OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » WORKAROUND - Does AutoFS work in OpenVZ yet?
Re: Does AutoFS work in OpenVZ yet? [message #22091 is a reply to message #22031] Fri, 19 October 2007 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dranch is currently offline  dranch

So I spoke too soon about AMD being a viable workaround.

Though amd does seem to work for one VE (VE#100) compared to autofs, the other two VEs either show nothing in the user's home directory or get I/O errors:

SSHing into VE100:
--
Last login: Fri Oct 19 12:39:00 2007 from 10.150.52.4

dolly-centos5-A:~$

[ Everything is ok, I can see my files and mount shows my homedir being mounted:

nfs on /.automount/uranus2/vol/homes/homes2/dranch type nfs (rw,nosuid,vers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr,proto=tcp, timeo=600,retrans=3,sec=sys,addr=uranus2)

--

-------------------------------

SSHing into VE101:
--

Last login: Fri Oct 19 12:32:23 2007 from 10.150.52.4
-bash-3.1$ ls

[ Nothing. No files but also no errors. I'm supposedly in /homes/dranch but there is nothing there when I du a "ls", "du", etc. I can supposedly goto other user directories with the same behavior. Running mount does NOT show my homedir as being mounted. ]

-------------------------------

SSHing into VE102:
--
Last login: Fri Oct 19 12:41:22 2007 from 10.150.52.4
Could not chdir to home directory /homes/dranch: No such file or directory

[ This is even worse. I'm dropped to /. Mount doesn't show my homedir as being mounted. Nothing in the logs. No change if I restart amd. If I shutdown this VE, I see
--
Oct 19 12:38:57 dolly-centos5-A sshd[26588]: pam_loginuid(sshd:session): set_loginuid failed opening loginuid
--

---------------------------

Experimenting a bit, I logged out of the working VE#100 and tried to umount the /homes/dranch directory via the VZ console. This worked a few times but then later usually failed:

# umount /.automount/uranus2/vol/homes/homes2/dranch/
umount.nfs: nfs: not found / mounted or server not reachable

At this point, I would see this error upon shutdown of the VE#100:

RPC: failed to contact portmap (errno -5).

With VE#100 shutdown, I would then try to log into VE#101 to only see I/O errors and mount wouldn't show my homedir being mounted
--
Could not chdir to home directory /homes/dranch: Input/output error
-bash: /homes/dranch/.bash_profile: Input/output error
--

So I now shut down ALL VEs (100, 101, and 102). I then only restart VE#102 which was the worst off from the above examples. VE#102 now works fine.

So I start VE#101 to only get the empty directory stuff but no errors. Finally, I start VE#102 to only see the "/homes/dranch: No such file or directory" errors. It seems the behavior of the VE depends on the order it's started. Not good.

So.. there you have it. AMD does do a bit more compared to AutoFS but overall, things are still broken beyond one VE.

Other misc notes:

I've also noticed that when I shut down VEs, I always see this
in the physical machine's /var/log/messages. Maybe another hint:
--
Oct 19 12:44:12 dolly-centos5-openvz kernel: neigh_parms_release: not found
--

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message