OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* New Install - Looking for some advice
icon5.gif  *SOLVED* New Install - Looking for some advice [message #14160] Sat, 16 June 2007 03:40 Go to previous message
ronpoz is currently offline  ronpoz
Greetings All,

I have been tinkering a bit with openvz and now I am to the point where I want to redo my whole server around it....perhaps.

I am managing a dedicated P3 3.0 Ghz / 1GB RAM / 2 x 80GB SATA server running Debian stable (etch)

I am running basically a LAMP install for approx 10 websites that get under 500 hits a day. I am also running Postfix and Courier-IMAP for email for about 15 people, no more than 500 emails per day.

The main reason why I wanted to roll OpenVZ was so that I could have an instance of Zimbra running. Zimbra is an opensource collaboration server that provides email, calendaring, etc... The issue I had is that Zimbra pretty much takes over your server installing tomcat/postfix/apache/mysql/openldap and more.

Rather than me get a new dedicated server, I wanted to slice it up since I am under utilizing the server.

HERE IS MY QUESTION!

I have two options as I see it:

1. Keep all my existing stuff running as-is and add 1 virtual server running Ubuntu to accomodate the Zimbra install
2. Wipe my current server and install CentOS and then add:
a. VS1 - running debian etch for my websites
b. VS2 - running Ubuntu to run Zimbra

So I am trying to see if it provides better performance to either run openvz with 1 VS for Zimbra or to slice it up and run two, thus removing any website serving off the host OS.

Thoughts? Many thanks for your assistance!!

Ron

[Updated on: Thu, 21 June 2007 09:13] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Read Message icon5.gif
Read Message
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* Disk quota error
Next Topic: *SOLVED* Can't create /dev/tty9
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 14 08:37:33 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02973 seconds