OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Openvz 8? (Plans for the next release of Openvz)
Openvz 8? [message #53683] Tue, 25 August 2020 16:23 Go to next message
jjs - mainphrame is currently offline  jjs - mainphrame
Greetings, I've been using openvz (and virtuozzo) since version 5. It's still my go to solution, and believe me, I've tried them all.

I'm beginning to wonder if OVZ-7 is the end of the road. Is there some plan for OVZ-8? I've heard no official word or even unofficial chatter about OVZ-8 lately, and I'm starting to cast about to make sure there are alternatives, in case this is a dead end.

Can you confirm or deny that there will be a Centos-8 based release of OVZ?

A clear word would do much to give us some much needed peace of mind.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-user.png
Re: Openvz 8? [message #53698 is a reply to message #53683] Mon, 28 September 2020 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Hi!

At last i do have something to provide you officially:
tomorrow (29.09.2020) there will be a webinar from Virtuozzo and there will be slides about roadmap.
Speakers: director of our RnD and our Product Manager.

Official slides.

The banner for registration (just to get a link, no cost of course) is on openvz.org now,
here is the link as well: https://bit.ly/2Ekkodo

Hope, that will vanish all the doubts about the future - there will be OVZ8! Smile

Have a nice day!

--
Konstantin

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Re: Openvz 8? [message #53721 is a reply to message #53698] Thu, 10 December 2020 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dmc_dtc is currently offline  dmc_dtc
So in light of CentOS making new direction to CentOS Stream

https://https:// lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2020-December/048 208.html

i was wondering if this will affect OpenVZ plans for OpenVZ 8

I see that cloudLinux SEO is announcing new RHEL 8 distro, so i was wondering how this can/will affect OpenVZ8

Thank you

>> dmc / dtc <<
Re: Openvz 8? [message #53723 is a reply to message #53721] Mon, 14 December 2020 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

yes, every "iron" translates this new nowadays, so your question is definitely valid and expected. Smile

Fortunately this will not affect OpenVZ 8 anyhow - even at the moment we don't use CentOS as a base,
we do rebuild RHEL packages ourselves (it's just faster then waiting for CentOS packages).

The only interesting question here is - what is going to be with CentOS-based Containers.
This is not decided yet: definitely we will suggest some way (the best way, of course! Smile).

There will be probably a new template(s?) instead of CentOS one for new Containers -
it might be another incarnation of our own VzLinux (or whatever name will be chosen) or
template of RockyLinux/OracleLinux/CloudLinux/etc - there are a lot of them appeared right after announcement of stable CentOS death.

Re: Openvz 8? [message #53728 is a reply to message #53723] Tue, 15 December 2020 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dmc_dtc is currently offline  dmc_dtc
Thank you Khorenko on your detailed reply, glad to hear we wont have problem at least with OpenVZ, although with OpenVZ8 we will definitely be switching to full OpenVZ8 that is virtuozzo linux iso, since we've been relying on CentOS7 for current version which is not ideal, but with help of KVM our provider now gives us ability to install custom ISO, but hopefully with OpenVZ8 will be shipped some script similar to OpenVZ7 which converts then popular RHEL like distro to full OpenVZ8 which would simplify instalation without using KVM. I am willing to test it localy and on servers if needed Smile

That said, considering how virtuoozzo have already its own RHEL-like linux, you could use this to your advantage and make one Virtuozzo-VZ server like version and one 100% binary RHEL8 compatibile version for client containers and since the brand and parent company is well established it could be interesting opportunity.

Kind regrads,
Vladimir Mitic

>> dmc / dtc <<

[Updated on: Tue, 15 December 2020 17:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Openvz 8? [message #53734 is a reply to message #53683] Sat, 06 March 2021 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just out of curiosity, will there be selinux support in openvz 8?

In the past it may have been easiest to just turn off selinux enforcement in order to allow everything to work, but it would be nice to have a set of selinux policies in place to allow openvz to do everything it needs to do, while protecting against unauthorized access.

The corporate suits love to see all the check boxes checked, and selinux is a big one.

Re: Openvz 8? [message #53737 is a reply to message #53734] Mon, 15 March 2021 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

well, i did not have a chance to work under selinux code and not sure

1) for selinux management inside a VZ Container:
Is there is a functionality at the moment to configure selinux per-namespace from inside this namespace.
i have not seen such a functionality in mainstream kernel. If i miss something, please point me out.

2) for selinux configuration for VZ Containers done on host:
Well, this seems to be possible, why not,
the main difficulty here should be to audit all VZ userspace and generate a selinux configuration for each of them
which will be strict enough but won't break anything.

But you've meant the point 1), right?
And while there is no such a functionality available, it will be a big feature.

Re: Openvz 8? [message #53739 is a reply to message #53737] Wed, 17 March 2021 16:15 Go to previous message
Hello, and thanks for your insights.

Well, (1) and/or (2) would be great to have available, but even (0) (selinux for host itself) would be an easy first step.

I've seen where redhat provides selinux policies to contain the little chrooted app (docker) environments, which started me thinking about how that could be extended to full system containers.

Just a thought...

Previous Topic: OpenVZ install error CentOS7
Next Topic: What is the latest stable OVZ version?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:12:06 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02562 seconds