OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » My Ultra Virtualization Home Rig runs OpenVZ and VMware at the same time! (I'm sooo happy!)
My Ultra Virtualization Home Rig runs OpenVZ and VMware at the same time! [message #39912] Tue, 22 June 2010 04:01
goodsamaritan is currently offline  goodsamaritan
My Ultra Virtualization Home Rig runs OpenVZ and VMware at the same time!

I have finally decided and executed my plan for my home test rig. I've got an Intel Quad Core Q9400 with 2 x 500GB hard drives and 4GB of Memory on an Intel motherboard with VT-X and VT-D enabled.

The whole weekend I installed:

CentOS 5.5 i386 as my host OS, not x86_64 since I only had 4GB of ram.
OpenVZ as my server virtualization layer
VMWare Player 3 for desktop and other virtualizations
Under OpenVZ I currently have 3 virtual machines running internet applications:

One for media such as Menalto Gallery for pictures and MediaTomb to serve MP3s and Videos using Ubuntu 10.04
One email server downloading gigabytes of email using Ubuntu 8.04 and Postfix and Dovecot
One Document Management System using KnowledgeTree using Ubuntu 8.04 as well. I got an older version of Knowledge Tree which I'm familiar with and less memory intensive
For the VMware desktop operating systems:

Ubuntu 10.04 desktop for my main desktop which I use extensively.
Windows 7 for testing what my customers see
Windows XP for testing again what my customers see
I will be looking at getting some VMware compatible MacOSX and some Solaris and FreeBSD as well that all run well under VMware.

All this running from one single 2.6.18 OpenVZ kernel!!!

Wow! OpenVZ guys, you rock!

From my blog: http://windows7ubuntu.com/2010/06/my-ultra-virtualization-ho me-rig-runs-openvz-and-vmware-at-the-same-time/

Network Administrator, Family Healer of incurable diseases http://www.curemanual.com
Previous Topic: Open Nas Template
Next Topic: User distribution vs. Enterprise distribution
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:57:31 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02271 seconds