OpenVZ Forum


Home » Mailing lists » Users » Exim 4 crashes kernel on Debian Etch 64bit
Exim 4 crashes kernel on Debian Etch 64bit [message #14513] Fri, 29 June 2007 22:31 Go to next message
jarcher is currently offline  jarcher
Messages: 91
Registered: August 2006
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island
Member
Hi All...

I'm running OpenVZ on a Debian Etch 64bit machine, with this prebuilt
kernel:

actual:~# uname -a
Linux actual.xxxxxxxx.com 2.6.18-openvz-12-1etch1-amd64 #1 SMP Fri May 4
23:37:24 MSD 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux


One of the VPSs is dedicated as a mail server, which is running Exim4,
Spamd, clamd, freshclam and sshd. Every few weeks, for no apparent reason,
the VPS exceeds its kmemsize and Exim will behave strangely. What's
disturbing, though, is that restarting the VPS does not solve the problem
and, in fact, often causes the entire machine to be unstable. The only way
out of this is a reboot.

I wish I had more information to offer, but I'm not sure what to look for.
Can anyone assist? I'm happy to run some tests if it will help.

Thanks very much.
Re: Exim 4 crashes kernel on Debian Etch 64bit [message #14562 is a reply to message #14513] Mon, 02 July 2007 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Messages: 1345
Registered: January 2006
Senior Member
This is a known issue and it is fixed already in fresh kernels. However
there are no fresh OpenVZ prebuild kernels in Debian archive at the
moment (Thorsten and Ola are working on it now), but you can use the
package from debian.systs.org.

HTH,
Vasily.

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 18:31 -0400, Jim Archer wrote:
> Hi All...
>
> I'm running OpenVZ on a Debian Etch 64bit machine, with this prebuilt
> kernel:
>
> actual:~# uname -a
> Linux actual.xxxxxxxx.com 2.6.18-openvz-12-1etch1-amd64 #1 SMP Fri May 4
> 23:37:24 MSD 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
>
> One of the VPSs is dedicated as a mail server, which is running Exim4,
> Spamd, clamd, freshclam and sshd. Every few weeks, for no apparent reason,
> the VPS exceeds its kmemsize and Exim will behave strangely. What's
> disturbing, though, is that restarting the VPS does not solve the problem
> and, in fact, often causes the entire machine to be unstable. The only way
> out of this is a reboot.
>
> I wish I had more information to offer, but I'm not sure what to look for.
> Can anyone assist? I'm happy to run some tests if it will help.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
>
Re: Exim 4 crashes kernel on Debian Etch 64bit [message #14565 is a reply to message #14562] Mon, 02 July 2007 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jarcher is currently offline  jarcher
Messages: 91
Registered: August 2006
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island
Member
Hi Vasily and thanks very much.

I didn't realize there was a kernel package on systs.org, I have been
manually downloading the packages and installing them with dpkg. Which
package do I want? I see on your site that there is a note dated June 18th
announcing an update of 028stab035, which is 2.6.18. Is that it?


--On Monday, July 02, 2007 5:46 PM +0400 Vasily Tarasov <vtaras@openvz.org>
wrote:

> This is a known issue and it is fixed already in fresh kernels. However
> there are no fresh OpenVZ prebuild kernels in Debian archive at the
> moment (Thorsten and Ola are working on it now), but you can use the
> package from debian.systs.org.
>
> HTH,
> Vasily.
>
> On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 18:31 -0400, Jim Archer wrote:
>> Hi All...
>>
>> I'm running OpenVZ on a Debian Etch 64bit machine, with this prebuilt
>> kernel:
>>
>> actual:~# uname -a
>> Linux actual.xxxxxxxx.com 2.6.18-openvz-12-1etch1-amd64 #1 SMP Fri May 4
>> 23:37:24 MSD 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>>
>> One of the VPSs is dedicated as a mail server, which is running Exim4,
>> Spamd, clamd, freshclam and sshd. Every few weeks, for no apparent
>> reason, the VPS exceeds its kmemsize and Exim will behave strangely.
>> What's disturbing, though, is that restarting the VPS does not solve
>> the problem and, in fact, often causes the entire machine to be
>> unstable. The only way out of this is a reboot.
>>
>> I wish I had more information to offer, but I'm not sure what to look
>> for. Can anyone assist? I'm happy to run some tests if it will help.
>>
>> Thanks very much.
>>
>>
Re: Exim 4 crashes kernel on Debian Etch 64bit [message #14566 is a reply to message #14565] Mon, 02 July 2007 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Messages: 1345
Registered: January 2006
Senior Member
Yes, Jim, 028stab035 kernel is the most recent available (prebuild)
OpenVZ kernel.

Vasily

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 10:19 -0400, Jim Archer wrote:
> Hi Vasily and thanks very much.
>
> I didn't realize there was a kernel package on systs.org, I have been
> manually downloading the packages and installing them with dpkg. Which
> package do I want? I see on your site that there is a note dated June 18th
> announcing an update of 028stab035, which is 2.6.18. Is that it?
>
>
> --On Monday, July 02, 2007 5:46 PM +0400 Vasily Tarasov <vtaras@openvz.org>
> wrote:
>
> > This is a known issue and it is fixed already in fresh kernels. However
> > there are no fresh OpenVZ prebuild kernels in Debian archive at the
> > moment (Thorsten and Ola are working on it now), but you can use the
> > package from debian.systs.org.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Vasily.
> >
> > On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 18:31 -0400, Jim Archer wrote:
> >> Hi All...
> >>
> >> I'm running OpenVZ on a Debian Etch 64bit machine, with this prebuilt
> >> kernel:
> >>
> >> actual:~# uname -a
> >> Linux actual.xxxxxxxx.com 2.6.18-openvz-12-1etch1-amd64 #1 SMP Fri May 4
> >> 23:37:24 MSD 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >>
> >>
> >> One of the VPSs is dedicated as a mail server, which is running Exim4,
> >> Spamd, clamd, freshclam and sshd. Every few weeks, for no apparent
> >> reason, the VPS exceeds its kmemsize and Exim will behave strangely.
> >> What's disturbing, though, is that restarting the VPS does not solve
> >> the problem and, in fact, often causes the entire machine to be
> >> unstable. The only way out of this is a reboot.
> >>
> >> I wish I had more information to offer, but I'm not sure what to look
> >> for. Can anyone assist? I'm happy to run some tests if it will help.
> >>
> >> Thanks very much.
> >>
> >>
Re: Exim 4 crashes kernel on Debian Etch 64bit [message #14574 is a reply to message #14566] Mon, 02 July 2007 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jarcher is currently offline  jarcher
Messages: 91
Registered: August 2006
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island
Member
--On Monday, July 02, 2007 6:23 PM +0400 Vasily Tarasov <vtaras@openvz.org>
wrote:

> Yes, Jim, 028stab035 kernel is the most recent available (prebuild)
> OpenVZ kernel.

Thanks Vasily...

I installed this from systs.org, but it seems that when I boot it my iSCSI
daemon no longer works. I was wondering, do you know if iSCSI was included
in this kernel build? It works fine in the prior kernel I was using.

Thanks,

Jim
iSCSI kernel mod in precombiled kernel images (was: Re: Exim 4 crashes kernel on Debian Etch 64bit) [message #14616 is a reply to message #14574] Tue, 03 July 2007 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thorsten Schifferdeck is currently offline  Thorsten Schifferdeck
Messages: 38
Registered: February 2006
Member
Hi Jim,

Jim Archer schrieb:
> [...]
> I installed this from systs.org, but it seems that when I boot it my
> iSCSI daemon no longer works. I was wondering, do you know if iSCSI was
> included in this kernel build? It works fine in the prior kernel I was
> using.
> [...]

Can you please post with kernel modules are needed for your iSCSI
(deamon) ?

Regards,
Thorsten Schifferdecker
Re: iSCSI kernel mod in precombiled kernel images (was: Re: Exim 4 crashes kernel on Debian Etch 64 [message #14719 is a reply to message #14616] Sun, 08 July 2007 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jarcher is currently offline  jarcher
Messages: 91
Registered: August 2006
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island
Member
--On Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:08 PM +0200 Thorsten Schifferdecker
<tsd@debian.systs.org> wrote:

> Can you please post with kernel modules are needed for your iSCSI
> (deamon) ?

Sorry for the delay, I just saw this now. I'll find that information out
and post it, thank you!
Re: iSCSI kernel mod in precombiled kernel images (was: Re: Exim 4 crashes kernel on Debian Etch 64 [message #14720 is a reply to message #14616] Sun, 08 July 2007 05:53 Go to previous message
jarcher is currently offline  jarcher
Messages: 91
Registered: August 2006
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island
Member
--On Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:08 PM +0200 Thorsten Schifferdecker
<tsd@debian.systs.org> wrote:

> Can you please post with kernel modules are needed for your iSCSI
> (deamon) ?

Hello Thorsten

I think the information you need is here:

<http://www.open-iscsi.org/docs/README>

In a nutshell:

The kernel portion of Open-iSCSI is a from-scratch code
licensed under GPL. The kernel part implements iSCSI data path
(that is, iSCSI Read and iSCSI Write), and consists of three
loadable modules: scsi_transport_iscsi.ko, libiscsi.ko and iscsi_tcp.ko.


Also:

As of today, the Open-iSCSI Initiator requires a host running the
Linux operating system with kernel version 2.6.16, or later. See
http://www.open-iscsi.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Supported_Kernels
for a more information about which kernels Open-iSCSI supports.
You need to enable "Cryptographic API" under "Cryptographic options" in the
kernel config. And you must enable "CRC32c CRC algorithm" even if
you do not use header or data digests. They are the kernel options,
CONFIG_CRYPTO and CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRC32C, respectively.


Does this help? tsd@debian.systs.org
Previous Topic: kernel errors in syslog
Next Topic: Failed to compile with enabled Checkpointing & restoring Virtual Environments
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Nov 29 14:27:36 GMT 2022

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01153 seconds