OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ Debian 8 Jesse (current debian version) Support?
OpenVZ Debian 8 Jesse (current debian version) Support? [message #52013] Sat, 25 April 2015 12:31 Go to next message
Lope is currently offline  Lope
Hi,

Intro
Thanks for making and contributing to the wonderful OpenVZ. I've only recently started testing OpenVZ on Debian Wheezy a few months ago. Once I start using it commercially I plan to donate Smile

My old server has Debian 7 Wheezy running OpenVZ 2.6.32 etc 106.4 amd64 kernel as well as wheezy-backports qemu libvirtd 1.2.9.

I just tried to setup a new server with the same software on a dedicated server, but there were wheezy-backports apt-get dependency issues I could not resolve. libvirtd was really old. 0.x.x so I upgraded my new dedicated server to Jesse.

Main issue
Now Debian 8 Jesse (stable as of today) will boot with the 3.16 kernel, but it won't boot with the OpenVZ kernel: systemd: failed to mount tmpfs at /sys/fs/cgroup: no such file or directory.

When I boot the 3.16 kernel and I run this: update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.32-openvz-042stab106.4-amd64 it says Generating blah. W: mdadm: /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf defines no arrays. depmod: WARNING: Could not open /var/tmp/mkinitramfs blah/lib/modules/2.6.32-openvz blah/modules.builtin: no such file or directory.

I see there is a workaround: http://bugzilla.openvz.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3188
But I don't know if it's safe to rely on that. What if a Jesse update breaks my OpenVZ server?
Is it still safe to run OpenVZ on debian 7 even?
Debian 7 Wheezy will only be supported by the Debian team another year.

Does OpenVZ have plans to support Debian 8?

[Updated on: Sun, 26 April 2015 08:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OpenVZ Debian 8 Jesse (current debian version) Support? [message #52016 is a reply to message #52013] Tue, 28 April 2015 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
divB is currently offline  divB
Same questions and concern here. Thanks for any answers Smile
Re: OpenVZ Debian 8 Jesse (current debian version) Support? [message #52024 is a reply to message #52016] Tue, 28 April 2015 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Just an update.
After installing sysvinit-core sysvinit and systemd-shim I was able to select an openvz kernel with sysvinit from the GRUB boot menu.

It actually booted the OpenVZ stab108 kernel successfully.
However I could not start a container.
First it gave an error about not finding a kernel module. So I modprobe'd it, and then it gave a different error. It said something about the kernel being really old and not supporting stuff (maybe it was ploop, can't remember). Strange message because it was an OpenVZ kernel.

Anyway, for now I'm running OpenVZ on Wheezy 7.8

[Updated on: Tue, 28 April 2015 17:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OpenVZ Debian 8 Jesse (current debian version) Support? [message #52054 is a reply to message #52024] Mon, 18 May 2015 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
notbuu is currently offline  notbuu
Currently OpenVZ released a beta template of Debian 8 -> https://openvz.org/w/index.php?title=Download/template/precr eated#Beta_templates
Re: OpenVZ Debian 8 Jesse (current debian version) Support? [message #52061 is a reply to message #52054] Fri, 22 May 2015 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@notbuu: You didn't read much did you?
You're the only person talking about templates. We're talking about hostnode OS and kernels etc. Maybe you're in the wrong thread?
Re: OpenVZ Debian 8 Jesse (current debian version) Support? [message #52062 is a reply to message #52013] Fri, 22 May 2015 18:07 Go to previous message
Paparaciz
probably better it would be asked in devel mailing list ( https://lists.openvz.org/mailman/listinfo/devel ) .
or maybe fill a bug report to get direct answers from developers.

Previous Topic: Ruby ERROR Mail Web-Interface
Next Topic: OpenVZ Inside Access
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 07:19:34 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02462 seconds