OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Is the OpenVZ project dying?
Is the OpenVZ project dying? [message #35828] Sat, 25 April 2009 09:37 Go to next message
tpso
Hello out their.

Im going to update af number of openvz servers, and wanted to update the different tools as well.

But it seems that nearly nothing has happend with openvz tools for
the last two years.

Old errors with wrong dependcies in vzyum on x86_64 described back in 2006 still exists, and the newest centos metedata package is centos 4.

Is it time to shift to a different vitualization platform, or am I just looking the wrong places.

I really like openvz, so I hope I just have to look elsewhere.

regards Thomas
Re: Is the OpenVZ project dying? [message #35829 is a reply to message #35828] Sat, 25 April 2009 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

vzpkg and template metadata is not gonna be maintained, either use precreated templates or try vzpkg2.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Is the OpenVZ project dying? [message #35902 is a reply to message #35828] Thu, 30 April 2009 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Avi Brender is currently offline  Avi Brender
Hi Kir,

Do you know how the kernels will continue to be maintained?

For example the latest RHEL5 based kernel is not up to date Sad

Which kernel is actively being updated with the latest security fixes?

Thanks & all the best,
Re: Is the OpenVZ project dying? [message #35903 is a reply to message #35902] Thu, 30 April 2009 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

Avi Brender wrote on Thu, 30 April 2009 05:52

Hi Kir,

Do you know how the kernels will continue to be maintained?

Yes. Basically, we will keep supporting our stable branches (RHEL4- and RHEL5-based) for a while (i.e. a few years).

As for the development stuff, the plan is to eventually drop 2.6.24 and 2.6.26 and only maintain 2.6.27.

As for the future kernels (i.e. >2.6.27), nothing is set in stone yet.

Quote:

For example the latest RHEL5 based kernel is not up to date Sad

If you know some security issue which is not covered in the latest RHEL4- or RHEL5-based kernel, please file a bug.

If you just mean that OpenVZ kernels still haven't rebased to RHEL5.3, that is correct. We are working on that. That doesn't mean though our current kernels are vulnerable or smth -- it's a different issue.

Quote:

Which kernel is actively being updated with the latest security fixes?

All the kernels that are marked as "maintained" in wiki. For the moment those are RHEL4-based, RHEL5-based, 2.6.24, 2.6.26, 2.6.27.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Is the OpenVZ project dying? [message #35905 is a reply to message #35828] Thu, 30 April 2009 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Avi Brender is currently offline  Avi Brender
Hi Kir,

Thanks for the response. There is a security bug which was fixed in the latest 5.3 kernel which can lead to remote privilege escalation so I'm going to file a bug report

All the best,
Re: Is the OpenVZ project dying? [message #39349 is a reply to message #35828] Thu, 08 April 2010 04:56 Go to previous message
max.havoc is currently offline  max.havoc
Of all the threads I have read,this one should have many comments.
I as a network admin,we use Solaris 10 servers with container virtualization.
Since we wanted to add LINUX to the mix,I felt adding a LINUX OSPF spur would be the hot ticket,with OpenVZ.
Although I knew first hand,OpenVZ lacked "tools",this should never be a yardstick in not choosing this software.
As an Admin,creating tools is a "no=brainer" in this capacity.
Do not complain in areas that you have no control over,but give
experience to those areas you do have control over.
As I have stated many times,documentation is the "lifeblood" of any software application.
Give your experience to others,and you will see how far OpenVZ can go.
Previous Topic: Performance benefits in using other OS template caches?
Next Topic: Your web hosting provider?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:47:11 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02446 seconds