OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » WORKAROUND - Does AutoFS work in OpenVZ yet?
Re: Does AutoFS work in OpenVZ yet? [message #21908 is a reply to message #21652] Wed, 17 October 2007 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
When that original post was written, NFS mounts inside of a VPS wasn't working so well. Now that seems to be working fairly well... at least it is for me... on CentOS 5 host node and CentOS 5 based VPSes.

For specifics on how to make this work, see:

http://wiki.openvz.org/NFS

If you haven't gone through that, it ain't going to work.

So far as autofs goes, if it doesn't have to load a kernel module to work and it doesn't use kernel threads (and it doesn't in both of those cases I believe), it has the potential to work. OpenVZ is mostly for server virtualization and I have to wonder why not use persistant NFS mounts rather than autofs dynamic ones? I use autofs for NFS mounts for (non-virtualized) student lab machines and for some workstations but for servers, why use autofs? Perhaps you have a good reason?

NIS should work fine.

I've have problems getting NFS working inside of a VPS on CentOS 4 based systems... so I'm not sure that is working... but in any event if you can't get it to work from the VPS, the alternative is to get it working on the host node and then bind mount it into the VPS space.

Perhaps the reason there hasn't been a lot of discussion on this topic here in the forum is because of the existence of the wiki page?!?

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message