OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » VPS Broadcast and Gateway IP
VPS Broadcast and Gateway IP [message #26058] Tue, 15 January 2008 04:23 Go to previous message
jones is currently offline  jones
I created a VPS and assigned it an IP from a range of IPs my datacenter gave me, however the VPS was not reachable from the outside world (only HN -> VPS and vice versa). So I made sure that IP forwarding was enabled, because i'm running apf and I know that can cause problems. Everything looked fine, except that I couldn't reach the IP still.

So I looked at the server details again and my main server's IP has a broadcast and Gateway IP different than the pack of additional IPs. I wasn't sure if that was what was causing problems, but I decided to try something.

I added the VPS's IP as another network interface on the host node: eth0:0 and gave it the broadcast IP that my datacenter assigned to the IP range (not the one assigned to the server). The IP would then ping, so I deleted that interface, and the IP still pings now and connects to the VPS correctly.

so my questions:

Is there something I have to do differently because of the IP pack being on a separate broadcast address? Gateway address?

Is this IP just temporarily resolving and will become unreachable if I reboot the server or network or should it be ok?

thanks

[Updated on: Tue, 15 January 2008 04:26]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: VE: XXX: failed to start with err=-11
Next Topic: mbps bandwidth monitoring per vps?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 22:13:44 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03422 seconds