OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Convert openvz to VMware (Convert from openvz to VMware)
Convert openvz to VMware [message #52576] Fri, 30 September 2016 19:46 Go to next message
ccawley
There has to be an easy/scripted way to do this ?
Re: Convert openvz to VMware [message #52588 is a reply to message #52576] Wed, 12 October 2016 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arne is currently offline  arne
Im quite new to OpenVZ myself, but I have tried to read the documentation, and I think I can say: No it is not possible to make an "easy scrip" that can convert a OpenVZ container to be a VmWare hardware image. It is to copletely different technologies, OpenVZ with "contaniners" and a chared common Linux kernel and VmWare with complete virtualization images and separate kernels for each operating system.

By the way I do not understand at the moment how the consept of a "shared common kernel under OpenVZ" works, if its really the question of one physical and logical kernel that in some way can prosess a number of "process containers" or if it a question of making "multiple instances" or copyining the "host kernel".

I would be nice if some of those more experienced users of OpenVZ could correct me or supply with some more information.
Re: Convert openvz to VMware [message #52589 is a reply to message #52576] Sat, 15 October 2016 06:28 Go to previous message
tacioandrade is currently offline  tacioandrade
Can not directly, what you can do is install the server on the same version of preference and install all packages in the same versions of the container after it overwrite the configuration files, logs, etc., thus able to migrate at least was what I had to do when I migrated an Ubuntu 12.04 to KVM a few months later.
Previous Topic: Sync files between Containers
Next Topic: Dirty COW
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:59:21 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02464 seconds