OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Should I switch to KVM with Centos 6?
Should I switch to KVM with Centos 6? [message #41085] Sun, 14 November 2010 18:49 Go to next message
ktwalrus is currently offline  ktwalrus
I am currently running OpenVZ on Centos 5. My VMs are all running the same version of Centos and are webservers (running nginx, mysql, and php).

Should I spend a lot of time investigating switching to KVM when we do the Centos 6 upgrade?

Are there any advantages to me to switch to KVM?

I figure that KVM is now very well integrated into RHEL 6 and will be well supported. But, I like how light-weight virtualization is with OpenVZ.

Will OpenVZ on Centos 6 be as efficient as KVM will be?

Basically, I'm looking for the pros and cons of each virtualization package for my situation and whether I should switch to KVM?
Re: Should I switch to KVM with Centos 6? [message #41087 is a reply to message #41085] Sun, 14 November 2010 20:02 Go to previous message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
The main difference remains the same, OpenVZ is paravirtualization, KVM is a full virtualization technology. As far as the resources go, I see no way KVM can be as efficient as OpenVZ, regardless of the OS integration.

There is the administrative side of things, of course. KVM has a full Red Hat support, different administration tools, etc. Many differences here. It's hard to give any advice here, as all this really depends on your needs.

I would do a proper research on all possible pros and cons. Now would be a good time to do it.

A I see it, we'll switch from OpenVZ to LXC once the project becomes more mature and keep using KVM for our full virtualization needs.
Previous Topic: Installing OpenVZ kernel on Ubuntu Lucid (10.04)
Next Topic: control panel question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 07:52:32 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02407 seconds