OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » vzctl console how to? (Can't do anything with it.)
vzctl console how to? [message #46672] Sun, 03 June 2012 19:09 Go to next message
mustardman is currently offline  mustardman
Can anyone explain how to use the new vzctl console feature. There doesn't seem to be any documentation on it. The only posts from developers say that the command is vzctl attach CTID but that does not work. So through trial and error I seem to have figured out they changed it to vzctl console but not a single mention of it anywhere as far as I can tell.

Once I run it I can't get out with ESC like the vzctl attach posts say. So I really don't know what it's supposed to do and how to use it.
Re: vzctl console how to? [message #46692 is a reply to message #46672] Mon, 04 June 2012 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
Well, vzctl's man page has this:

console CTID [ttynum]

Attach to a container console. Optional ttynum argument is tty number (such as 4 for tty4), default is 1 which is used for container's /dev/console.

Note the consoles are persistent, meaning that:
- it can be attached to even if the container is not running;
- there is no automatic detachment upon the container stop;
- detaching from the console leaves anything running in this console as is.

The following escape sequences are recognized by vzctl console. Note that these sequences are only recognized after Enter.

- Esc then . to detach from the console.
- Esc then ! to kill anything running on the console (SAK). This is helpful when one expects a login prompt but there isn't one.
Re: vzctl console how to? [message #46735 is a reply to message #46692] Wed, 06 June 2012 19:03 Go to previous message
mustardman is currently offline  mustardman
So what happened to vzctl attach?

I tried running those commands above but nothing happens. I just get a blank screen. I can see udev run when I reboot. I can detach with the Esc . but it's not clear to me exactly what I would use this for.

I thought it would be the same as if in console mode on a normal Linux server where I could issue commands and watch things start up when it reboots. That doesn't seem to be the case so what would I used this for?

[Updated on: Wed, 06 June 2012 19:06]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: I had build a template about centos+vnc for openvz
Next Topic: Looking for support provider (sys admin)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:05:52 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02445 seconds