OpenVZ Forum


Home » Mailing lists » Devel » Re: 2.6.23-mm1 s390 driver problem
Re: 2.6.23-mm1 s390 driver problem [message #22048] Fri, 19 October 2007 09:16 Go to next message
Cedric Le Goater is currently offline  Cedric Le Goater
Messages: 443
Registered: February 2006
Senior Member
Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 15:31 -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
>> Quoting Christian Borntraeger (borntraeger@de.ibm.com):
>>> Am Donnerstag, 18. Oktober 2007 schrieb Serge E. Hallyn:
>>>> Sigh, well this turned out less informative than I'd liked.
>>>> After bisecting 2.6.23 to 2.6.23-mm1, I found that
>>>> git-s390.patch is the one breaking my s390 boot :(
>>>> (Frown bc it's a conglomeration of patches0
>>>>
>>>> Symptom is:
>>>> 	"Cannot open root device "dasdd2" or unknown-block(94,14)"
>>>> even though dasdd2 appeared to be found earlier in the boot.  I also
>>>> get
>>> Can you post the full console output from IPL to the unsuccessful end?
>> Yeah, sorry, appended below.
>>
>> I had thought that the line
>> 	sysctl table check failed: /sunrpc/transports .7249.14 Missing strategy
>> meant that the fix referenced in http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/11/48
>> would fix it, but it appeared to have no effect.
> 
> This is the vmlinux.lds.S problem. The cleanup patch from Sam Ravnborg
> moved the __initramfs_start and __initramfs_end symbols into
> the .init.ramfs section. This is in itself not a problem, but it
> surfaced a bug: there is no *(.init.initramfs), that needs to be
> *(init.ramfs). I corrected this in the upstream patch but 2.6.23-mm1 has
> the older one that still causes the "Cannot open root device". For
> 2.6.23-mm1 use the patch below.
> 

thanks martin, 

that helped going a little further in the boot process but we then have 
a network issue when bringing the network interface up :

Bringing up interface eth0:  ------------› cut here ®------------ 
Kernel BUG at 0000000000000002 ›verbose debug info unavailable® 
illegal operation: 0001 ›#1® 
Modules linked in: 
CPU:    0    Not tainted 
Process ip (pid: 1167, task: 0000000001d46038, ksp: 00000000025efb28) 
Krnl PSW : 0704200180000000 0000000000000002 (0x2) 
           R:0 T:1 IO:1 EX:1 Key:0 M:1 W:0 P:0 AS:0 CC:2 PM:0 EA:3 
Krnl GPRS: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 000000000241f600 0000000001c8d
           00000000000086dd 0000000001eb6d70 0000000000000000 0000000001c8d
           0000000001eb6d40 00000000003abc28 0000000001eb6d00 00000000025ef
           000000000241f600 00000000003b6d18 00000000002b33d2 00000000025ef
Krnl Code:>0000000000000002: 0000               unknown 
           0000000000000004: 0000               unknown 
           0000000000000006: 0000               unknown 
           0000000000000008: 0000               unknown 
           000000000000000a: 0000               unknown 
           000000000000000c: 0000               unknown 
           000000000000000e: 0000               unknown 
           0000000000000010: 0000               unknown 
Call Trace: 
(›<00000000002b3352>® neigh_connected_output+0x76/0x138) 
 ›<0000000000325402>® ip6_output2+0x2da/0x470 
 ›<0000000000326ea6>® ip6_output+0x816/0x1064 
 ›<0000000000338e46>® __ndisc_send+0x416/0x6a8 
 ›<0000000000339330>® ndisc_send_rs+0x58/0x68 
 ›<000000000032cbf4>® addrconf_dad_completed+0xbc/0x100 
 ›<000000000032d2de>® addrconf_dad_start+0xa2/0x14c 
 ›<000000000032d408>® addrconf_add_linklocal+0x80/0xa8 
 ›<000000000032fa7e>® addrconf_notify+0x2de/0x8d4 
 ›<0000000000383990>® notifier_call_chain+0x5c/0x98 
 ›<0000000000063bca>® __raw_notifier_call_chain+0x26/0x34 
 ›<0000000000063c06>® raw_notifier_call_chain+0x2e/0x3c 
 ›<00000000002aa54c>® call_netdevice_notifiers+0x34/0x44 
 ›<00000000002ad1aa>® dev_open+0x9e/0xe0 
 ›<00000000002ad80a>® dev_change_flags+0x9e/0x1cc 
 ›<0000000000302c74>® devinet_ioctl+0x650/0x73c 
 ›<00000000003050ba>® inet_ioctl+0xde/0xf4 
 ›<000000000029a8d0>® sock_ioctl+0x1cc/0x2dc 
 ›<00000000000cb844>® do_ioctl+0xb8/0xcc 
 ›<00000000000cb8f2>® vfs_ioctl+0x9a/0x3ec 
 ›<00000000000cbc96>® sys_ioctl+0x52/0x7c 
 ›<0000000000022484>® sysc_noemu+0x10/0x16 
 ›<000002000010df12>® 0x2000010df12 

00000000002b3352 gives : include/linux/netdevice.h:819

C. 
_______________________________________________
Containers mailing list
Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
Re: 2.6.23-mm1 s390 driver problem [message #22049 is a reply to message #22048] Fri, 19 October 2007 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Schwidefsky is currently offline  Martin Schwidefsky
Messages: 5
Registered: January 2007
Junior Member
On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 11:16 +0200, Cedric Le Goater wrote:
> > This is the vmlinux.lds.S problem. The cleanup patch from Sam Ravnborg
> > moved the __initramfs_start and __initramfs_end symbols into
> > the .init.ramfs section. This is in itself not a problem, but it
> > surfaced a bug: there is no *(.init.initramfs), that needs to be
> > *(init.ramfs). I corrected this in the upstream patch but 2.6.23-mm1 has
> > the older one that still causes the "Cannot open root device". For
> > 2.6.23-mm1 use the patch below.
> > 
> 
> thanks martin, 
> 
> that helped going a little further in the boot process but we then have 
> a network issue when bringing the network interface up :

See http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=119270398931208&w=2
 
-- 
blue skies,
  Martin.

"Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin.


_______________________________________________
Containers mailing list
Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
Re: 2.6.23-mm1 s390 driver problem [message #22051 is a reply to message #22048] Fri, 19 October 2007 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akpm is currently offline  akpm
Messages: 224
Registered: March 2007
Senior Member
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:16:16 +0200 Cedric Le Goater <clg@fr.ibm.com> wrote:

> Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 15:31 -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> >> Quoting Christian Borntraeger (borntraeger@de.ibm.com):
> >>> Am Donnerstag, 18. Oktober 2007 schrieb Serge E. Hallyn:
> >>>> Sigh, well this turned out less informative than I'd liked.
> >>>> After bisecting 2.6.23 to 2.6.23-mm1, I found that
> >>>> git-s390.patch is the one breaking my s390 boot :(
> >>>> (Frown bc it's a conglomeration of patches0
> >>>>
> >>>> Symptom is:
> >>>> 	"Cannot open root device "dasdd2" or unknown-block(94,14)"
> >>>> even though dasdd2 appeared to be found earlier in the boot.  I also
> >>>> get
> >>> Can you post the full console output from IPL to the unsuccessful end?
> >> Yeah, sorry, appended below.
> >>
> >> I had thought that the line
> >> 	sysctl table check failed: /sunrpc/transports .7249.14 Missing strategy
> >> meant that the fix referenced in http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/11/48
> >> would fix it, but it appeared to have no effect.
> > 
> > This is the vmlinux.lds.S problem. The cleanup patch from Sam Ravnborg
> > moved the __initramfs_start and __initramfs_end symbols into
> > the .init.ramfs section. This is in itself not a problem, but it
> > surfaced a bug: there is no *(.init.initramfs), that needs to be
> > *(init.ramfs). I corrected this in the upstream patch but 2.6.23-mm1 has
> > the older one that still causes the "Cannot open root device". For
> > 2.6.23-mm1 use the patch below.
> > 
> 
> thanks martin, 
> 
> that helped going a little further in the boot process but we then have 
> a network issue when bringing the network interface up :

please cc netdev on network issues.

> Bringing up interface eth0:  ------------› cut here ®------------ 
> Kernel BUG at 0000000000000002 ›verbose debug info unavailable® 
> illegal operation: 0001 ›#1® 
> Modules linked in: 
> CPU:    0    Not tainted 
> Process ip (pid: 1167, task: 0000000001d46038, ksp: 00000000025efb28) 
> Krnl PSW : 0704200180000000 0000000000000002 (0x2) 
>            R:0 T:1 IO:1 EX:1 Key:0 M:1 W:0 P:0 AS:0 CC:2 PM:0 EA:3 
> Krnl GPRS: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 000000000241f600 0000000001c8d
>            00000000000086dd 0000000001eb6d70 0000000000000000 0000000001c8d
>            0000000001eb6d40 00000000003abc28 0000000001eb6d00 00000000025ef
>            000000000241f600 00000000003b6d18 00000000002b33d2 00000000025ef
> Krnl Code:>0000000000000002: 0000               unknown 
>            0000000000000004: 0000               unknown 
>            0000000000000006: 0000               unknown 
>            0000000000000008: 0000               unknown 
>            000000000000000a: 0000               unknown 
>            000000000000000c: 0000               unknown 
>            000000000000000e: 0000               unknown 
>            0000000000000010: 0000               unknown 
> Call Trace: 
> (›<00000000002b3352>® neigh_connected_output+0x76/0x138) 
>  ›<0000000000325402>® ip6_output2+0x2da/0x470 
>  ›<0000000000326ea6>® ip6_output+0x816/0x1064 
>  ›<0000000000338e46>® __ndisc_send+0x416/0x6a8 
>  ›<0000000000339330>® ndisc_send_rs+0x58/0x68 
>  ›<000000000032cbf4>® addrconf_dad_completed+0xbc/0x100 
>  ›<000000000032d2de>® addrconf_dad_start+0xa2/0x14c 
>  ›<000000000032d408>® addrconf_add_linklocal+0x80/0xa8 
>  ›<000000000032fa7e>® addrconf_notify+0x2de/0x8d4 
>  ›<0000000000383990>® notifier_call_chain+0x5c/0x98 
>  ›<0000000000063bca>® __raw_notifier_call_chain+0x26/0x34 
>  ›<0000000000063c06>® raw_notifier_call_chain+0x2e/0x3c 
>  ›<00000000002aa54c>® call_netdevice_notifiers+0x34/0x44 
>  ›<00000000002ad1aa>® dev_open+0x9e/0xe0 
>  ›<00000000002ad80a>® dev_change_flags+0x9e/0x1cc 
>  ›<0000000000302c74>® devinet_ioctl+0x650/0x73c 
>  ›<00000000003050ba>® inet_ioctl+0xde/0xf4 
>  ›<000000000029a8d0>® sock_ioctl+0x1cc/0x2dc 
>  ›<00000000000cb844>® do_ioctl+0xb8/0xcc 
>  ›<00000000000cb8f2>® vfs_ioctl+0x9a/0x3ec 
>  ›<00000000000cbc96>® sys_ioctl+0x52/0x7c 
>  ›<0000000000022484>® sysc_noemu+0x10/0x16 
>  ›<000002000010df12>® 0x2000010df12 

that's a network issue ;)

> 00000000002b3352 gives : include/linux/netdevice.h:819
> 

I have a feeling that we fixed this.  But there's no BUG at 2.6.23-mm1's
include/linux/netdevice.h:819.  How about setting
CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE=y?



_______________________________________________
Containers mailing list
Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
Re: 2.6.23-mm1 s390 driver problem [message #22065 is a reply to message #22049] Fri, 19 October 2007 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cedric Le Goater is currently offline  Cedric Le Goater
Messages: 443
Registered: February 2006
Senior Member
Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 11:16 +0200, Cedric Le Goater wrote:
>>> This is the vmlinux.lds.S problem. The cleanup patch from Sam Ravnborg
>>> moved the __initramfs_start and __initramfs_end symbols into
>>> the .init.ramfs section. This is in itself not a problem, but it
>>> surfaced a bug: there is no *(.init.initramfs), that needs to be
>>> *(init.ramfs). I corrected this in the upstream patch but 2.6.23-mm1 has
>>> the older one that still causes the "Cannot open root device". For
>>> 2.6.23-mm1 use the patch below.
>>>
>> thanks martin, 
>>
>> that helped going a little further in the boot process but we then have 
>> a network issue when bringing the network interface up :
> 
> See http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=119270398931208&w=2

hmm, that doesn't fix the oops.

/me looking.

Thanks,

C.


_______________________________________________
Containers mailing list
Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
Re: 2.6.23-mm1 s390 driver problem [message #22069 is a reply to message #22051] Fri, 19 October 2007 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cedric Le Goater is currently offline  Cedric Le Goater
Messages: 443
Registered: February 2006
Senior Member
>> that helped going a little further in the boot process but we then have 
>> a network issue when bringing the network interface up :
> 
> please cc netdev on network issues.

yes.

>> Bringing up interface eth0:  ------------› cut here ®------------ 
>> Kernel BUG at 0000000000000002 ›verbose debug info unavailable® 
>> illegal operation: 0001 ›#1® 
>> Modules linked in: 
>> CPU:    0    Not tainted 
>> Process ip (pid: 1167, task: 0000000001d46038, ksp: 00000000025efb28) 
>> Krnl PSW : 0704200180000000 0000000000000002 (0x2) 
>>            R:0 T:1 IO:1 EX:1 Key:0 M:1 W:0 P:0 AS:0 CC:2 PM:0 EA:3 
>> Krnl GPRS: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 000000000241f600 0000000001c8d
>>            00000000000086dd 0000000001eb6d70 0000000000000000 0000000001c8d
>>            0000000001eb6d40 00000000003abc28 0000000001eb6d00 00000000025ef
>>            000000000241f600 00000000003b6d18 00000000002b33d2 00000000025ef
>> Krnl Code:>0000000000000002: 0000               unknown 
>>            0000000000000004: 0000               unknown 
>>            0000000000000006: 0000               unknown 
>>            0000000000000008: 0000               unknown 
>>            000000000000000a: 0000               unknown 
>>            000000000000000c: 0000               unknown 
>>            000000000000000e: 0000               unknown 
>>            0000000000000010: 0000               unknown 
>> Call Trace: 
>> (›<00000000002b3352>® neigh_connected_output+0x76/0x138) 
>>  ›<0000000000325402>® ip6_output2+0x2da/0x470 
>>  ›<0000000000326ea6>® ip6_output+0x816/0x1064 
>>  ›<0000000000338e46>® __ndisc_send+0x416/0x6a8 
>>  ›<0000000000339330>® ndisc_send_rs+0x58/0x68 
>>  ›<000000000032cbf4>® addrconf_dad_completed+0xbc/0x100 
>>  ›<000000000032d2de>® addrconf_dad_start+0xa2/0x14c 
>>  ›<000000000032d408>® addrconf_add_linklocal+0x80/0xa8 
>>  ›<000000000032fa7e>® addrconf_notify+0x2de/0x8d4 
>>  ›<0000000000383990>® notifier_call_chain+0x5c/0x98 
>>  ›<0000000000063bca>® __raw_notifier_call_chain+0x26/0x34 
>>  ›<0000000000063c06>® raw_notifier_call_chain+0x2e/0x3c 
>>  ›<00000000002aa54c>® call_netdevice_notifiers+0x34/0x44 
>>  ›<00000000002ad1aa>® dev_open+0x9e/0xe0 
>>  ›<00000000002ad80a>® dev_change_flags+0x9e/0x1cc 
>>  ›<0000000000302c74>® devinet_ioctl+0x650/0x73c 
>>  ›<00000000003050ba>® inet_ioctl+0xde/0xf4 
>>  ›<000000000029a8d0>® sock_ioctl+0x1cc/0x2dc 
>>  ›<00000000000cb844>® do_ioctl+0xb8/0xcc 
>>  ›<00000000000cb8f2>® vfs_ioctl+0x9a/0x3ec 
>>  ›<00000000000cbc96>® sys_ioctl+0x52/0x7c 
>>  ›<0000000000022484>® sysc_noemu+0x10/0x16 
>>  ›<000002000010df12>® 0x2000010df12 
> 
> that's a network issue ;)
> 
>> 00000000002b3352 gives : include/linux/netdevice.h:819
>>
> 
> I have a feeling that we fixed this.  But there's no BUG at 2.6.23-mm1's
> include/linux/netdevice.h:819.  

but dev->header_ops is bogus. right ?

> How about setting CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE=y?

it is set :(

C.
 

_______________________________________________
Containers mailing list
Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
Re: 2.6.23-mm1 s390 driver problem [message #22070 is a reply to message #22069] Fri, 19 October 2007 11:25 Go to previous message
Martin Schwidefsky is currently offline  Martin Schwidefsky
Messages: 5
Registered: January 2007
Junior Member
On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 13:17 +0200, Cedric Le Goater wrote:
> > please cc netdev on network issues.
> 
> yes.
> 
> >> Bringing up interface eth0:  ------------› cut here ®------------ 
> >> Kernel BUG at 0000000000000002 ›verbose debug info unavailable® 
> >> illegal operation: 0001 ›#1® 
> > 
> > that's a network issue ;)
> > 
> >> 00000000002b3352 gives : include/linux/netdevice.h:819
> >>
> > 
> > I have a feeling that we fixed this.  But there's no BUG at 2.6.23-mm1's
> > include/linux/netdevice.h:819.  
> 
> but dev->header_ops is bogus. right ?
> 
> > How about setting CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE=y?
> 
> it is set :(

This is definitly a problem with the header_ops in the qeth network
driver. I've asked our network team to take care of it. Stay tuned..

-- 
blue skies,
  Martin.

"Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin.


_______________________________________________
Containers mailing list
Containers@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/containers
Previous Topic: [PATCH 0/4] Fix race between sk_filter reassign and sk_clone()
Next Topic: [PATCH] [NETNS49] support for per/namespace routing cache cleanup
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Jul 18 02:44:06 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02623 seconds