OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Which Host Distro is most Future-Safe for OpenVZ?
Which Host Distro is most Future-Safe for OpenVZ? [message #39570] Wed, 12 May 2010 19:44 Go to next message
ceelian is currently offline  ceelian
Hi,

We were most of the times happy with ubuntu as a host system on our hardwarenodes but nowadays it seams that ubuntu and debian aren't anymore interested in supporting OpenVZ.

We keep an eye on switching to a more OpenVZ "friendly" Distro on our Hardwarenodes in the future. Which Distro would you recommend?

Answer from some "official" would be greatly appreciated (kir, can you hear me Wink

Thanks in Advance,
Christian
Re: Which Host Distro is most Future-Safe for OpenVZ? [message #39587 is a reply to message #39570] Thu, 13 May 2010 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lars.bailey is currently offline  lars.bailey
CENTOS 5,is an enterprise level OS(EL5)
DEBIAN and their off-spring,is a desk-level distro,that I never cared about,even in the old days.
What I'm gearing up to do,is moving off CENTOS 5.4,to CAOS NSA.
I want to experiemnt with HA Clustering,and using CAOS/PERCEUS,would be a good starting point.
It is REDHAT underneath.
I think REDHAT is a good choice for OVZ,and I personally think
DEBIAN use is waining.(ask my customers)
It would be nice,to hear from Kir.
Re: Which Host Distro is most Future-Safe for OpenVZ? [message #39599 is a reply to message #39570] Fri, 14 May 2010 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunoano is currently offline  sunoano
ceelian wrote on Wed, 12 May 2010 15:44

We were most of the times happy with ubuntu as a host system on our hardwarenodes but nowadays it seams that ubuntu and debian aren't anymore interested in supporting OpenVZ.

Wrong, in fact Debian is very actively working with the OpenVZ folks, don't believe me? ... have a look at debian-devel mailing list.

Debian is also providing the .32 kernel image
sa@wks:~$ type acsn; acsn linux-image-2.6.32-5-openvz-amd64
acsn is aliased to `apt-cache search --names-only'
linux-image-2.6.32-5-openvz-amd64 - Linux 2.6.32 for 64-bit PCs, OpenVZ support
sa@wks:~$

There is also a lot of docu about Debian and OpenVZ out there http://sunoano.name/ws/openvz.html
Re: Which Host Distro is most Future-Safe for OpenVZ? [message #39600 is a reply to message #39587] Fri, 14 May 2010 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunoano is currently offline  sunoano
lars.bailey wrote on Thu, 13 May 2010 04:56

DEBIAN and their off-spring,is a desk-level distro,that I never cared about,even in the old days.
I think REDHAT is a good choice for OVZ,and I personally think
DEBIAN use is waining.(ask my customers)

Ok, you are somebody who's on his very personal Jihad for anything that's not RH or RH based. Debian works perfectly fine so by all means, stop spreading FUD.
Re: Which Host Distro is most Future-Safe for OpenVZ? [message #39602 is a reply to message #39570] Fri, 14 May 2010 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@ Sunoano

I normally do not respond to such trivial remarks,but I will.
The only true "jihadist" here,is you.
You seem to be the one dismayed at the discouraging remarks about DEBIAN.
So what?
Somebody felt that OVZ support in DEBIAN was waining,and you re-enforced the remark with facts.
Fine.
But DEBIAN is not an enterprise level distro.
It does not try to be.
It does however run extremely well on low-end hardware,and makes for a good small server. That's what makes it attractive to use.
That's my opinion,based on my particular usage of DEBIAN.
Get over it.
I'm here to pass along remarks and tested methods in using OVZ,in hopes it helps.(Check out "OSPF in VE,Part Deux)
I'm not here to get into a flame war,over a remark that wasn't worth my time writing about.
As a side note,if I was truly here to spread FUD,as you call it,I would be writing about my personal experiences with SOLARIS containers.

Peace out.
Re: Which Host Distro is most Future-Safe for OpenVZ? [message #39852 is a reply to message #39602] Thu, 10 June 2010 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vavatutu is currently offline  vavatutu
Do I always need a distro to run OpenVZ ? In my case, I don't use a distro but just kernel+initrd+my own application that doesn't need gnome/kde (basically am embedded platform). Is it possible to use OpenVZ in such cases ?
Re: Which Host Distro is most Future-Safe for OpenVZ? [message #39882 is a reply to message #39852] Mon, 14 June 2010 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curious concept.
Which embedded platform?
Of course,you need some form of OS,but as far as a distro setup,you can do a bare-bones install.(no X-Windows,Gnome,KDE,etc)
This in most cases,amounts to less than 500M in size,and is preferred.
My Node is bare-bones,but have added some additional side-packages
for security and monitoring.
REDHAT is "default" for OVZ(Centos5),and DEBIAN works well also.
I use Fedora 9.
Re: Which Host Distro is most Future-Safe for OpenVZ? [message #39964 is a reply to message #39602] Thu, 01 July 2010 01:29 Go to previous message
whit is currently offline  whit
This is getting silly. Debian has long been a favorite for running servers. Ubuntu Server, derived of course from it, now has a share of the server market equal to RHEL. I've got servers running Ubuntu Server, RHEL and its clone CentOS, and the Ubuntu/Debian technology is more current, while being at least equal in quality and stability. I've run Debian servers before too. They were rock solid. If you don't know enough to take any major Linux distro and tune it to be a serious server, you don't have sufficient skills and should find something else to do. They aren't that different; the skillsets largely overlap.
Previous Topic: User distribution vs. Enterprise distribution
Next Topic: cannot login in OpenVZ web panel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 09:01:33 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02459 seconds