OpenVZ Forum


Home » Mailing lists » Users » How-to upgrade a Ubuntu-8.04 LTS VE to a 10.04 VE?
How-to upgrade a Ubuntu-8.04 LTS VE to a 10.04 VE? [message #41588] Wed, 09 February 2011 01:52 Go to next message
Michael Chinn is currently offline  Michael Chinn
Messages: 3
Registered: February 2011
Junior Member
From: *parallels.com
Greetings:

I run Debian-5 (Lenny) as my OpenVZ host OS with 3 Ubuntu-8.04 LTS VE's
and a Debian-5 VE.

Question: I'd like to upgrade the production 8.04 VE's to 10.04.

Can this be done?

I tried searching but couldn't find a definitive (recommended) procedure
for performing a "distribution upgrade" to production VE's.

Is there such a procedure?

Thanks.
Michael

-------------------------
Michael Chinn
Miguel(dot)Chinn(at)Gmail(dot)com
Re: How-to upgrade a Ubuntu-8.04 LTS VE to a 10.04 VE? [message #41601 is a reply to message #41588] Wed, 09 February 2011 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Josip Rodin is currently offline  Josip Rodin
Messages: 14
Registered: November 2007
Junior Member
From: *parallels.com
On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 05:52:23PM -0800, Michael Chinn wrote:
> Question: I'd like to upgrade the production 8.04 VE's to 10.04.
>
> Can this be done?
>
> I tried searching but couldn't find a definitive (recommended) procedure
> for performing a "distribution upgrade" to production VE's.
>
> Is there such a procedure?

Do you have any reason to avoid simply following the Ubuntu upgrade
procedures?

--
2. That which causes joy or happiness.
Re: How-to upgrade a Ubuntu-8.04 LTS VE to a 10.04 VE? [message #41610 is a reply to message #41601] Thu, 10 February 2011 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Chinn is currently offline  Michael Chinn
Messages: 3
Registered: February 2011
Junior Member
From: *parallels.com
Josip,

Thanks for the note.

I tried to follow the CLI based procedure to upgrade 8.04 to 10.04. This
procedure was of course meant for upgrading a workstation/server not a
VE/VPS. As an experiment, I tried the following on a test 8.04-LTS VE:

#sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
#sudo nano /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades

set Prompt=lts

#sudo do-release-upgrade -d

The upgrade process produced some error such as:

Setting up makedev (2.3.1-89ubuntu1) ...
/sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices
/sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices
/sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices

and

Setting up klogd (1.5-5ubuntu4) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/klogd ...
* Stopping kernel log daemon...
* Starting kernel log daemon...
[ fail]

And then when I attempt to SSH in...

#vzctl enter 1041
enter into VE 1041 failed
Unable to open pty: No such file or directory

I tried to apply this fix to this error:

# vzctl exec 1041 /sbin/MAKEDEV tty
/sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices

And from: http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=34305

I tried this fix:
#vzctl exec 1041 'dpkg --force-depends --purge udev'
#vzctl exec 1041 update-rc.d -f udev remove
#vzctl restart 1041
#vzctl enter 1041
enter into VE 1041 failed
Unable to open pty: No such file or directory

No other fixes I found can seem to revive this VE. And it seems like
migrating/copying the data from the 8.04 VE's to 10.04 VE's is a more
straight-forward means of upgrading...

So, this is what I meant when I asked if there was a definitive,
recommended procedure to upgrade an 8.04 VE to a 10.04 VE.


Mike

On 02/09/2011 11:26 AM, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 05:52:23PM -0800, Michael Chinn wrote:
>> Question: I'd like to upgrade the production 8.04 VE's to 10.04.
>>
>> Can this be done?
>>
>> I tried searching but couldn't find a definitive (recommended) procedure
>> for performing a "distribution upgrade" to production VE's.
>>
>> Is there such a procedure?
>
> Do you have any reason to avoid simply following the Ubuntu upgrade
> procedures?
>

--
======================
Michael Chinn

Miguel.Chinn@Gmail.com
Office: +1.510.931.6170
Mob: +1.510.908.3015
Fax: +1.510.619.8438
Skype: mchinnp2f
Re: How-to upgrade a Ubuntu-8.04 LTS VE to a 10.04 VE? [message #41626 is a reply to message #41610] Thu, 10 February 2011 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Josip Rodin is currently offline  Josip Rodin
Messages: 14
Registered: November 2007
Junior Member
From: *parallels.com
On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 08:34:03PM -0800, Michael Chinn wrote:
> The upgrade process produced some error such as:
>
> Setting up makedev (2.3.1-89ubuntu1) ...
> /sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices
> /sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices
> /sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices

This stuff may be inconsequential... Did dpkg abort here or was this just
stderr output you noticed?

> Setting up klogd (1.5-5ubuntu4) ...
> Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/klogd ...
> * Stopping kernel log daemon...
> * Starting kernel log daemon...
> [ fail]

What does this machine's syslog say about klogd failing?
Read it through /var/lib/vz/root/1041/var/log/syslog or similar.

> Unable to open pty: No such file or directory
>
> And from: http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=34305
>
> I tried this fix:
> #vzctl exec 1041 'dpkg --force-depends --purge udev'
> #vzctl exec 1041 update-rc.d -f udev remove
> #vzctl restart 1041
> #vzctl enter 1041
> enter into VE 1041 failed
> Unable to open pty: No such file or directory

You removed udev, which controls /dev entries (wrongly in a VE, I guess),
but once you get rid of it, we're still not sure if the static /dev entries
got back in place, esp. if it's not working.

The linked bug report indicates that vzctl enter needs /dev/ptyp0. Can you
list the contents of the /var/lib/vz/root/1041/dev directory and see if it's
there now? If not, run "vzctl exec 1041 /sbin/MAKEDEV ptyp" and see if that
creates it?

--
2. That which causes joy or happiness.
Re: How-to upgrade a Ubuntu-8.04 LTS VE to a 10.04 VE? [message #41667 is a reply to message #41626] Mon, 14 February 2011 00:07 Go to previous message
Michael Chinn is currently offline  Michael Chinn
Messages: 3
Registered: February 2011
Junior Member
From: *parallels.com
On 02/10/2011 11:36 AM, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 08:34:03PM -0800, Michael Chinn wrote:
>> The upgrade process produced some error such as:
>>
>> Setting up makedev (2.3.1-89ubuntu1) ...
>> /sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices
>> /sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices
>> /sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices
>
> This stuff may be inconsequential... Did dpkg abort here or was this just
> stderr output you noticed?

No, this was stderr I noticed

>
>> Setting up klogd (1.5-5ubuntu4) ...
>> Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/klogd ...
>> * Stopping kernel log daemon...
>> * Starting kernel log daemon...
>> [ fail]
>
> What does this machine's syslog say about klogd failing?
> Read it through /var/lib/vz/root/1041/var/log/syslog or similar.
>
>> Unable to open pty: No such file or directory
>>
>> And from: http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=34305
>>
>> I tried this fix:
>> #vzctl exec 1041 'dpkg --force-depends --purge udev'
>> #vzctl exec 1041 update-rc.d -f udev remove
>> #vzctl restart 1041
>> #vzctl enter 1041
>> enter into VE 1041 failed
>> Unable to open pty: No such file or directory
>
> You removed udev, which controls /dev entries (wrongly in a VE, I guess),
> but once you get rid of it, we're still not sure if the static /dev entries
> got back in place, esp. if it's not working.
>
> The linked bug report indicates that vzctl enter needs /dev/ptyp0. Can you
> list the contents of the /var/lib/vz/root/1041/dev directory and see if it's
> there now? If not, run "vzctl exec 1041 /sbin/MAKEDEV ptyp" and see if that
> creates it?
>

Josip,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I think the amount of
thrashing (detective work) done so far to problem-solve this seems to
indicate that there is no clean LTS distribution upgrade for this VE.

I think I'll spare my cycles and instead migrate the data on the 8.04
VE's to 10.04 VE's. Thank you.
Previous Topic: Re: Where to upload Squeeze templates?
Next Topic: bind mounts and quota
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Dec 12 07:03:36 GMT 2018