OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » [Solved] Install OS as VPS user
[Solved] Install OS as VPS user [message #41705] Tue, 15 February 2011 12:30
schneida is currently offline  schneida
Hello!

I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to system virtualization with such advanced systems like OpenVZ. Nevertheless I'm now a proud owner of a virtual server which runs Ubuntu 8.04 on a Virtuozzo system. I would like to change from ubuntu to arch linux but the problem is, that it is not officially supported by my hoster. Even though their FAQ states, that it is allowed to install a different os, they offer no information on how to do so.

What I have got so far, is a arch linux installation in /arch which I can chroot into easily. Now I need to replace / with /arch which I thought should be possible from inside the repair system.

I have taken care of:
- installing openssh, starting it as a deamon and making it accessible from outside
- recompiling glibc which only supportes kernel >= 2.6.27 by default but the host runs kernel 2.6.18
- Network configuration: I did my best in copying the original values from the ubuntu configuration and adapting them for archlinux, though I'm not sure if they will work

Can you tell me, whether this is possible and what I have to take care of before doing so? I know, that Virtuozzo is not OpenVZ but as it is based I thought you could help me too!

Thank you very much in advance,

schneida

EDIT: Sorry for bothering you with that problem. After I found out, that Parallels Power Panel provides startup logs that showed, that I was missing /etc/init.d/network/interfaces and /etc/init.d/vzquota the machine booted up just fine. Adding manual ip configuration via ifconfig and route into /etc/rc.sysinit also solved the problem with network not working.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2011 15:52]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Previous Topic: Other VPN (PPTP/IPSec) support for OpenVZ?
Next Topic: OpenVZ in 10.04
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 15 08:30:34 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02686 seconds