OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Advice needed on migration of Phys to VE
Advice needed on migration of Phys to VE [message #25661] Sun, 06 January 2008 14:14 Go to previous message
yettyn is currently offline  yettyn
Hi,

I have a small private (physical) server online which I want to turn into a Virtualized one using openVZ. I have spent the last 2-3 days reading various resources about virtualisation in general and openVZ specifically, in preparation of the migrate and think I have understood most parts of it. But it's a lot of info to digest and I am not really sure how to put all pieces together for my specific situation, so I would be grateful for some advice/suggestions from someone with experience.

What I have is a box with a Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66Mhz) and 2GB RAM, and a 160GB SATA HDD. The box has 4 pub IP's on 1 interface (aliased eth0:0, eth0:1 etc.) hosting about 10 domains (using apache-2.2.6, proftpd, mySql5, PHP5 mainly), runs its own BIND dns and Shorewall Firewall 4.0.7 also installed.

My OS of choice is Gentoo and I have successfully been able to create an overlay ebuild of openVZ-2.6.22-ovz005.1 replacing my current Gentoo-Sources-2.6.22 kernel (Yes I know it's an unstable kernel but due to kernel changes between 2.6.18 and 2.6.22 I decided to go for the one comparative to what I had. So far I have seen no real problems, I have noticed in dmesg though the line 'VZDQ: sys/fs/quota creation failed' but it doesn't troubles me too much right now.). I have also successfully created a VE from a Gentoo template, but hasn't taken it further as I am unsure of next steps migrating IP's etc.

What I want to do is to split this box into 3 or possibly 4 VE's, both for better utilization of resources but also for securrity reasons. So I would like to run apache, php5 etc. in one VE, DNS and other "base" services in one, Postfix, amavisd etc. in one VE. Then is the question, with only 4 IP's available I guess I have to reserve 1 for HN leaving me with 3 for VE's?

If possible I would also like to run mysql in its own VE, but w/o access to more public IP's I guess I would need another nic (eth1) and go ahead with a layout including private IP's, NAT etc. I consider it wise though to wait with such a step and get the above layout working first.

I want to strip down services on HN to a bare minimum for administration of the VE's, but before that I need (at least most of) the data and services migrated. The box is co-located and although I have physically access to it office hours I usually manage it with ssh and webmin. If possible (which I think it is), I would also like to carry out the migration over ssh. Slight downtime of services etc. are not a problem.

I have read the wiki on migration from P2VE and although it have some usefull info I don't think it apply fully to me as I don't want to move the whole box into a VE but split it into 3-4 VE's and create them from fresh templates, install needed packages fresh etc.

Ok, maybe I have forgot something relevant but can't come to think about it now - insuch case just ask Wink. My first step I think would be to move all web stuff into a first VE or?

tia,

Joakim

Kernel 2.6.32-125.3
vzctl 4.9.4
Gentoo Linux x64

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Kernel module?