OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » OpenVZ hosting advice (OpenVZ newbie needs advice on best setup for hosting)
OpenVZ hosting advice [message #51795] Mon, 15 December 2014 00:37
Bedlore is currently offline  Bedlore
Hi all, sorry this is a little long but I'm seeking good quality advice on OpenVZ, where better to ask than here.

I'm a small Australian web developer who also provides full managed hosting for a CMS called eZ Publish. To date we've been using LXC containers for simple grouping of web hosting clients with similar requirements with no panel or client separation.

We now have commissioned a new dedicated server, the provider recommended and installed vmware which was fine for initial testing but now that I'm ready to start migrating clients I think OpenVZ is the better solution, I considered staying with LXC but I see OpenVZ has wider application choices for web management tools and client resource controls, possible client panel offerings etc.

While I'm a Debian user the server provider is more familiar with CentOS and will be proving primary support. While I'm reasonably comfortable in shell I would prefer a web based management tool for day to day control and monitoring. I would like to limit or at least easily monitor disk and bandwidth usage, and system resource load history of each client container.

Q1. What distro should I use?
Should I go with CentOS so my provider is more comfortable, Debian for myself, or proxmox for a more packaged solution? I don't want to set everything up only to realise in 3 months its sub-optimal or locked in to something not ideal. Obviously bonus points for each of maintenance, good community / support and security.

Q2. What web management tool is best for me?
What is a good stable, hosting orrientaed web interface for creating, monitoring and managing containers? If it extends further to setting up SSH access, mail control and the usual hosting needs that too would be a bonus although not a requirement.

Q3. What client panel management tool might work for me?
If possible I'd like to provide at least a simple web interface to clients so they can control some basics like email, ssh access and disk/bandwidth usage monitoring perhaps. I should add that earlier I tested cPanel for the first time and found it horrible. Far too resource hungry, far too locked down, making it near impossible to run an apache-less nginx set-up (I will be running nginx/php-fpm for each client). I much prefer fast and simple.

Many thanks to anyone who read this far and is able to offer advice.
Previous Topic: Openvz+DRBD+corosync
Next Topic: vzdump / openvz snapshot -- ram
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:52:02 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02502 seconds