OpenVZ Forum


Home » Mailing lists » Users » [solved] problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3
[solved] problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3 [message #30515] Tue, 27 May 2008 18:58 Go to next message
gildo.rex is currently offline  gildo.rex
Messages: 5
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
Hi all,

I've got some problems installing openVZ and would be very grateful, if anyone could help me further. I'll try to provide the necessary information, but as I don't know, what might be needed, please tell me if you need more input:

I'm running opensuse 10.3 on my computer and tried to install openvz. 
I've downloaded the package

kernel-ovz-2.6.16.46_027test011-0.12.i686.rpm

from the openvz homepage.
Next I started the installation via rpm -ivh, checked the GRUB-loader /boot/grub/menu-lst and rebooted. The entry was shown and selectable but the kernel didn't boot.

Later I found another package at 

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/openvz/SUSE_Linux_10.1/

but the installation didn't work either.

I remove the silent entry from GRUB and saw, that both kernels seemed not to be able to find the disk - but that is the same as for the normal kernel as well as for the also installed XEN-kernel.

My suspect is, that the kernels do not match (please don't laugh, I'm a newbie).

My normal kernel:
stephan@mpiphysicaltest1:~> uname -r
2.6.22.17-0.1-default

And the /boot/grub/menu.lst looks like this:

# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Tue May 27 19:12:02 CEST 2008
default 3
timeout 8
##YaST - generic_mbr
gfxmenu (hd0,1)/boot/message
##YaST - activate

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title Ovzpae -- openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.16.43-027test002-24.1
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16.43-027test002-24.1-ovzpae root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_MAXTOR_STM33208_9QF9K35F-part2 vga=0x31a acpi=off resume=/dev/sda1  showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.16.43-027test002-24.1-ovzpae

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux-2.6.16-027test011-0.12-ovz###
title Ovz -- openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.16-027test011-0.12
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-027test011-0.12-ovz root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_MAXTOR_STM33208_9QF9K35F-part2 vga=0x31a acpi=off resume=/dev/sda1 showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.16-027test011-0.12-ovz

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: xen###
title XEN -- openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.22.17-0.1
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/xen.gz
    module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.17-0.1-xen root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_MAXTOR_STM33208_9QF9K35F-part2 vga=0x31a acpi=off resume=/dev/sda1 showopts
    module /boot/initrd-2.6.22.17-0.1-xen

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux-2.6.22.17-0.1-default###
title openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.22.17-0.1
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.17-0.1-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_MAXTOR_STM33208_9QF9K35F-part2 vga=0x31a acpi=off resume=/dev/sda1 showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.17-0.1-default

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.22.17-0.1
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.17-0.1-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_MAXTOR_STM33208_9QF9K35F-part2 vga=normal showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.17-0.1-default

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
title Floppy
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    chainloader (fd0)+1


Do you have any idea, what might be wrong? Is it the wrong package? Where can I get the right package?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards

Stephan
-- 
GMX startet ShortView.de. Hier findest Du Leute mit Deinen Interessen!
Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx

[Updated on: Wed, 13 August 2008 10:03] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3 [message #30523 is a reply to message #30515] Wed, 28 May 2008 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abhinav Lele is currently offline  Abhinav Lele
Messages: 7
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
Hi,
Im not a openvz expert, but your problem probably lies elsewhere.
Instead of using root=/dev/disk/...... use something like /dev/sdb1 ...

To find this out for your system, from a terminal as root
type fdisk -l
You will see a list of all file partitions that you currently have. If
you installed in the first partition it would be typically be
something like /dev/sda1 or /dev/hdd1.

Create a new entry in menu.lst ( /boot/grub/menu.lst) with something like this


title SUSE-OVZ
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-027test011-0.12-ovz boot=/dev/sda1
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.16-027test011-0.12-ovz

lemme know if this works.

-Abhinav

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 12:28 AM,  <gildo.rex@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got some problems installing openVZ and would be very grateful, if anyone could help me further. I'll try to provide the necessary information, but as I don't know, what might be needed, please tell me if you need more input:
>
> I'm running opensuse 10.3 on my computer and tried to install openvz.
> I've downloaded the package
>
> kernel-ovz-2.6.16.46_027test011-0.12.i686.rpm
>
> from the openvz homepage.
> Next I started the installation via rpm -ivh, checked the GRUB-loader /boot/grub/menu-lst and rebooted. The entry was shown and selectable but the kernel didn't boot.
>
> Later I found another package at
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/openvz/SUSE_Linux_10.1/
>
> but the installation didn't work either.
>
> I remove the silent entry from GRUB and saw, that both kernels seemed not to be able to find the disk - but that is the same as for the normal kernel as well as for the also installed XEN-kernel.
>
> My suspect is, that the kernels do not match (please don't laugh, I'm a newbie).
>
> My normal kernel:
> stephan@mpiphysicaltest1:~> uname -r
> 2.6.22.17-0.1-default
>
> And the /boot/grub/menu.lst looks like this:
>
> # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Tue May 27 19:12:02 CEST 2008
> default 3
> timeout 8
> ##YaST - generic_mbr
> gfxmenu (hd0,1)/boot/message
> ##YaST - activate
>
> ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
> title Ovzpae -- openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.16.43-027test002-24.1
>    root (hd0,1)
>    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16.43-027test002-24.1-ovzpae root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_MAXTOR_STM33208_9QF9K35F-part2 vga=0x31a acpi=off resume=/dev/sda1  showopts
>    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.16.43-027test002-24.1-ovzpae
>
> ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux-2.6.16-027test011-0.12-ovz###
> title Ovz -- openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.16-027test011-0.12
>    root (hd0,1)
>    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-027test011-0.12-ovz root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_MAXTOR_STM33208_9QF9K35F-part2 vga=0x31a acpi=off resume=/dev/sda1 showopts
>    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.16-027test011-0.12-ovz
>
> ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: xen###
> title XEN -- openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.22.17-0.1
>    root (hd0,1)
>    kernel /boot/xen.gz
>    module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.17-0.1-xen root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_MAXTOR_STM33208_9QF9K35F-part2 vga=0x31a acpi=off resume=/dev/sda1 showopts
>    module /boot/initrd-2.6.22.17-0.1-xen
>
> ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux-2.6.22.17-0.1-default###
> title openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.22.17-0.1
>    root (hd0,1)
>    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.17-0.1-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_MAXTOR_STM33208_9QF9K35F-part2 vga=0x31a acpi=off resume=/dev/sda1 showopts
>    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.17-0.1-default
>
> ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
> title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.22.17-0.1
>    root (hd0,1)
>    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.17-0.1-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_MAXTOR_STM33208_9QF9K35F-part2 vga=normal showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
>    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.17-0.1-default
>
> ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
> title Floppy
>    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
>    chainloader (fd0)+1
>
>
> Do you have any idea, what might be wrong? Is it the wrong package? Where can I get the right package?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Stephan
> --
> GMX startet ShortView.de. Hier findest Du Leute mit Deinen Interessen!
> Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx
Re: problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3 [message #30530 is a reply to message #30523] Wed, 28 May 2008 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander GQ Gerasiov is currently offline  Alexander GQ Gerasiov
Messages: 8
Registered: April 2008
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
 Wed, 28 May 2008 10:46:33 +0530
"Abhinav Lele" <abhinav.lele@gmail.com> :

> Hi,
> Im not a openvz expert, but your problem probably lies elsewhere.
> Instead of using root=/dev/disk/...... use something
> like /dev/sdb1 ...
Bad idea.
/dev/disk is better anyway.
Looks like problem is in wrong initrd image.

-- 
Best regards,
 Alexander GQ Gerasiov

 Contacts:
 e-mail:    gq@cs.msu.su             Jabber:  gq@jabber.ru
 Homepage:  http://gq.net.ru         ICQ:     7272757
 PGP fingerprint: 0628 ACC7 291A D4AA 6D7D  79B8 0641 D82A E3E3 CE1D
Re: problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3 [message #30533 is a reply to message #30530] Wed, 28 May 2008 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abhinav Lele is currently offline  Abhinav Lele
Messages: 7
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
why ?

2008/5/28 Alexander GQ Gerasiov <gq@cs.msu.su>:
>  Wed, 28 May 2008 10:46:33 +0530
> "Abhinav Lele" <abhinav.lele@gmail.com> :
>
>> Hi,
>> Im not a openvz expert, but your problem probably lies elsewhere.
>> Instead of using root=/dev/disk/...... use something
>> like /dev/sdb1 ...
> Bad idea.
> /dev/disk is better anyway.
> Looks like problem is in wrong initrd image.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>  Alexander GQ Gerasiov
>
>  Contacts:
>  e-mail:    gq@cs.msu.su             Jabber:  gq@jabber.ru
>  Homepage:  http://gq.net.ru         ICQ:     7272757
>  PGP fingerprint: 0628 ACC7 291A D4AA 6D7D  79B8 0641 D82A E3E3 CE1D
>
Re: problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3 [message #30539 is a reply to message #30533] Wed, 28 May 2008 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander GQ Gerasiov is currently offline  Alexander GQ Gerasiov
Messages: 8
Registered: April 2008
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
На Wed, 28 May 2008 14:17:40 +0530
"Abhinav Lele" <abhinav.lele@gmail.com> записано:

> why ?
Because it's independent to disk order (may be very useful if you have
more that one hdd controller, or want to move some of your drives
from one basket into another one).
Re: problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3 [message #30540 is a reply to message #30539] Wed, 28 May 2008 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abhinav Lele is currently offline  Abhinav Lele
Messages: 7
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
thnx .. how is this approach suited to specifying a UUID for a partition .

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Alexander GQ Gerasiov <gq@cs.msu.su> wrote:
>  Wed, 28 May 2008 14:17:40 +0530
> "Abhinav Lele" <abhinav.lele@gmail.com> :
>
>> why ?
> Because it's independent to disk order (may be very useful if you have
> more that one hdd controller, or want to move some of your drives
> from one basket into another one).
>
Re: problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3 [message #30541 is a reply to message #30540] Wed, 28 May 2008 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abhinav Lele is currently offline  Abhinav Lele
Messages: 7
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
missed some words.. please excuse

thnx ... how is this approach vs specifying UUID

2008/5/28 Abhinav Lele <abhinav.lele@gmail.com>:
> thnx .. how is this approach suited to specifying a UUID for a partition .
>
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Alexander GQ Gerasiov <gq@cs.msu.su> wrote:
>>  Wed, 28 May 2008 14:17:40 +0530
>> "Abhinav Lele" <abhinav.lele@gmail.com> :
>>
>>> why ?
>> Because it's independent to disk order (may be very useful if you have
>> more that one hdd controller, or want to move some of your drives
>> from one basket into another one).
>>
Re: problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3 [message #30545 is a reply to message #30515] Wed, 28 May 2008 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gildo.rex is currently offline  gildo.rex
Messages: 5
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
> > Hi,
> > Im not a openvz expert, but your problem probably lies elsewhere.
> > Instead of using root=/dev/disk/...... use something
> > like /dev/sdb1 ...
> Bad idea.
> /dev/disk is better anyway.

Ok, so I'll ignore the 1st hint.

> Looks like problem is in wrong initrd image.

what does this mean for me? what can/should I do?

Kind regards 

Stephan
-- 
Psssst! Schon vom neuen GMX MultiMessenger gehrt?
Der kann`s mit allen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger
Re: problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3 [message #30546 is a reply to message #30545] Wed, 28 May 2008 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abhinav Lele is currently offline  Abhinav Lele
Messages: 7
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
hi Stephen,
Maybe my idea is a bad one but does it work ?

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 5:17 PM,  <gildo.rex@gmx.de> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > Im not a openvz expert, but your problem probably lies elsewhere.
>> > Instead of using root=/dev/disk/...... use something
>> > like /dev/sdb1 ...
>> Bad idea.
>> /dev/disk is better anyway.
>
> Ok, so I'll ignore the 1st hint.
>
>> Looks like problem is in wrong initrd image.
>
> what does this mean for me? what can/should I do?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Stephan
> --
> Psssst! Schon vom neuen GMX MultiMessenger gehrt?
> Der kann`s mit allen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger
Re: problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3 [message #30554 is a reply to message #30515] Wed, 28 May 2008 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gildo.rex is currently offline  gildo.rex
Messages: 5
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
Hi,

> hi Stephen,
> Maybe my idea is a bad one but does it work ?

ok, I got your discussion like you agreed, that it wouldn't work. My mistake!
> 
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 5:17 PM,  <gildo.rex@gmx.de> wrote:
> >> > Hi,
> >> > Im not a openvz expert, but your problem probably lies elsewhere.
> >> > Instead of using root=/dev/disk/...... use something
> >> > like /dev/sdb1 ...
> >> Bad idea.
> >> /dev/disk is better anyway.

I checked my harddisk using fdisk -l:

test1:~ # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000f2454

   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1         262     2104483+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda2   *         263       38913   310464157+  83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x6d8cf30e

   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1               1       38913   312568641    7  HPFS/NTFS


so I created a new entry in menu.lst referring /dev/sda2:

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title Ovztry
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16.43-027test002-24.1-ovzpae root=/dev/sda2 vga=0x31a  acpi=off resume=/dev/sda1  showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.16.43-027test002-24.1-ovzpae

The bootprocess didn't find the disk again and tried once more with

/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_MAXTOR_STM33208_9QF9K35F-part2

but that didn't work either like before.

Is there any possibility to let you see the boot messages?

Do you have any more hints?

Kind regards

Stephan
-- 
GMX startet ShortView.de. Hier findest Du Leute mit Deinen Interessen!
Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx
Re: problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3 [message #30557 is a reply to message #30554] Wed, 28 May 2008 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Messages: 488
Registered: January 2006
Location: Moscow, Russia
Senior Member
From: *sw.ru
BTW, /etc/fstab entries also should be changed accordingly.

If you problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Re: problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3 [message #30559 is a reply to message #30554] Wed, 28 May 2008 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carl-Daniel Hailfinge is currently offline  Carl-Daniel Hailfinge
Messages: 15
Registered: February 2007
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
On 28.05.2008 16:02, gildo.rex@gmx.de wrote:
>
> title Ovztry
>     root (hd0,1)
>     kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16.43-027test002-24.1-ovzpae root=/dev/sda2 vga=0x31a  acpi=off resume=/dev/sda1  showopts
>     initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.16.43-027test002-24.1-ovzpae
>
> The bootprocess didn't find the disk again and tried once more with
>
> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_MAXTOR_STM33208_9QF9K35F-part2
>
> but that didn't work either like before.
>
> Is there any possibility to let you see the boot messages?
>
> Do you have any more hints?
>   

I think the kernel is too old to support your hardware well enough.
Besides that, I'm not sure an opensuse 10.1 kernel can work on an
opensuse 10.3 installation. The initrd creation scripts assume a lot
about the kernel which is not true with older kernels.


Regards,
Carl-Daniel
Re: problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3 [message #30561 is a reply to message #30515] Wed, 28 May 2008 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gildo.rex is currently offline  gildo.rex
Messages: 5
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
Hi Carl-Daniel,

> I think the kernel is too old to support your hardware well enough.
> Besides that, I'm not sure an opensuse 10.1 kernel can work on an
> opensuse 10.3 installation. The initrd creation scripts assume a lot
> about the kernel which is not true with older kernels.

It's not, that I didn't search for a more suitable kernel, but I didn't find one (or don't know enough about Linux to recognize one). Could you recommend me a package for openSuSe 10.3?

Kind regards

Stephan
-- 
Super-Aktion nur in der GMX Spieleflat: 10 Tage fr 1 Euro.
ber 180 Spiele downloaden: http://flat.games.gmx.de
openvz tcp&networking tunning [message #30569 is a reply to message #30561] Wed, 28 May 2008 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zhaohui Wang is currently offline  Zhaohui Wang
Messages: 10
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
Hi all

Can anyone tell me that how to use tcpsndbuf,tcprcvbuf,dgrmbuf to tune the container's networking?

What's the unit of such parameters,Bytes or Kbyte,if I changed them to bigger or smaller ones,what will happen?


Best Regards
Zhaohui Wang
Re: openvz tcp&networking tunning [message #30579 is a reply to message #30569] Thu, 29 May 2008 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
den is currently offline  den
Messages: 494
Registered: December 2005
Senior Member
From: openvz.org
On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 17:48 -0400, Zhaohui Wang wrote:
> 
> Hi all
> 
> Can anyone tell me that how to use tcpsndbuf,tcprcvbuf,dgrmbuf to tune the container's networking?
> 
> What's the unit of such parameters,Bytes or Kbyte,if I changed them to bigger or smaller ones,what will happen?

pls read this first:
http://wiki.openvz.org/Tcprcvbuf#tcprcvbuf

If some questions will remain - welcome.

Regards,
	Den
Re: openvz tcp&networking tunning [message #30585 is a reply to message #30569] Thu, 29 May 2008 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MailingListe is currently offline  MailingListe
Messages: 29
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
Zitat von Zhaohui Wang <zwange@gmu.edu>:

>
>
> Hi all
>
> Can anyone tell me that how to use tcpsndbuf,tcprcvbuf,dgrmbuf to   
> tune the container's networking?
>
> What's the unit of such parameters,Bytes or Kbyte,if I changed them   
> to bigger or smaller ones,what will happen?


These are resource values. If you set them too small your applications  
inside the VE will not work if you set them too high your  
Hardware-Node may run out of steam.
The values cannot be used as performance tuning for your applications!!

Regards

Andreas


-- 
All your trash belong to us ;-)  www.spamschlucker.org
To: stephan@spamschlucker.org
RE: openvz tcp&networking tunning [message #30593 is a reply to message #30585] Thu, 29 May 2008 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zhaohui Wang is currently offline  Zhaohui Wang
Messages: 10
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
Thanks,Andreas.


Since I can not use this values to tune my application,is there any other mechanism to do this in openvz,more specificly, is there a way to do rate control/management for VEs?

Thanks a lot

Best Regards
Zhaohui Wang


> -----Original Message-----
> From: users-bounces@openvz.org [mailto:users-bounces@openvz.org] On
> Behalf Of MailingListe
> Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:22 AM
> To: users@openvz.org
> Subject: Re: [Users] openvz tcp&networking tunning
> 
> Zitat von Zhaohui Wang <zwange@gmu.edu>:
> 
> >
> >
> > Hi all
> >
> > Can anyone tell me that how to use tcpsndbuf,tcprcvbuf,dgrmbuf to
> > tune the container's networking?
> >
> > What's the unit of such parameters,Bytes or Kbyte,if I changed them
> > to bigger or smaller ones,what will happen?
> 
> 
> These are resource values. If you set them too small your applications
> inside the VE will not work if you set them too high your
> Hardware-Node may run out of steam.
> The values cannot be used as performance tuning for your applications!!
> 
> Regards
> 
> Andreas
> 
> 
> --
> All your trash belong to us ;-)  www.spamschlucker.org
> To: stephan@spamschlucker.org
> 
>
Re: openvz tcp&networking tunning [message #30594 is a reply to message #30593] Thu, 29 May 2008 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Josip Rodin is currently offline  Josip Rodin
Messages: 14
Registered: November 2007
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:50:19PM -0400, Zhaohui Wang wrote:
> Since I can not use this values to tune my application,is there any other
> mechanism to do this in openvz,more specificly, is there a way to do rate
> control/management for VEs?

Netfilter and network queuing/scheduling in the kernel? IOW, iptables and tc?

-- 
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.
RE: openvz tcp&networking tunning [message #30617 is a reply to message #30593] Fri, 30 May 2008 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MailingListe is currently offline  MailingListe
Messages: 29
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
Zitat von Zhaohui Wang <zwange@gmu.edu>:

> Thanks,Andreas.
>
>
> Since I can not use this values to tune my application,is there any   
> other mechanism to do this in openvz,more specificly, is there a way  
>  to do rate control/management for VEs?


http://wiki.openvz.org/Traffic_shaping_with_tc

But i have never used it myself...

Regards

Andreas


-- 
All your trash belong to us ;-)  www.spamschlucker.org
To: stephan@spamschlucker.org
Re: problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3 [message #30660 is a reply to message #30561] Mon, 02 June 2008 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Messages: 488
Registered: January 2006
Location: Moscow, Russia
Senior Member
From: *sw.ru
Hi Stephan (gildo.rex),

could you please tell me if you succeeded in booting OVZ kernel on your node (OpenSUSE 10.3)?
If yes, can you please post a solution?

Thank you!
--
Konstantin


If you problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Re: Re: problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3 [message #30666 is a reply to message #30523] Mon, 02 June 2008 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gildo.rex is currently offline  gildo.rex
Messages: 5
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
Hi Konstantin,

due to lack of time I couldn't progress.
Moreover I'm still lacking of a good approach how ot solve my problem. I tried Abhinav's suggestion, but without success.

Kind Regards 

Stephan


> 
> Hi Stephan (gildo.rex),
> 
> could you please tell me if you succeeded in booting OVZ kernel on  your
> node (OpenSUSE 10.3)?
> If yes, can you please post a solution?
> 
> Thank you!
> --
> Konstantin

-- 
Psssst! Schon vom neuen GMX MultiMessenger gehrt?
Der kann`s mit allen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger
Re: Re: problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3 [message #30670 is a reply to message #30666] Mon, 02 June 2008 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Messages: 488
Registered: January 2006
Location: Moscow, Russia
Senior Member
From: *sw.ru
Stephan,

> I tried Abhinav's suggestion, but without success.

Had you also corrected /etc/fstab?

This issue is interesting for me and i want to understand what causes boot failures. If you have the possibility to continue the problem investigation - i'd like to help.
If you still have no free time, may be you can provide me access to that node via private message?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Konstantin


If you problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Re: Re: problems installing openvz on opensuse 10.3 [message #32521 is a reply to message #30670] Wed, 13 August 2008 10:02 Go to previous message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Messages: 488
Registered: January 2006
Location: Moscow, Russia
Senior Member
From: *sw.ru
Hi all,

we've investigated the issue and found the problem.
To fix it one needs to recompile the kernel with the following patch:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6 .git;a=commit;h=d7b8bcb0a0819315a51cae620ff7ae0c1704c069

During the start up initrd/boot/04-udev.sh script starts udev and then calls udevtrigger utility to force udev to create appropriate files in /dev directory which should based on that are placed in /sys.
Unfortunately, udev rules were created with an assumption of the existence modalias for scsi devices. This patch will be included into one of the future kernels.

Hope this helps.

--
Konstantin


If you problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Previous Topic: No source code in download.openvz.org/debian/
Next Topic: RE: vzmemcheck
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Jul 16 20:32:24 GMT 2018