OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » /dev/pty always gone
Re: /dev/pty always gone [message #26217 is a reply to message #26193] Thu, 17 January 2008 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi,

As far as I understand the matter is in the following:

When your VPS booting, one of the init scripts inside VE calls /sbin/start_udev which mounts /dev directory on tmpfs
mount -n -o mode=0755 -t tmpfs none "$udev_root"

So the directory /vz/private/<VE_ID>/dev and /vz/root/<VE_ID>/dev becomes different.
Then start_udev creates additional nodes.
When you create necessary devices like ptmx or ptyp0 (with MAKEDEV) they of course appear in /dev but start_udev mounts /dev on tmpfs so on reboot we lost this files.

P.S. In your case I suppose that after update udev package was installed and it becomes the reason of the problem.
P.S.S. You can conduct such experiment. After your VPS was started enter it. We already see that "mount" command shows such strings
Quote:

# mount
simfs on / type simfs (rw)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)

Let's try to umount /dev/
umount -l /dev
. Then I suppose in /dev we can observe the same like in /vz/private/<VE_ID>/dev/. Then we can try to go out from VE and enter it again. If you create something in /dev it will be persistent and you can find it after reboot and after umount /dev.

By the way you have mentioned that sometimes ptmx sometimes ptyp0 were failed. What does it mean? Sometimes ptmx was in /dev sometimes there was not such file in /dev?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message