OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Ploop Incremental backups strategy
Ploop Incremental backups strategy [message #53693] Tue, 08 September 2020 14:09 Go to next message
Steffan_N is currently offline  Steffan_N
Hello,

Using openvz7
Im looking ad my backup strategy
I allways used rsync on openvz6
And looks like on openvz7 this can also be done on /vz/root/VEID But i dont know if i can do a full restore from that...

Now im looking at snapshots
https://github.com/TamCore/vzpbackup
it can make full backups and incremental backups

Is someone using this script?
i have some question hope someone can help

the incremental backups are nice to save space and time on a remote backupserver But how does a restore works.
For what i know you can only restore a full snapshot, the incremental backups have only the changed files

Question 2.
Is it possible to extract a file from the backup for a single file restore?
And if so can someone tell me how?

Thanxs
Steffan
Re: Ploop Incremental backups strategy [message #53697 is a reply to message #53693] Mon, 21 September 2020 19:29 Go to previous message
wsap is currently offline  wsap
Hey Seffan,

I can't answer your questions about vzpbackup, however I can say that using rsync (or borgbackup) with /vz/root/VEID mounts does work. Restoring is a matter of:

1. Creating a new container OR using the saved container conf file to re-create the same container
2. Mount the ploop disk
3. Completing a full restore (ensure to use rsync's numeric IDs parameter and save all perms, OR use borgbackup as it will do all this for you) to the mount point
4. Unmount
5. Start container

Borgbackup is pretty handy as it handles your rsyncing, deduping, encryption, and compression for you.
Previous Topic: ploop backup failing suddenly
Next Topic: prlctl snapshot
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:31:59 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02478 seconds