OpenVZ Forum


Home » Mailing lists » Devel » mini-summit agenda
mini-summit agenda [message #29686] Mon, 21 April 2008 14:25 Go to next message
serue is currently offline  serue
Messages: 750
Registered: February 2006
Senior Member
Hi,

the proposed agenda for the mini-summit is up (and editable)
at http://wiki.openvz.org/Containers/Mini-summit_2008.  Please
take a look and edit or email the list with any suggested updates.

Right now I'm thinking 9-11am namespaces, 11-12 for general cgroup, 12-2
lunch, 2-3 for continued cgroup or other resource management, and 3-5
for checkpoint restart.  Or maybe we make the sessions longer but do
cgroups and checkpoint/restart at the same time.

One suggestion was to have some time at the end for presentations
particularly on works in progress.  We're pretty short on time as
is, but if there is significant or just really cool work being
done we should try to work it in.  Does anyone have anything they'd
want to do a short presentation about?

thanks,
-serge
_______________________________________________
Containers mailing list
Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
Re: mini-summit agenda [message #30751 is a reply to message #29686] Fri, 06 June 2008 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cedric Le Goater is currently offline  Cedric Le Goater
Messages: 443
Registered: February 2006
Senior Member
Hello !

Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> the proposed agenda for the mini-summit is up (and editable)
> at http://wiki.openvz.org/Containers/Mini-summit_2008.  Please
> take a look and edit or email the list with any suggested updates.

Unfortunately, I can not attend. Daniel Lezcano will replace me.

Thanks,

C.

> Right now I'm thinking 9-11am namespaces, 11-12 for general cgroup, 12-2
> lunch, 2-3 for continued cgroup or other resource management, and 3-5
> for checkpoint restart.  Or maybe we make the sessions longer but do
> cgroups and checkpoint/restart at the same time.
> 
> One suggestion was to have some time at the end for presentations
> particularly on works in progress.  We're pretty short on time as
> is, but if there is significant or just really cool work being
> done we should try to work it in.  Does anyone have anything they'd
> want to do a short presentation about?
> 
> thanks,
> -serge
> _______________________________________________
> Containers mailing list
> Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
> https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
> 

_______________________________________________
Containers mailing list
Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
Re: mini-summit agenda [message #30776 is a reply to message #30751] Fri, 06 June 2008 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
serue is currently offline  serue
Messages: 750
Registered: February 2006
Senior Member
Quoting Cedric Le Goater (clg@fr.ibm.com):
> Hello !
> 
> Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 
> > the proposed agenda for the mini-summit is up (and editable)
> > at http://wiki.openvz.org/Containers/Mini-summit_2008.  Please
> > take a look and edit or email the list with any suggested updates.
> 
> Unfortunately, I can not attend. Daniel Lezcano will replace me.

Sorry to hear that, Cedric.  So far I'm pretty sure we'll have Dave
Hansen, Oren Laadan, Daniel, and myself.  22 people put their names
down on the wiki list, but I wonder how many ended up able to travel?

> Thanks,
> 
> C.
> 
> > Right now I'm thinking 9-11am namespaces, 11-12 for general cgroup, 12-2
> > lunch, 2-3 for continued cgroup or other resource management, and 3-5
> > for checkpoint restart.  Or maybe we make the sessions longer but do
> > cgroups and checkpoint/restart at the same time.
> > 
> > One suggestion was to have some time at the end for presentations
> > particularly on works in progress.  We're pretty short on time as
> > is, but if there is significant or just really cool work being
> > done we should try to work it in.  Does anyone have anything they'd
> > want to do a short presentation about?
> > 
> > thanks,
> > -serge
> > _______________________________________________
> > Containers mailing list
> > Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
> > https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
> > 
_______________________________________________
Containers mailing list
Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
Re: mini-summit agenda [message #30777 is a reply to message #30776] Fri, 06 June 2008 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benjamin Thery is currently offline  Benjamin Thery
Messages: 79
Registered: March 2007
Member
Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Cedric Le Goater (clg@fr.ibm.com):
>> Hello !
>>
>> Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> the proposed agenda for the mini-summit is up (and editable)
>>> at http://wiki.openvz.org/Containers/Mini-summit_2008.  Please
>>> take a look and edit or email the list with any suggested updates.
>> Unfortunately, I can not attend. Daniel Lezcano will replace me.
> 
> Sorry to hear that, Cedric.  So far I'm pretty sure we'll have Dave
> Hansen, Oren Laadan, Daniel, and myself.  22 people put their names
> down on the wiki list, but I wonder how many ended up able to travel?

I'll be there too to bring my modest contribution.

Benjamin

> 
>> Thanks,
>>
>> C.
>>
>>> Right now I'm thinking 9-11am namespaces, 11-12 for general cgroup, 12-2
>>> lunch, 2-3 for continued cgroup or other resource management, and 3-5
>>> for checkpoint restart.  Or maybe we make the sessions longer but do
>>> cgroups and checkpoint/restart at the same time.
>>>
>>> One suggestion was to have some time at the end for presentations
>>> particularly on works in progress.  We're pretty short on time as
>>> is, but if there is significant or just really cool work being
>>> done we should try to work it in.  Does anyone have anything they'd
>>> want to do a short presentation about?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> -serge
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Containers mailing list
>>> Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
>>> https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
>>>
> _______________________________________________
> Containers mailing list
> Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
> https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
> 
> 


-- 
B e n j a m i n   T h e r y  - BULL/DT/Open Software R&D

    http://www.bull.com
_______________________________________________
Containers mailing list
Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
Re: mini-summit agenda [message #30968 is a reply to message #30776] Wed, 11 June 2008 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Masahiko Takahashi is currently offline  Masahiko Takahashi
Messages: 9
Registered: December 2006
Junior Member
Hi Serge,

On 2008-06-06 at 08:31 -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Cedric Le Goater (clg@fr.ibm.com):
> > Hello !
> > 
> > Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > 
> > > the proposed agenda for the mini-summit is up (and editable)
> > > at http://wiki.openvz.org/Containers/Mini-summit_2008.  Please
> > > take a look and edit or email the list with any suggested updates.
> > 
> > Unfortunately, I can not attend. Daniel Lezcano will replace me.
> 
> Sorry to hear that, Cedric.  So far I'm pretty sure we'll have Dave
> Hansen, Oren Laadan, Daniel, and myself.  22 people put their names
> down on the wiki list, but I wonder how many ended up able to travel?

I and Satoshi Uchida are gonna join!
Satoshi would be happy if there will be a little bit chance to
discuss about disk I/O bandwidth control in the resource management
session.


Thanks,

Masahiko.

---
Masahiko Takahashi // m-takahashi@ex.jp.nec.com

_______________________________________________
Containers mailing list
Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
Re: mini-summit agenda [message #30972 is a reply to message #30968] Wed, 11 June 2008 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
serue is currently offline  serue
Messages: 750
Registered: February 2006
Senior Member
Quoting Masahiko Takahashi (m-takahashi@ex.jp.nec.com):
> Hi Serge,
> 
> On 2008-06-06 at 08:31 -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > Quoting Cedric Le Goater (clg@fr.ibm.com):
> > > Hello !
> > > 
> > > Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > > > Hi,
> > > > 
> > > > the proposed agenda for the mini-summit is up (and editable)
> > > > at http://wiki.openvz.org/Containers/Mini-summit_2008.  Please
> > > > take a look and edit or email the list with any suggested updates.
> > > 
> > > Unfortunately, I can not attend. Daniel Lezcano will replace me.
> > 
> > Sorry to hear that, Cedric.  So far I'm pretty sure we'll have Dave
> > Hansen, Oren Laadan, Daniel, and myself.  22 people put their names
> > down on the wiki list, but I wonder how many ended up able to travel?
> 
> I and Satoshi Uchida are gonna join!
> Satoshi would be happy if there will be a little bit chance to
> discuss about disk I/O bandwidth control in the resource management
> session.

Excellent.  Paul and Balbir will be moderating the cgroup and resource
management section, but I'd be surprised if they refused to talk about
it :)

thanks,
-serge
_______________________________________________
Containers mailing list
Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
Re: mini-summit agenda [message #31031 is a reply to message #29686] Sun, 15 June 2008 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dhaval Giani is currently offline  Dhaval Giani
Messages: 37
Registered: June 2007
Member
On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 09:53:05PM +0900, Midori Sugaya wrote:
> Hello all,
> 
> My name is Midori Sugara. I work for implementing cpu resource 
> management system on Linux kernenl. I had already implemented cpu 
> and memory resource management system named CABI.
> Now we are trying to re-implement this system by cgroup mechanism.
> This project is now work in progress.
> 

Hi Midori,

There already is a CPU and a memory resource management based on top of
cgroups in mainline. How is your implementation different from the one
already in mainline?

> I hear cgroup meetnig will be held in Otawa Linux kernel symposium, and
> I would like to attend this meeting for sharing latest informations and
> future roadmap of cgroups.
> Could I attend the meeting?
> 

Sure, it is open for all.

Thanks
-- 
regards,
Dhaval
_______________________________________________
Containers mailing list
Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
Re: mini-summit agenda [message #31176 is a reply to message #31031] Mon, 16 June 2008 01:49 Go to previous message
Midori Sugaya is currently offline  Midori Sugaya
Messages: 2
Registered: June 2008
Junior Member
Hi Dhaval,
 
> There already is a CPU and a memory resource management based on top of
> cgroups in mainline. How is your implementation different from the one
> already in mainline?

Basic idea is similar as the cpusets that it will set caps for processes.
In our system, user set the period and maximum execution time for the
group of processes through the cgroup filesystem.

The different is that our implementation uses hrtimer (kernel timer) 
functions to measure the time of execution for each process. It makes
our system independent from the scheduler. 
I think the point is different from the mainline cpusets implementation.
Memory management is a simple mechanism to hook the pagefault function
to track the quantum of using pages for group of processes. 
 
Our implementation is focus on the embedded system which is the demand 
to control the task with absolute period and execution time and low overhead.
 
> > I hear cgroup meetnig will be held in Otawa Linux kernel symposium, and
> > I would like to attend this meeting for sharing latest informations and
> > future roadmap of cgroups.
> > Could I attend the meeting?
> > 
> 
> Sure, it is open for all.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to joinig you.

Midori

_______________________________________________
Containers mailing list
Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
Re: mini-summit agenda [message #31177 is a reply to message #30972] Sun, 15 June 2008 12:53 Go to previous message
Midori Sugaya is currently offline  Midori Sugaya
Messages: 2
Registered: June 2008
Junior Member
Hello all,

My name is Midori Sugara. I work for implementing cpu resource 
management system on Linux kernenl. I had already implemented cpu 
and memory resource management system named CABI.
Now we are trying to re-implement this system by cgroup mechanism.
This project is now work in progress.

I hear cgroup meetnig will be held in Otawa Linux kernel symposium, and
I would like to attend this meeting for sharing latest informations and
future roadmap of cgroups.
Could I attend the meeting?

Best regards,

Midori Sugaya
Project CABI: http://osrg.dcl.info.waseda.ac.jp/~doly/cabi/


On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:47:59 -0500
"Serge E. Hallyn" <serue@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Quoting Masahiko Takahashi (m-takahashi@ex.jp.nec.com):
> > Hi Serge,
> > 
> > On 2008-06-06 at 08:31 -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > > Quoting Cedric Le Goater (clg@fr.ibm.com):
> > > > Hello !
> > > > 
> > > > Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > > > > Hi,
> > > > > 
> > > > > the proposed agenda for the mini-summit is up (and editable)
> > > > > at http://wiki.openvz.org/Containers/Mini-summit_2008.  Please
> > > > > take a look and edit or email the list with any suggested updates.
> > > > 
> > > > Unfortunately, I can not attend. Daniel Lezcano will replace me.
> > > 
> > > Sorry to hear that, Cedric.  So far I'm pretty sure we'll have Dave
> > > Hansen, Oren Laadan, Daniel, and myself.  22 people put their names
> > > down on the wiki list, but I wonder how many ended up able to travel?
> > 
> > I and Satoshi Uchida are gonna join!
> > Satoshi would be happy if there will be a little bit chance to
> > discuss about disk I/O bandwidth control in the resource management
> > session.
> 
> Excellent.  Paul and Balbir will be moderating the cgroup and resource
> management section, but I'd be surprised if they refused to talk about
> it :)
> 
> thanks,
> -serge
> _______________________________________________
> Containers mailing list
> Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
> https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
> 

-----------------------------------------
Midori Sugaya
Dependable Embedded OS R&D Center
Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST)
tel: (+81-)3-3526-6724
http://www.dependable-os.net/

_______________________________________________
Containers mailing list
Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
Previous Topic: [PATCH] a couple of missed do_each_thread
Next Topic: [PATCH] cryo: Improve socket support: add UDP and IPv6
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Jul 14 03:46:17 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02190 seconds