OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Lame question on fresh install of openvz
Lame question on fresh install of openvz [message #51717] Tue, 21 October 2014 07:21 Go to next message
samoilov is currently offline  samoilov
Hi everyone, i am having a quick question, please direct me. I just installed Debian 7 + XFCE and it has network-daemon that i set up with no problems with my wifi settings and vpn. After following directions in "debian installation guide" i booted into new kernel (after having set up everything said in the guide) and XFCE booted all fine but i couldnt help but notice that network manager didnt start. I am running eeepc 1001 that has funky wifi card and otheras something ethernet card so my best guess is that 2.6 kernell has no support for them and network-manager didnt find any network interface and failed silently. How do i go on solving this issue? Do i need to compile drivers? Do i need to compile openvz kernel? Can you direct me with a line or two of explanation and maybe a link to howto? Forumn search and quick googling didnt help. Thanks in advance.
Re: Lame question on fresh install of openvz [message #51718 is a reply to message #51717] Wed, 22 October 2014 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I inspected the problem deeper and found out that the device drivers are there and interfaces are set up and the problem is in NetworkManager daemon. In its log file it first complains ("[warn]" message tag)that it can not connect to netlink (netlink -communication between kernel and user space) saying "data out of range" and then NetworkManager daemon recieves signal 11 (segmentation fault). Can somebody elaborate on this one? It would solve problems for future users of openvz who set it up on new debian 7.6.0. As far as i can tell it has to do with netlink interface differences in kernel 2.6 and new kernels and thats is why NetworkManager tries to access something out of range and recieves segmentation fault.
Re: Lame question on fresh install of openvz [message #51719 is a reply to message #51718] Wed, 22 October 2014 07:08 Go to previous message
>Debian Bug report logs - #745019
>problems with 2.6.32 kernel
>Package: libnl3
>Version: 3.2.7

>The library does not work when running newer versions of the 2.6.32 kernel:

># nl-qdisc-list
>Error: Unable to allocate link cache: Input data out of range

>(same bug with 3.2.24-1)

>This is already fixed upstream:

>Would be great to have a fix for wheezy.

> As I was doing an upload for another problem anyway, I backported the fix from
> the upstream git into our 3.2.24.
>
> 2.6.32 was the kernel from squeeze, while wheezy uses mainly 3.2, so I'm not
> sure if this fix is critical enough to warrant a stable update.
>
> I've therefore added debian-release to get an answer to this question Smile .

Thanks. I just want to mention that this affects all OpenVZ users, because OpenVZ
is still using a 2.6.32 kernel.

=================================

I guess its still not fixed.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 October 2014 07:15]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: NFS-write blocks all processes
Next Topic: large ploop files (worried about corruption)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:02:07 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02451 seconds