OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Is complex dynamic scripting,really necessary?
Is complex dynamic scripting,really necessary? [message #34738] Thu, 29 January 2009 16:48 Go to next message
irontowngeek is currently offline  irontowngeek
I have used Open Virtuosso for about a year now.
My HN,runs eight VE containers.
In reading various HOWTO articles on the WIKI,everyone seems to think that you have to write a mile long script,covering front to back,in getting persistent virtual Ethernet networking,up and running on a HN,or VE.
First,a bridge can be configured statically. (i.e ifcfg-br0)
Second,VETH devices can be added to a bridged adapter,via writing a simple,"rc" type file,to load at boot. These files load after all *.init scripts.
And lastly,persistent Ethernet setups in a VE,can be achieved also,by a static configuration (i.e ifcfg-eth0) and an rc.* file,to add routing entries,within a VE container.
This method works for me,and could get someone up and running,and they in turn,can advance the scripts to suit them.
No complex scripts,and no mucking around in the vz.conf file,as some Author's suggest.
Although,dynamic scripting in some cases,has its virtue,why try to reinvent the wheel?
A simple HOWTO,on virtual Ethernet networking,would go a long way for those who may be new to OpenVZ,or are not that well versed,in LINUX scripting.
Any advanced scripting,could be added to the HOWTO,as value reading.
After all,no one is born with a keyboard or mouse in their hands,even though some,would like to make you think,otherwise.
Just a thought.
Re: Is complex dynamic scripting,really necessary? [message #34739 is a reply to message #34738] Thu, 29 January 2009 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

It would be great if you will now go ahead and modify the wiki. After all, this is what wiki is for!

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Is complex dynamic scripting,really necessary? [message #34755 is a reply to message #34739] Sat, 31 January 2009 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
irontowngeek is currently offline  irontowngeek
You are right about posting my particular instructions on the wiki,but right now,I'm strapped for time.
My thought came up,while gleaming through some of the Howto's on the wiki.
If anyone is interested in posting it for me,I will gladly send it for inspection,and criticism.
I'm not one for seeking my moniker on a web site.
I just try to share my experiences with those,who may be seeking alternative methods,in using OpenVZ.
Thanks for responding.
Re: Is complex dynamic scripting,really necessary? [message #39343 is a reply to message #34738] Wed, 07 April 2010 16:09 Go to previous message
max.havoc is currently offline  max.havoc
The answer to this question from me,is "No".
Complex scripting is not required,even at the level I use OpenVZ.
(traffic conditioning,VPN,GRE tunnels)
I always choose the simplist method of configurations.
Although,static VETH configurations on the Node server will cause "error" messages to be displayed upon boot-up(no VETH device found),this is simply has to do with run-level timings between the "network" daemon,and OpenVZ.
This was an easy fix,as I created an "init" garbage collecter script,to remove all known "VETH" configurations,and create a "loader" script,to transfer all "VETH" configurations from a given directory,just before OpenVZ starts.
This script was later changed to add specific kernel keys that OpenVZ and/or networking required.
Previous Topic: Is there a control panel for managing shared webhosting
Next Topic: Performance benefits in using other OS template caches?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:06:46 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02396 seconds