OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ Legacy : how to "protect/keep" Cached RAM inside a container? (UBC settings?)
OpenVZ Legacy : how to "protect/keep" Cached RAM inside a container? (UBC settings?) [message #53243] Wed, 25 July 2018 23:31 Go to next message
devnull is currently offline  devnull
Hello ! Smile

(Please forgive my bad English)

System : OpenVZ Legacy over Debian, 2.6.32-openvz-042stab130.1-amd64 (will reboot server soon in order to upgrade to latest kernel)

Is there a way to keep/protect "Cached" memory allocated inside a container?

Host node has enough RAM to handle it but kernel still reclaims "Cached" (/proc/meminfo) memory from some containers.

Thanks for your help!
Re: OpenVZ Legacy : how to "protect/keep" Cached RAM inside a container? (UBC settings?) [message #53247 is a reply to message #53243] Fri, 27 July 2018 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
websavers is currently offline  websavers
Are you sure it's the node/kernel reclaiming it? On our CentOS 6 boxes using 2.6.32 each container is most definitely holding on to its memory cache in our case... Could simply be the differential between CentOS and Debian, but it might also be that some cron or other task is running on your container that's freeing or compacting the memory?
Re: OpenVZ Legacy : how to "protect/keep" Cached RAM inside a container? (UBC settings?) [message #53279 is a reply to message #53247] Mon, 06 August 2018 12:11 Go to previous message
devnull is currently offline  devnull
Hello!

Indeed, it was that...

A home-made backup script was requesting memory (cached RAM) and was releasing it after finishing its job.

Nevertheless, is there a way to reserve/protect memory inside a container?

I need some containers to be prioritised, even if others containers are starving on RAM.

Note: I do not sell VPS, it's for my personal use.

Have a nice day!
Previous Topic: OpenVZ7 and HP smart array p400
Next Topic: iptables not working probably
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 14 21:39:06 GMT 2018