OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » prlctl deprecated on Openvz7
prlctl deprecated on Openvz7 [message #53794] Tue, 19 July 2022 22:55 Go to next message
nathan.brownrice is currently offline  nathan.brownrice
As of last year sometime with the latest kernel updates we noticed that when running prlctl the following warning is presented:

WARNING: You are using a deprecated CLI component that won't be installed by default in the next major release. Please use virsh instead

We've played around with virsh, and it's definitely not a direct replacement for prlctl. We're also familiar with vzctl, but it's not a direct replacement for prlctl either. Things such as snapshots must be done via prlctl, so we generally stick to that command for everything, as I believe was intended for Openvz7.

This has recently become a problem for us, as many of our internal scripts that are built around prlctl are failing due to the the STDERR warning output.

We've come up with somewhat of a work-around, but it's kinda hacky, and every time we yum update the server it gets erased. Is OpenVZ going to address this, or is there any other option for us?

Thanks!,
Re: prlctl deprecated on Openvz7 [message #53795 is a reply to message #53794] Wed, 10 August 2022 12:50 Go to previous message
wsap is currently offline  wsap
This is a good question. My guess is still that they intend for prlctl's container commands to be brought back to vzctl such that virsh is used for VMs and vzctl is used for containers, but that's just a guess. That would mean that you should be able to use vzctl snapshot to accomplish the same result as with prlctl and if not, try reporting that to them in the JIRA bug tracker.

But if I'm wrong about that, it would be nice if someone could clarify the goal going forward with regards to prlctl, vzctl, and virsh.

This has already been discussed a bit here: https://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&th=13663&st art=0& -- so it might make sense to merge these threads.
Previous Topic: Just wanted to say: -"Thank you!" and the best for OpenVZ 8
Next Topic: OpenVZ7 - vzoversell or vzmemcheck alternative
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:02:07 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02411 seconds