OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Looking to move from VMWare  () 1 Vote
Looking to move from VMWare [message #53251] Sun, 29 July 2018 10:13 Go to next message
Aidy is currently offline  Aidy
I'm Looking to move from VMWare as im currently using a VPS and will be moving to a dedicated server, my question is do dedicated servers still need to use the likes of OpenVZ or would this only be used if I wanted to create VPS instances from it?

Also whaat software would I need to deploy VPS instances as i've only briefly used SolusVM.

I know it may sound a bit thick but i've mainly been using Reseller/Shared Hosting.

Re: Looking to move from VMWare [message #53252 is a reply to message #53251] Mon, 30 July 2018 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulocoghi is currently offline  paulocoghi
First, welcome to OpenVZ community!

It is interesting to use OpenVZ on both cases: (1) when you will provide VPS's for your customers or (2) when you will use the dedicated server only for you. Even in the second case, you can organize multiple servers and test new possibilities without messing up with the main server.

About software recommendations, it depends but here is my opinion:

- Use Virtuozzo: if you will provide VPS's (in the OpenVZ case, systems containers) to your customers as a commercial product, I really recommend to use Virtuozzo (the paid version of OpenVZ). With it you can deploy a more resilient cluster using distributed storage, even if you plan to start with just one server.

- Use OpenVZ Web Panel: if you will not provide commercial VPS's or can't afford to subscribe to Virtuozzo licenses right now, in my humble opinion the best OpenVZ management software is OpenVZ Web Panel. Today it is better than Proxmox since the latter dropped support for OpenVZ on its more recent versions. The Proxmox version 3 that supports OpenVZ is a lot similar with OpenVZ Web Panel but has an old kernel version. But with OpenVZ Web Panel, you can put it on a dedicated server installed with OpenVZ 7 version, that is much more recent.

Feel free to ask other questions!
Re: Looking to move from VMWare [message #53254 is a reply to message #53252] Mon, 30 July 2018 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aidy is currently offline  Aidy
Thanks for the reply, i've got a lot of accounts that are currently using cPanel so changing to OpenVZ Web Panel im guessing would be difficult!?

Re: Looking to move from VMWare [message #53255 is a reply to message #53254] Mon, 30 July 2018 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The OpenVZ Web Panel isn't a replacement for cPanel. It is a web GUI used only by the administrator of dedicated server, to create and manage the VPS's, their IP's and hardware resources allocated to them.

Specifically about cPanel, there are open source alternatives and, in my opinion, Virtualmin is by far the best one. I suggest you to install Virtualmin in each customer's VPS, so that each one can manage their own server without messing with other customers configurations. They are completely isolated this way.

Finally, changing from cPanel to Virtualmin is a decision that you have to made according to your customer base and what they are familiar with. If they don't like Virtualmin, it may be better to subscribe to cPanel licenses instead to change to Virtualmin and lose customers.

Re: Looking to move from VMWare [message #53256 is a reply to message #53254] Mon, 30 July 2018 15:16 Go to previous message
As you mentioned that you have mainly being using Reseller/Shared Hosting, it seems to me that this is your first move to a dedicated server and you may not know everything you need, and also may not know how to manage a dedicated server designated to host multiple "shared hosting / cPanel" customers. There are many many ways you can solve this problem, and buying an already configured dedicated server from a provider seems to be a wise choice for you.

But, if you really want to take the advanced path (that may be a good experience to try and learn), here is my personal advise:

It's really interesting to go with OpenVZ 7. And if you can afford it, it's even better to already start with the paid version, Virtuozzo.

If you choose the open source version, ask to your dedicated server provider to install the OpenVZ 7 distribution ISO into your dedicated, or install it by yourself. After it, access your dedicated server through SSH and install OpenVZ Web Panel using the automated install script with the command:

wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sibprogrammer/owp/master/installer/ai.sh | sh

Otherwise, if you choose Virtuozzo, ask for the trial version on the official website and use the ISO they will provide to you.With the paid version it will not be necessary to install OpenVZ Web Panel, because it already comes with a better one.

After solving this part, you can follow two possible strategies regarding the hosting management, no matter if you choose cPanel (paid) or Virtualmin (open source with optional support subscription):

1: Create a big VPS inside OpenVZ Web Panel, that will accommodate all your customers
In this VPS, install the chosen software (cPanel or Virtualmin), and migrate all your customers. Virtualmin is capable to receive and migrate automatically backups generated on cPanel, both "single account" backups and multiple accounts ones.

The pro point of this strategy is that you reuse the same softwares to all your customers (web server, database server, php, mail server, etc), reducing the total hardware resources consumed, allowing you to host more customers on the same dedicated. But there is a big con point: the bad neighborhood. If a specific customer exceed its resource consumption or becomes compromised, it will impact all the other customers.

For this reason, the second option is:

2: Create a single VPS to each customer
In this strategy, you create a new VPS to each customer and install cPanel or Virtualmin on each one. You will not suffer from the the bad neighborhood issue, but the hardware usage of all customers combined will certainly be higher compared to the first strategy. But OpenVZ plays another important role here: the deduplication technology. Although this model will consume more resources, OpenVZ identifies identical softwares mapped on RAM from each customer and deduplicates it, reducing the overall hardware usage.

This strategy is interesting because you can charge each customer according to its usage, it is a lot more secure and allows you to evaluate individual customer consumption much faster.

---

If you follow this more advanced path, as the administrator of the dedicated server, you will have to solve alone all the issues related to the hosting part, and they will certainly occur from time to time. Spam issues, compromised account because of poor passwords, compromised wordpress installations, etc.

I hope I have helped you better clarify the things you need to know, to make a good decision according to your scenario and your needs.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 July 2018 15:24]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: emergecy issue " IP lost "
Next Topic: OpenVZ7: restart vz service does not auto-start CTs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 16 14:33:59 GMT 2018