OpenVZ Forum


Home » Mailing lists » Users » adventures with layout=ploop
adventures with layout=ploop [message #45615] Thu, 22 March 2012 17:42 Go to next message
jjs - mainphrame is currently offline  jjs - mainphrame
Messages: 33
Registered: January 2012
Member
From: 69.25.174*
My test platform is centos-6.2 32 bit. I had successfully created
ploop-based containers when testing the ploop and vzctl from git last week.
Today I installed the released ploop and vzctl rpms to test further.

When I issue a command to create a ploop-based container, vzctl is unable
to complete the operation, exiting with errors:

[root@mrmber ~]# vzctl create 777 --layout=ploop --config=vswap-256m
--ostemplate=debian-5.0-x86
Unable to get full ostemplate name for debian-5.0-x86
Creating image: /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd size=2306867K
Creating delta /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd bs=2048 size=4613734
sectors
Storing /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/DiskDescriptor.xml
Adding delta dev=/dev/ploop0 img=/vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd (rw)
PLOOP_IOC_ADD_DELTA /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd: Invalid argument
Failed to create image: PLOOP_IOC_ADD_DELTA
/vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd: Invalid argument [3]
Creation of container private area failed
[root@mrmber ~]#


When I issue a command to create a container with the same parameters
except using layout=simfs instead of ploop, vzctl succeeds:

[root@mrmber ~]# vzctl create 777 --layout=simfs --config=vswap-256m
--ostemplate=debian-5.0-x86
Unable to get full ostemplate name for debian-5.0-x86
Creating container private area (debian-5.0-x86)
Performing postcreate actions
CT configuration saved to /etc/vz/conf/777.conf
Container private area was created
[root@mrmber ~]#

Where should I be looking to solve this mystery?

Regards,

Joe
Re: adventures with layout=ploop [message #45619 is a reply to message #45615] Thu, 22 March 2012 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir
Messages: 1645
Registered: August 2005
Location: Moscow, Russia
Senior Member

From: *parallels.com
On 03/22/2012 09:42 PM, jjs - mainphrame wrote:
> My test platform is centos-6.2 32 bit. I had successfully created
> ploop-based containers when testing the ploop and vzctl from git last
> week. Today I installed the released ploop and vzctl rpms to test further.

Which kernel it is?

Anything in dmesg output?

>
> When I issue a command to create a ploop-based container, vzctl is
> unable to complete the operation, exiting with errors:
>
> [root@mrmber ~]# vzctl create 777 --layout=ploop --config=vswap-256m
> --ostemplate=debian-5.0-x86
> Unable to get full ostemplate name for debian-5.0-x86
> Creating image: /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd size=2306867K
> Creating delta /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd bs=2048
> size=4613734 sectors
> Storing /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/DiskDescriptor.xml
> Adding delta dev=/dev/ploop0 img=/vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd
> (rw)
> PLOOP_IOC_ADD_DELTA /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd: Invalid
> argument
> Failed to create image: PLOOP_IOC_ADD_DELTA
> /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd: Invalid argument [3]
> Creation of container private area failed
> [root@mrmber ~]#
>
>
> When I issue a command to create a container with the same parameters
> except using layout=simfs instead of ploop, vzctl succeeds:
>
> [root@mrmber ~]# vzctl create 777 --layout=simfs --config=vswap-256m
> --ostemplate=debian-5.0-x86
> Unable to get full ostemplate name for debian-5.0-x86
> Creating container private area (debian-5.0-x86)
> Performing postcreate actions
> CT configuration saved to /etc/vz/conf/777.conf
> Container private area was created
> [root@mrmber ~]#
>
> Where should I be looking to solve this mystery?
>
> Regards,
>
> Joe
>


Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: adventures with layout=ploop [message #45621 is a reply to message #45619] Fri, 23 March 2012 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jjs - mainphrame is currently offline  jjs - mainphrame
Messages: 33
Registered: January 2012
Member
From: 69.25.174*
Hi Kir,

[root@mrmber ~]# uname -a
Linux mrmber.mainphrame.net 2.6.32-042stab052.8 #1 SMP Wed Mar 14 16:02:48
MSK 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

There was no dmesg content generated by the attempt to create the CT with
ploop layout; /var/log/vzctl.log contained only this:

2012-03-22T17:01:46-0700 vzctl : CT 779 : Unable to get full ostemplate
name for debian-5.0-x86
2012-03-22T17:01:46-0700 vzctl : CT 779 : Creating image:
/vz/private/779.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd size=2306867K
2012-03-22T17:01:46-0700 : PLOOP_IOC_ADD_DELTA
/vz/private/779.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd: Invalid argument
2012-03-22T17:01:46-0700 vzctl : CT 779 : Failed to create image:
PLOOP_IOC_ADD_DELTA /vz/private/779.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd: Invalid argument
[3]
2012-03-22T17:01:46-0700 vzctl : CT 779 : Creation of container private
area failed

Regards,

Joe

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Kir Kolyshkin <kir@openvz.org> wrote:

> On 03/22/2012 09:42 PM, jjs - mainphrame wrote:
>
>> My test platform is centos-6.2 32 bit. I had successfully created
>> ploop-based containers when testing the ploop and vzctl from git last week.
>> Today I installed the released ploop and vzctl rpms to test further.
>>
>
> Which kernel it is?
>
> Anything in dmesg output?
>
>
>
>> When I issue a command to create a ploop-based container, vzctl is unable
>> to complete the operation, exiting with errors:
>>
>> [root@mrmber ~]# vzctl create 777 --layout=ploop --config=vswap-256m
>> --ostemplate=debian-5.0-x86
>> Unable to get full ostemplate name for debian-5.0-x86
>> Creating image: /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/**root.hdd size=2306867K
>> Creating delta /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/**root.hdd bs=2048
>> size=4613734 sectors
>> Storing /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/**DiskDescriptor.xml
>> Adding delta dev=/dev/ploop0 img=/vz/private/777.tmp/root.**hdd/root.hdd
>> (rw)
>> PLOOP_IOC_ADD_DELTA /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/**root.hdd: Invalid
>> argument
>> Failed to create image: PLOOP_IOC_ADD_DELTA /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/
>> **root.hdd: Invalid argument [3]
>> Creation of container private area failed
>> [root@mrmber ~]#
>>
>>
>> When I issue a command to create a container with the same parameters
>> except using layout=simfs instead of ploop, vzctl succeeds:
>>
>> [root@mrmber ~]# vzctl create 777 --layout=simfs --config=vswap-256m
>> --ostemplate=debian-5.0-x86
>> Unable to get full ostemplate name for debian-5.0-x86
>> Creating container private area (debian-5.0-x86)
>> Performing postcreate actions
>> CT configuration saved to /etc/vz/conf/777.conf
>> Container private area was created
>> [root@mrmber ~]#
>>
>> Where should I be looking to solve this mystery?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Joe
>>
>>
>
Re: adventures with layout=ploop [message #45622 is a reply to message #45615] Fri, 23 March 2012 00:18 Go to previous message
jjs - mainphrame is currently offline  jjs - mainphrame
Messages: 33
Registered: January 2012
Member
From: 69.25.174*
Update -

After upgrading to kernel 2.6.32-042stab053.3 I'm happy to report that the
ploop-based container creation succeeds:

[root@mrmber ~]# vzctl create 779 --layout=ploop --config=vswap-256m
--ostemplate=debian-5.0-x86
Unable to get full ostemplate name for debian-5.0-x86
Creating image: /vz/private/779.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd size=2306867K
Creating delta /vz/private/779.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd bs=2048 size=4613734
sectors
Storing /vz/private/779.tmp/root.hdd/DiskDescriptor.xml
Adding delta dev=/dev/ploop0 img=/vz/private/779.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd (rw)
/sbin/mkfs -t ext4 -j -b4096 /dev/ploop0p1 </dev/null
mke2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
144288 inodes, 576256 blocks
28812 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=591396864
18 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
8016 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912

Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (16384 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 20 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
Creating balloon file .balloon-c3a5ae3d-ce7f-43c4-a1ea-c61e2b4504e8
Mounting /dev/ploop0p1 at /vz/private/779.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd.mnt
fstype=ext4 data=''
Umounting fs at /vz/private/779.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd.mnt
Unmounting device /dev/ploop0
Adding delta dev=/dev/ploop0 img=/vz/private/779.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd (rw)
Mounting /dev/ploop0p1 at /vz/root/779 fstype=ext4 data='balloon_ino=12,'
Creating container private area (debian-5.0-x86)
Umounting fs at /vz/root/779
Unmounting device /dev/ploop0
Adding delta dev=/dev/ploop0 img=/vz/private/779/root.hdd/root.hdd (rw)
Mounting /dev/ploop0p1 at /vz/root/779 fstype=ext4 data='balloon_ino=12,'
Performing postcreate actions
Umounting fs at /vz/root/779
Unmounting device /dev/ploop0
CT configuration saved to /etc/vz/conf/779.conf
Container private area was created
[root@mrmber ~]# vzctl start 779
Starting container ...
Adding delta dev=/dev/ploop0 img=/vz/private/779/root.hdd/root.hdd (rw)
Mounting /dev/ploop0p1 at /vz/root/779 fstype=ext4 data='balloon_ino=12,'
Container is mounted
Setting CPU units: 1000
Container start in progress...
[root@mrmber ~]# uname -a
Linux mrmber.mainphrame.net 2.6.32-042stab053.3 #1 SMP Tue Mar 20 23:15:03
MSK 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root@mrmber ~]#


Regards,

Joe

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM, jjs - mainphrame <jjs@mainphrame.com>wrote:

> My test platform is centos-6.2 32 bit. I had successfully created
> ploop-based containers when testing the ploop and vzctl from git last week.
> Today I installed the released ploop and vzctl rpms to test further.
>
> When I issue a command to create a ploop-based container, vzctl is unable
> to complete the operation, exiting with errors:
>
> [root@mrmber ~]# vzctl create 777 --layout=ploop --config=vswap-256m
> --ostemplate=debian-5.0-x86
> Unable to get full ostemplate name for debian-5.0-x86
> Creating image: /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd size=2306867K
> Creating delta /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd bs=2048 size=4613734
> sectors
> Storing /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/DiskDescriptor.xml
> Adding delta dev=/dev/ploop0 img=/vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd (rw)
> PLOOP_IOC_ADD_DELTA /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd: Invalid argument
> Failed to create image: PLOOP_IOC_ADD_DELTA
> /vz/private/777.tmp/root.hdd/root.hdd: Invalid argument [3]
> Creation of container private area failed
> [root@mrmber ~]#
>
>
> When I issue a command to create a container with the same parameters
> except using layout=simfs instead of ploop, vzctl succeeds:
>
> [root@mrmber ~]# vzctl create 777 --layout=simfs --config=vswap-256m
> --ostemplate=debian-5.0-x86
> Unable to get full ostemplate name for debian-5.0-x86
> Creating container private area (debian-5.0-x86)
> Performing postcreate actions
> CT configuration saved to /etc/vz/conf/777.conf
> Container private area was created
> [root@mrmber ~]#
>
> Where should I be looking to solve this mystery?
>
> Regards,
>
> Joe
>
>
Previous Topic: Processes in D state when vzctl chkpnt suspend
Next Topic: Problems encountered increasing CT diskspace with layout=ploop
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Sep 23 11:57:55 GMT 2018