OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Performance benefits in using other OS template caches?
Performance benefits in using other OS template caches? [message #36850] Thu, 23 July 2009 20:22 Go to next message
irontowngeek is currently offline  irontowngeek
I use the default supported OpenVZ platform.(i.e Centos-5)
I also use a Centos-5 OS template cache.
Has anyone found any performance benefits,in using other OS template caches(i.e DEBIAN),other than having familiarity.
I have not seen any real advantages,in my particular testing,other than moving away from EXT3,to using a combination of XFS and JFS filesystems on the Node server.
Although,I like DEBIAN for use on low-end machines,as a physical OS,does it really matter,as far as the VE is concerned?
This is mainly out of curiosity.
Re: Performance benefits in using other OS template caches? [message #39344 is a reply to message #36850] Wed, 07 April 2010 16:21 Go to previous message
max.havoc is currently offline  max.havoc
The best network performance gains that I have found,is moving off of using "iproute",to a full featured router,like QUAGGA.
Moving away from "iproute" to OSPF on QUAGGA,I have seen gains of 30% in VPS network performance.
OSPF only runs on the Node server.
All VE's are non-bridged,and have one directive added to their static network configurations.

GATEWAY=w.x.y.z.

This points to the VETH adapter's IP address.
I have seen no added benefit,from running different OS templates.
Previous Topic: Is complex dynamic scripting,really necessary?
Next Topic: Is the OpenVZ project dying?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 09:34:40 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02470 seconds