OpenVZ Forum


Home » Mailing lists » Users » Unable to start VPS on Debian Etch
Unable to start VPS on Debian Etch [message #21822] Tue, 16 October 2007 15:10 Go to next message
rmello is currently offline  rmello
Messages: 15
Registered: October 2007
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
I am unable to start a VPS under a Debian Etch host. I can't find any
useful message as to why it's failing to start the VPS on
/var/log/vzctl.log.

The machine is a dual quad-core Xeon (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5345 @
2.33GHz). I used the debian-4.0-i386-minimal.tar.gz template from
openvz.org to create the VE.

Here's what I get when I try to start the VE:

michael:/etc/vz# vzctl --verbose start 101
Unable to open /usr/lib/vzctl/modules/: No such file or directory
Starting VPS ...
Mounting root: /srv/vz/root/101 /srv/vz/private/101
VPS is mounted
VPS start failed
Running: /usr/sbin/vzquota stat 101 -f
VPS is unmounted

Kernel:

Linux michael 2.6.18-openvz-13-39.1d1-amd64 #1 SMP Sat Sep 29 15:02:55
MSD 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I grabbed the kernel from
http://download.openvz.org/kernel/debian/etch/ and put it in place
manually because the package wouldn't install because I am running a
32-bit userland, but wanted the 64 bit kernel. It did kernel panic for
me yesterday when trying to do something on OpenVZ (I can't remember
what it was unfortunately).

And here are the VZ modules I have loaded. /etc/init.d/vz has been
started successfully:

michael:/etc/vz# lsmod | grep vz
vznetdev 26752 1
vzethdev 17040 0
vzrst 129832 0
ip_nat 24720 1 vzrst
vzcpt 109368 0
ip_conntrack 72596 3 vzrst,ip_nat,vzcpt
vzdquota 47464 0 [permanent]
vzmon 50448 4 vznetdev,vzethdev,vzrst,vzcpt
vzdev 8456 4 vznetdev,vzethdev,vzdquota,vzmon
ipv6 298208 29 vzrst,vzcpt,vzmon

I don't know what else to look for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Roberto
Re: Unable to start VPS on Debian Etch [message #21823 is a reply to message #21822] Tue, 16 October 2007 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev
Messages: 1693
Registered: September 2005
Location: Moscow
Senior Member

From: openvz.org
Roberto Mello wrote:
> I am unable to start a VPS under a Debian Etch host. I can't find any
> useful message as to why it's failing to start the VPS on
> /var/log/vzctl.log.
> 
> The machine is a dual quad-core Xeon (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5345 @
> 2.33GHz). I used the debian-4.0-i386-minimal.tar.gz template from
> openvz.org to create the VE.
> 
> Here's what I get when I try to start the VE:
> 
> michael:/etc/vz# vzctl --verbose start 101
> Unable to open /usr/lib/vzctl/modules/: No such file or directory
> Starting VPS ...
> Mounting root: /srv/vz/root/101 /srv/vz/private/101
> VPS is mounted
> VPS start failed
> Running: /usr/sbin/vzquota stat 101 -f
> VPS is unmounted

Can you please check /var/log/messages as well? any messages there?
if not - need strace of this command like this:
# strace -fF -o out vzctl --verbose start 101

output will be collected in "out" file.

> Kernel:
> 
> Linux michael 2.6.18-openvz-13-39.1d1-amd64 #1 SMP Sat Sep 29 15:02:55
> MSD 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> 
> I grabbed the kernel from
> http://download.openvz.org/kernel/debian/etch/ and put it in place
> manually because the package wouldn't install because I am running a
> 32-bit userland, but wanted the 64 bit kernel. It did kernel panic for
> me yesterday when trying to do something on OpenVZ (I can't remember
> what it was unfortunately).
> 
> And here are the VZ modules I have loaded. /etc/init.d/vz has been
> started successfully:
> 
> michael:/etc/vz# lsmod | grep vz
> vznetdev 26752 1
> vzethdev 17040 0
> vzrst 129832 0
> ip_nat 24720 1 vzrst
> vzcpt 109368 0
> ip_conntrack 72596 3 vzrst,ip_nat,vzcpt
> vzdquota 47464 0 [permanent]
> vzmon 50448 4 vznetdev,vzethdev,vzrst,vzcpt
> vzdev 8456 4 vznetdev,vzethdev,vzdquota,vzmon
> ipv6 298208 29 vzrst,vzcpt,vzmon
> 
> I don't know what else to look for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

simfs module should be loaded as well.

Thanks,
Kirill
Re: Unable to start VPS on Debian Etch [message #21827 is a reply to message #21822] Tue, 16 October 2007 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev
Messages: 1693
Registered: September 2005
Location: Moscow
Senior Member

From: openvz.org
plz check that OVZ tools: vzctl and vzquota are 64 bit versions as well.
looks like they are 32bit. they have to be of the same arch as kernel.

Thanks,
Kirill


Roberto Mello wrote:
> On 10/16/07, Kirill Korotaev <dev@sw.ru> wrote:
> 
>>Can you please check /var/log/messages as well? any messages there?
> 
> 
> Nope.
> 
> 
>>if not - need strace of this command like this:
>># strace -fF -o out vzctl --verbose start 101
> 
> 
> I tried stracing, but nothing obvious jumped out at me. Maybe it will
> to someone else. After "VPS is mounted", I get:
> 
> 13095 read(9,  <unfinished ...>
> 13096 dup2(10, 0)                       = 0
> 13096 close(9)                          = 0
> 13096 close(10)                         = 0
> 13096 fcntl64(0, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)   = 0
> 13096 fcntl64(8, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)   = 0
> 13096 close(7)                          = 0
> 13096 fcntl64(5, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)   = 0
> 13096 close(6)                          = 0
> 13096 chdir("/srv/vz/root/101")         = 0
> 13096 chroot("/srv/vz/root/101")        = 0
> 13096 setsid()                          = 13096
> 13096 rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
> 13096 rt_sigaction(SIGHUP, {SIG_DFL}, NULL, 8) = 0
> 13096 rt_sigaction(SIGINT, {SIG_DFL}, NULL, 8) = 0
> 13096 rt_sigaction(SIGQUIT, {SIG_DFL}, NULL, 8) = 0
> 
> < a bunch more of these rt_sigaction >
> 
> 13096 rt_sigaction(65, {SIG_DFL}, NULL, 8) = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
> 13096 syscall_511(0x65, 0xbf9ec790, 0xbf9ec790, 0xbf9ebe88,
> 0xb7f76100, 0xbf9ebe48, 0xffffffda, 0x7b, 0x7b, 0, 0x33, 0x1ff,
> 0xb7f79792, 0x73, 0x246, 0xbf9ebe08, 0x7b, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
> 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0) = -1 (errno 38)
> 13096 write(0, "\22\0\0\0", 4 <unfinished ...>
> 13095 <... read resumed> "\22\0\0\0", 4) = 4
> 13096 <... write resumed> )             = 4
> 13095 close(10)                         = -1 EBADF (Bad file descriptor)
> 13095 close(9)                          = 0
> 13095 rt_sigaction(SIGCHLD, {SIG_DFL}, NULL, 8) = 0
> 13095 write(2, "VPS start failed", 16)  = 16
> 
> 
>>simfs module should be loaded as well.
> 
> 
> It is.
> 
> Thanks. Much appreciated.
> 
> -Roberto
>
Re: Unable to start VPS on Debian Etch [message #21896 is a reply to message #21827] Wed, 17 October 2007 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rmello is currently offline  rmello
Messages: 15
Registered: October 2007
Junior Member
From: openvz.org
On 10/16/07, Kirill Korotaev <dev@sw.ru> wrote:
> plz check that OVZ tools: vzctl and vzquota are 64 bit versions as well.
> looks like they are 32bit. they have to be of the same arch as kernel.

Well, darn it. I should have thought of that, but I didn't. That was
exactly the problem.

Problem solved. Thanks a lot Kirill!

-Roberto
Re: Unable to start VPS on Debian Etch [message #21955 is a reply to message #21896] Thu, 18 October 2007 08:14 Go to previous message
dev is currently offline  dev
Messages: 1693
Registered: September 2005
Location: Moscow
Senior Member

From: openvz.org
You are welcome!

Kirill

Roberto Mello wrote:
> On 10/16/07, Kirill Korotaev <dev@sw.ru> wrote:
> 
>>plz check that OVZ tools: vzctl and vzquota are 64 bit versions as well.
>>looks like they are 32bit. they have to be of the same arch as kernel.
> 
> 
> Well, darn it. I should have thought of that, but I didn't. That was
> exactly the problem.
> 
> Problem solved. Thanks a lot Kirill!
> 
> -Roberto
>
Previous Topic: OpenVz + DRBD
Next Topic: any openvz-on-xen users?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Dec 15 22:40:37 GMT 2018