OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Linux longterm support for next years
icon5.gif  Linux longterm support for next years [message #45024] Sat, 21 January 2012 20:50 Go to next message
elmig is currently offline  elmig
Information on the 'new' Linux longterm support kernel for the next years, by Greg KH [1].

So, i wondeer, any plans for the future on OpenVZ?
I would love to continue to have OpenVZ available on future realeses of distros (such as Debian).

1 - lwn.net/Articles/474872/
Re: Linux longterm support for next years [message #45094 is a reply to message #45024] Fri, 27 January 2012 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elmig is currently offline  elmig
Related - from the openVZ-devel mailing list:

openvz.org/pipermail/devel/2012-January/027704.html
Re: Linux longterm support for next years [message #45099 is a reply to message #45024] Sun, 29 January 2012 00:09 Go to previous message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
This post to the devel list is missinformed. The author isn't familiar with the current state of OpenVZ project and it's goals.

What I have learned during the years of using OpenVZ is, that the project concentrates on supporting Red Hat Enterprise Linux (and it's clones such as CentOS and Scientific Linux) and also submits pathches to the upstream vanilla kernel.

So, you will always find up to date RHEL kernels with OpenVZ patchset added. As you can see if you follow the links on the OpenVZ web page, current kernels for RHEL 4, 5 and 6 are available and get updated all the time.

Vanilla kernels such as 2.6.32 and others serve as development kernels and nobody from the OpenVZ project ever claimed they'll be supported for long.

As for getting a more recent 3.x kernel patched & published, there was a blog post (from Kir, I think?) explaining why isn't it happening right now. It also explains future OpenVZ plans. Search for it, it's all there...

To sum it up, the project is far from dead, it's very much alive and quite up to date. Hope this helps to clarify some of your questions and concerns.
Previous Topic: Proposal for rsync incremential online backup of container.
Next Topic: sync in container
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:32:40 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02359 seconds