
>
> More to say, latest vzctl (since 3.0.25) sets this on a per-CT basis,
> using the table from
> /etc/vz/osrelease.conf. If you run vzctl-3.0.25 or later, just add the
> following line to this
> file:
>
> debian-6.0 2.6.32
>
> I will fix it in vzctl-3.0.26.3 soon.
>


Stock Debian 6.0 (Squeeze) doesn't require this, it runs libc6 2.11
which doesn't depend on kernel version.
We have several Squeeze containers running happily on RHEL5 OpenVZ
kernel without tweaks (however latest 089.1 stable ovz kernel is highly
recommanded since it corrects some serious bugs).

I believe problem arose maybe because Hristo Benev had some
testing/unstable packages installed before upgrading to Squeeze.


--
Benoit BRANCIARD
Service InfraStructures (SIS) - Direction des Systèmes d'Information (DSI)
Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne
Centre Pierre Mendès France
B 406 - 90, rue de Tolbiac - 75634 Paris cedex 13 - France
Tél : +33 1 44 07 89 68 - Fax : +33 1 44 07 89 66
Accueil tél. : +33 1 44 07 89 65
Assistance : assistance-dsi@univ-paris1.fr
Web : http://dsi.univ-paris1.fr

--
Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner
pour des virus ou des polluriels et rien de
suspect n'a ete trouve.
Re: Re: Debian libc update requres newer kernel ( was no subject) [message #42650 is a reply to message #42625] Mon, 09 May 2011 12:52 Go to previous message
foxb is currently offline  foxb
Messages: 12
Registered: December 2009
Junior Member
From: 216.191.245*
Indeed, I have unstable enabled in my sources.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Hristo


>-------- Оригинално писмо --------
>От: Benoit Branciard
>Относно: Re: [Users] Debian libc update requres newer kernel ( was no subject)
>До: users@openvz.org
>Изпратено на: Понеделник, 2011, Май 9 11:05:12 EEST

>Le 07/05/2011 21:20, Kir Kolyshkin a écrit :
>> On 05/07/2011 12:12 AM, Hristo Benev wrote:
>>>
>>> Will that work...?
>>>
>>> I do not know what functionality is required from kernel and is it
>>> backported to RHEL kernel.
>>>
>>> Maybe I should just bite the bullet and try?!
>>
>> It should work, we have forward-ported all the features required by
>> newer distros.
>>
>> More to say, latest vzctl (since 3.0.25) sets this on a per-CT basis,
>> using the table from
>> /etc/vz/osrelease.conf. If you run vzctl-3.0.25 or later, just add the
>> following line to this
>> file:
>>
>> debian-6.0 2.6.32
>>
>> I will fix it in vzctl-3.0.26.3 soon.
>>
>
>
>Stock Debian 6.0 (Squeeze) doesn't require this, it runs libc6 2.11
>which doesn't depend on kernel version.
>We have several Squeeze containers running happily on RHEL5 OpenVZ
>kernel without tweaks (however latest 089.1 stable ovz kernel is highly
>recommanded since it corrects some serious bugs).
>
>I believe problem arose maybe because Hristo Benev had some
>testing/unstable packages installed before upgrading to Squeeze.
>
>
>--
>Benoit BRANCIARD
>Service InfraStructures (SIS) - Direction des Systèmes d'Information (DSI)
>Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne
>Centre Pierre Mendès France
>B 406 - 90, rue de Tolbiac - 75634 Paris cedex 13 - France
>Tél : +33 1 44 07 89 68 - Fax : +33 1 44 07 89 66
>Accueil tél. : +33 1 44 07 89 65
>Assistance : assistance-dsi@univ-paris1.fr
>Web : http://dsi.univ-paris1.fr
>
>--
>Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner
>pour des virus ou des polluriels et rien de
>suspect n'a ete trouve.
>
>
Previous Topic: minor issue with new ubuntu 11.04 beta templates (wrong sources.list)
Next Topic: custom location for OS template
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Dec 12 12:30:28 GMT 2018