OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Update killed cgroups and vcmmd (Updated to OpenVZ 7.9 and that's all she wrote..)
icon8.gif  Update killed cgroups and vcmmd [message #53752] Fri, 23 July 2021 05:55 Go to next message
azilber is currently offline  azilber
I've been running yum update for a while and everything was for a few months. Today I decided to do a last yum update and rebooted.
vcmmd refuses to startup with:
2021-07-23 05:28:02 CRITICAL vcmmd: IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/sys/fs/cgroup/memory/user.slice/memory.cache.limit_in_bytes'

Doing systemd-cgls showed user.slice wasn't running.

Funny enough, if I run systemctl start user.slice, followed by screen, and then run vcmmd -i from screen, it runs. So for some reason, systemd is not longer creating the correct user.slice cgroups for vcmmd.

Any ideas? This seems like a systemd issue.

So to re-iterate, the workaround right now to get this thing working janky is:
1. systemctl start user.slice
2. screen
3. vcmmd -i

I've dug around some more, and it looks like I can start vcmmd with systemctl, after I manually do systemctl start user.slice. But doing a status on user.slice shows wrong info, and it doesn't startup properly on boot.
So the issue I think is there some form of corruption or bug relating to cgroups and user.slice in systemd.

For example, after reboot:
# systemctl status user.slice
● user.slice - User and Session Slice
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/user.slice; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:systemd.special(7)

So, this looks like it may be a bug actually in vcmmd. vcmmd is expecting to read user.slice data, but it's operating out of system.slice, and user.slice doesn't seem to automatically get created on boot... ??

Info:
# cat /etc/redhat-release
Virtuozzo Linux release 7.9
Using:
systemd-219-78.vl7.4.x86_64
vcmmd-7.0.192-1.vz7.x86_64

[Updated on: Fri, 23 July 2021 15:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Update killed cgroups and vcmmd [message #53755 is a reply to message #53752] Fri, 13 August 2021 17:16 Go to previous message
TheStig is currently offline  TheStig
had a very similar bug but restarting user.slice didn't work: I had to create the /sys/fs/cgroup/memory/user.slice directory by hand. the "memory."-files were automatically created and i could start the vcmmd deamon afterwards.

it also happend after upgrading the system and rebooting

[Updated on: Fri, 13 August 2021 17:17]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: pcompact errors during nightly cron
Next Topic: Can migration continue after IO errors?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:42:24 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02518 seconds