OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » How can I stop both vz/private and vz/root from both taking space? (I have a space issue and need to make room)
How can I stop both vz/private and vz/root from both taking space? [message #52667] Tue, 29 November 2016 04:21 Go to next message
dwhs is currently offline  dwhs

My openVZ server has run out of space.

It looks to be that vz/private is taking 4tb and vz/root is only around 2tb. vz/private is more than doubling the space for each VPS.

I read on here that it doesn't need to double or use more than your VPS space. Am I missing an option to have the space freed in the vz/private directories?

Thanks

Re: How can I stop both vz/private and vz/root from both taking space? [message #52672 is a reply to message #52667] Fri, 02 December 2016 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

All rightie than Laughing
Re: How can I stop both vz/private and vz/root from both taking space? [message #52690 is a reply to message #52667] Fri, 09 December 2016 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
It's hard to answer questions with so little information to work with. There is a reason that this is posted in RED on the first page of the forum: "Please always report your kernel and tools version."

Of course, any other information that might be helpful won't hurt either. A simple OVZ version would be a good start, is it OpenVZ 6 or 7? Which kind of FS are you using for your VMs, simfs or ploop?

What did you do to troubleshoot in these weeks since your original post?
Re: How can I stop both vz/private and vz/root from both taking space? [message #52691 is a reply to message #52690] Fri, 09 December 2016 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hello,

Kernel version: 2.6.32-042stab116.1
I did a search for find openvz tools version and nothing was in Google or here. I've never heard the term tools other than putty or notepad. can you elaborate.

I use SolusVM if that helps.

Thanks, I didn't know this was so vital here.

It uses Ploop but the issue happens with simfs. I switched to ploop ot see if it would help and just left it event though it didn't.

What did you do to troubleshoot in these weeks since your original post?

I rebooted the container and the whole server. I have now removed over a TB of space and the files still use several terabytes over what is on the serer.

I just don't know how to make OpenVZ remove files from vz/private and vz/root after the files are removed from the container.

Not sure what else to do, I would think as I remove files OPENVZ would use less space on the server, that's not correct?
Re: How can I stop both vz/private and vz/root from both taking space? [message #52692 is a reply to message #52667] Sat, 10 December 2016 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paparaciz
https://wiki.openvz.org/User_Guide/Operations_on_Virtual_Pri vate_Servers#Creating_Container

After the CT ID and the installed OS template have been chosen, you can create the CT private area with the vzctl create command. The private area is the directory containing the private files of the given CT. The private area is mounted to the /vz/root/vpsid/ directory on the Hardware Node and provides CT users with a complete Linux file system tree.
Re: How can I stop both vz/private and vz/root from both taking space? [message #52693 is a reply to message #52691] Mon, 12 December 2016 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
dwhs wrote on Fri, 09 December 2016 20:26
... I would think as I remove files OPENVZ would use less space on the server, that's not correct?

You can find out which version of OpenVZ tools you're using by looking at the vzctl package version. But it doesn't really matter in this case. And BTW, you're using OpenVZ 6.

Anyway, to answer your question, your assumption would be correct for VMs using simfs. For those using ploop, not necessarily. Research about compacting ploop images and go from there.

Paparaciz also gave you a good nudge that will help you understand the relation between /vz/private/<VMID> and /vz/root/<VMID>. You can see that in practice by comparing those two when your VM is running and when it's not.
Re: How can I stop both vz/private and vz/root from both taking space? [message #52695 is a reply to message #52667] Wed, 21 December 2016 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

So it sounds like there is no way to stop a container from using double the space after it's been created.

That sucks.
Re: How can I stop both vz/private and vz/root from both taking space? [message #52696 is a reply to message #52667] Wed, 21 December 2016 18:46 Go to previous message
Paparaciz
or just understanding that /vz/root/vpsid does not use extra space at all
Previous Topic: VZ7 Win 2008 , 2012 VM paused
Next Topic: CentOS 7.x and OpenVZ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:49:05 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02329 seconds