OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Considering moving from Docker to OpenVZ (OpenVZ - VNC - Checkpoint Restore)
Considering moving from Docker to OpenVZ [message #52709] Sun, 08 January 2017 02:03 Go to next message
iprimo is currently offline  iprimo
Hi,

I am a current Docker and Runc user; as a part of a project requirement I have to run GUI apps inside containers and access them via Xpra.

The issue raises when I have to checkpoint containers running GUI apps, it seems CRIU does not like the concept of unix-sockets inside containers, and special IPC has to be created.

I have seen a few videos on Youtube using OpenVZ to migrate GUI\VNC apps (not Xpra), however, in most cases there are some custom configuration had to be made for these videos and it is not native, and only very specific apps are supported.

Based on the sales material, it seems OpenVZ has no issue with GUI\Xpra apps checkpoint-ing\migration (native support for unix-socket). If that is correct, I can consider advising my client to move to OpenVZ.

Before I invest time and dig very deep in OpenVZ, I would like to ask, does anyone had any experience with OpenVZ Checkpoint-ing and migration for GUI apps? Any tricks ? Is it native support or IPCs has to be created? and...

Thanks
iPrimo
Re: Considering moving from Docker to OpenVZ [message #52763 is a reply to message #52709] Wed, 08 March 2017 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehab is currently offline  ehab
Openvz is at a cross roads now, unless you are already heavily invested in it, i would suggest an alternative

Re: Considering moving from Docker to OpenVZ [message #52814 is a reply to message #52763] Tue, 25 April 2017 22:18 Go to previous message
azilber is currently offline  azilber
ehab wrote on Wed, 08 March 2017 16:44
Openvz is at a cross roads now, unless you are already heavily invested in it, i would suggest an alternative

Do you mind expanding on this? Why do you think this is so?
Previous Topic: newbie question from former whm user
Next Topic: What's the correct way to install OpenVZ via kickstart
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:25:00 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02543 seconds