OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » CentOS 7.x and OpenVZ (Does it work correctly?)
CentOS 7.x and OpenVZ [message #52486] Mon, 01 August 2016 07:01 Go to next message
krazybob is currently offline  krazybob
My dedicated server company took 2 weeks to get OpenVZ installed. But thereafter using the 64-bit of everything the server would fail. The indication was the virtual servers (containers) would become inaccessible. Only a hard reboot of the server would restore functionality.

Was this an issue with EXT4 or other issues? I have left Atjeu/Deer Valley Data after the new company took over and made matters worse. I need to know how to tell my new server company to install CentOS 7.x with OpenVZ on top of it. Is there a WiKi page on this specific issue or something helpful?

This is what I have:

This is a short guide to get OpenVZ configured on CentOS 7.

During the install of CentOS 7, be sure to make all file systems apart from swap ext4. OpenVZ is not compatible with the xfs file system. Once you've installed CentOS 7 do not update or do anything except immediately install these packages:

yum localinstall http://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/releases/7.0/x86_64/os/ Packages/v/virtuozzo-release-7.0.0-10.vz7.x86_64.rpm

then install:

yum install -y prlctl prl-disp-service vzkernel

Now reboot and afterwards run uname -r to make sure you're booted to the vz kernel.

Run:
systemctl status vz // to make sure the vz service is running.

You must download templates via yum in order to make containers. To see what templates you already have run
rpm -qa | grep '-ez' // you need to reinstall any that are already there with yum reinstall, otherwise they may not work.

To see which ones you can download run
yum search centos // and look for anything with "ez" on the end.

The last thing before you make a container is making the cache with whatever templates you have. Simply run:
vzpkg create cache centos-7-x86_64

Now you can create a container with that template cache. When you try to create a container leave out everything after the 64, so:

vzctl create 101 --ostemplate centos-7-x86_64

Have I missed anything????
Re: CentOS 7.x and OpenVZ [message #52488 is a reply to message #52486] Tue, 02 August 2016 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sergeyb is currently offline  sergeyb

> Have I missed anything????

Yes. Configuration when OpenVZ components installed on CentOS is unsupported.
But we have unofficial script to upgrade CentOS to OpenVZ/Virtuozzo 7. See thread in users@ maillist - https://lists.openvz.org/pipermail/users/2016-June/006963.ht ml
Re: CentOS 7.x and OpenVZ [message #52489 is a reply to message #52488] Tue, 02 August 2016 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Am I better off using CentOS 6.7 for stability?
Re: CentOS 7.x and OpenVZ [message #52490 is a reply to message #52489] Tue, 02 August 2016 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Could you explain what do you want to do at all?

OpenVZ 7 is not the same as OpenVZ based on 2.6.18/2.6.32 kernels.
OpenVZ 7 is a Linux distributive based on VzLinux. Yes, VzLinux based on RHEL/CentOS packages but it is definitely not the same. Some RPM packages were changed.
It is highly recommended to install OpenVZ from ISO image.
Re: CentOS 7.x and OpenVZ [message #52491 is a reply to message #52490] Tue, 02 August 2016 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We want to run OpenVZ on top of CentOS 7. Are you saying that CentOS 7 is no longer needed?

Thank you for your help. We had read that we just needed ext4 on the file system but the server would not stay online.

As I recall if we burn the ISO to a DVD we mount the DVD and install directly from there? I've never done that but I can look up the mounting instructions.
Re: CentOS 7.x and OpenVZ [message #52492 is a reply to message #52491] Wed, 03 August 2016 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

krazybob wrote on Tue, 02 August 2016 23:14
Are you saying that CentOS 7 is no longer needed?

Exactly!
Please follow documentation guides: Installation guide and Installation via PXE
to get more info.
Re: CentOS 7.x and OpenVZ [message #52493 is a reply to message #52492] Wed, 03 August 2016 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think this is great news. But my vendor may not be willing to do this. I have KVM over IP -- can a base install of CentOS be loaded to make the machine bootable and then OpenVZ installed and rebooted? Or does one need actual console to do this? I don't see this discussed in the tutorial - which is great by the way!
Re: CentOS 7.x and OpenVZ [message #52512 is a reply to message #52493] Sat, 13 August 2016 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sorry to see no reply to this in nearly two weeks. I'd like to continue using OV but would appreciate some clarity. Is there a Wiki page that discussed this? I can't find one.
Re: CentOS 7.x and OpenVZ [message #52514 is a reply to message #52489] Sat, 13 August 2016 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is what my dedicated host provider recommended. But I love OpenVZ and Virtuozzo. When one does web hosting one cannot just change the OS willy-nilly. It is a very detailed process. Why install a version that is closer to EOL than not?
Re: CentOS 7.x and OpenVZ [message #52523 is a reply to message #52486] Tue, 16 August 2016 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lucky SB is currently offline  Lucky SB
i try on centos7
        yum install -y vzkernel prlctl prl-disp-service libprlsdk-python vzstat
        systemctl enable prl-disp
        systemctl restart prl-disp
        systemctl enable vz
        systemctl restart vz
        systemctl enable ksm
        systemctl enable ksmtuned
        systemctl enable libvirtd
        systemctl restart ksm
        systemctl restart ksmtuned
        systemctl restart libvirtd
reboot

add VEFSTYPE="simfs" to /etc/vz/vz.conf

vzctl create 106 --ostemplate=centos-6
vzctl create 107 --ostemplate=centos-7

vzctl start 106
vzctl start 107

all fine

to restart container on reboot host-machine need packet libprlsdk-python
this install python sdk lib fot /etc/vcmmd.d/vz python-script
Re: CentOS 7.x and OpenVZ [message #52534 is a reply to message #52523] Fri, 19 August 2016 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you have to install the server as EXT4 file system? As I recall that was a major issue. Doing it this way goes against the staff of OpenVZ that want it installed from their ISO. Are you missing any features? vzbackup?

Lucky SB wrote on Tue, 16 August 2016 06:04
i try on centos7
        yum install -y vzkernel prlctl prl-disp-service libprlsdk-python vzstat
        systemctl enable prl-disp
        systemctl restart prl-disp
        systemctl enable vz
        systemctl restart vz
        systemctl enable ksm
        systemctl enable ksmtuned
        systemctl enable libvirtd
        systemctl restart ksm
        systemctl restart ksmtuned
        systemctl restart libvirtd
reboot

add VEFSTYPE="simfs" to /etc/vz/vz.conf

vzctl create 106 --ostemplate=centos-6
vzctl create 107 --ostemplate=centos-7

vzctl start 106
vzctl start 107

all fine

to restart container on reboot host-machine need packet libprlsdk-python
this install python sdk lib fot /etc/vcmmd.d/vz python-script

Re: CentOS 7.x and OpenVZ [message #52535 is a reply to message #52534] Fri, 19 August 2016 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lucky SB is currently offline  Lucky SB
[quote title=krazybob wrote on Fri, 19 August 2016 14:32]Did you have to install the server as EXT4 file system? As I recall that was a major issue. Doing it this way goes against the staff of OpenVZ that want it installed from their ISO. Are you missing any features? vzbackup?

I install server on ext4fs, no lvm

i use simfs, no ploop image, so i missing live migration, snapshot backup etc....
Re: CentOS 7.x and OpenVZ [message #52699 is a reply to message #52488] Fri, 23 December 2016 15:59 Go to previous message
I now know that OpenVZ is bare bones installed. Where do I find the netinstall URL? I have servers that are still quite powerful but have CDROM and not DVD. I have read that public URL's are discouraged so that means I need to ask. I see no mention in the documentation or otherwise.

Thank you.
Previous Topic: How can I stop both vz/private and vz/root from both taking space?
Next Topic: issues with ulogd2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 09:53:53 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02592 seconds