OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Proposal for rsync incremential online backup of container. (Proposal for rsync incremential online backup of container.)
Proposal for rsync incremential online backup of container. [message #45004] Fri, 20 January 2012 12:51
pcxtra is currently offline  pcxtra
ezvzdump has some good elements however... ezvzdump claims to speed up by utilizing past dumps.

Some background information I learned myself from the ezvzdump script:
[1] what it does is that it will first do a local rsync to /vz/ezvzdump and will benefit a next run. But you don't want to keep this copy existing for all your containers as that way you will need twice the storage. So next run it will start over again.
[2] It then copies with rsync to a remote server, however without benefit of having a REMOTE dump already.
[3] Then it tars the remote copy... extra time and probably not needed AND this will disallow to make benefit of the previous backup like discussed in point 2. If you really need to restore later then you can always tar on that moment.
[4] it mentions to make a stable snapshot. When thinking of snapshot I'm thinking of LVM, however ezvzdump is not using LVM. It will suspend the server for minimal of time.

My proposal is to optimize ezvzdump even further
Let it use LVM snapshot, then DIRECTLY rsync to the remote server AND use the nice --link-dest option from rsync to really increase remote copy speed by utilitzing past REMOTE backups. And this will allow several backups of several days without consuming extra harddisk (only the differences)!

So it will not TAR the destination as rsync needs the file tree to allow hardlinking. The advantage is that you can even restore a container from a backup of some days before. And you can browse easily through the whole tree as if it's the source drive.

So the idea is in my mind, first checking if this is already done somewhere by somebody otherwise I will try to work it out more detailed.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 January 2012 12:54]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: OpenVZ don't remove folder vzctl-rm-me.*
Next Topic: Linux longterm support for next years
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:36:33 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03009 seconds