OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » CentOS 6 x64 Minimal Template
CentOS 6 x64 Minimal Template [message #44855] Mon, 09 January 2012 08:44 Go to next message
darkalfie is currently offline  darkalfie
wiki.openvz.org/Download/template/precreated

I notice there's no CentOS6 minimal template available now. (I used to use CentOS5 minimal)

Is there a guide or script that was used to create the CentOS6 full (for me to cut down) or the CentOS5 (for me to update) to create a CentOS6 template ?

I need to create the smallest possible image.
Re: CentOS 6 x64 Minimal Template [message #45437 is a reply to message #44855] Fri, 09 March 2012 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blainem is currently offline  blainem
Quote:
Is there a guide or script that was used to create the CentOS6 full ... to create a CentOS6 template (for me to cut down)

I haven't personally gone through the OpenVZ Wiki article outlining the steps to create a CentOS 5 template, but I would assume the steps are similar and would work for CentOS 6 (but don't take my word for it). Go here for the article: wiki.openvz.org/Creating_a_CentOS_5.0_Template
(It won't let me post the link since I haven't made 10 posts yet)

As far as stripping down the CentOS 6 template to be minimal; running
$ yum grouplist
will (in an easy way) show you what packages are installed and should be removed to make it "minimal". I would do some research to find out what all you're removing before you
$ yum groupremove

Quote:
... or the CentOS5 (for me to update) to create a CentOS6 template

CentOS (and most other distros) don't suggest upgrading to the next major versions (and generally make it difficult to do so), but recommend doing a complete re-install. I personally would apply that same understanding to creating a CentOS 6 template; eg don't attempt to upgrade from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6, then create the template.
Re: CentOS 6 x64 Minimal Template [message #45605 is a reply to message #44855] Wed, 21 March 2012 18:01 Go to previous message
devonblzx is currently offline  devonblzx
You could use this guide: http://wiki.openvz.org/Creating_a_CentOS_5.0_Template

Or you could: yum list installed
And remove all the packages you don't want.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-user-2.png
ByteOnSite President
Previous Topic: Nslcd and SSHd die on 2.6.32-5-openvz-amd64 debian
Next Topic: custom location for OS template
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:29:14 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02760 seconds