OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Breaking Out of Openvz.
Breaking Out of Openvz. [message #33249] Thu, 02 October 2008 04:55 Go to previous message
hello-world is currently offline  hello-world
We have a couple of demo servers running inside openvz vps. The version is: 2.6.18-53.1.19.el5.028stab053.14

One of our demo servers was 'hacked'. As in, somebody got into the root of this demo vps. (which was not unexpected at all), but what happened next, i am trying to figure out.

Now, looking through this guy's .bash_history INSIDE the vps, i found that he created a large 150MB image file, and then ran losetup on it.

I searched for "openvz losetup vulnerability" and even "openvz losetup", but it didn't turn up anything. There were also some commands where he downloaded the code from ftp4.netbsd.us.netbsd.org and compiled some code. Again a search with the keywords didn't return anything.

I am attaching the 2 bash_histories with this: One is run in his home directory logged in as user joki.

And the other he ran as root:

Can someone look through the file and tell me if any of those actions he did can lead to him breaking out of openvz and into the main node on kernel 2.6.18-53.1.19.el5.028stab053.14.

I couldn't find anything suspicious on the node, but that's partly because, i am not 100% sure of what's the exact situation when a person breaks out of a vps.

So this is a generic question too: How do i determine if someone has broken out of his vps? Is there some logs or traces that such a person will leave?

Will he be executing the node's shell as root? i couldn't find any suspicious .bash_history anywhere on the node.

Thanks a lot for any help.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 October 2008 05:40]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Which OpenVZ Version Are You Using?
Next Topic: Container backup on remote host
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 18 12:22:35 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02550 seconds