OpenVZ Forum

Home » Mailing lists » Devel » Can OpenVZ provide complete isolation between VEs?
Can OpenVZ provide complete isolation between VEs? [message #30733] Thu, 05 June 2008 08:28
duyuyang is currently offline  duyuyang
Hi, developers,

I come from the academia, I am really interested in the concept of OS level virtualization.

I read a published paper, i.e., "Formal Requirements for virtualizable Third Generation Architectures"  by Popek and Goldberg in 1974, which is a fundamental piece of work in the virtualization area.

In short, this paper concluded a theorem: a virtual machine monitor may be constructed if the set of sensitive instructions for that computer is a subset of the set of privileged instructions.

I am thinking whether the OpenVZ kernel is virtualizable, at least comforming to one of the three properties of VMM, i.e., control of resource. 

Currently I don't know how OpenVZ is implemented, which I am working on, I need the help to answer if OpenVZ is theoretically and practically able to control the resources allocated to a VE, and HOW sensitive instructions are intercepted? Anyone???  

2008-06-05 

¶ΕΣκΡτ

Read Message
Previous Topic: openvz: pull request
Next Topic: [PATCH] cgroup: anotate two variables with __read_mostly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 13 10:21:41 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05092 seconds