OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » CentOS 7.x and OpenVZ (Does it work correctly?)
CentOS 7.x and OpenVZ [message #52486] Mon, 01 August 2016 07:01 Go to previous message
krazybob is currently offline  krazybob
My dedicated server company took 2 weeks to get OpenVZ installed. But thereafter using the 64-bit of everything the server would fail. The indication was the virtual servers (containers) would become inaccessible. Only a hard reboot of the server would restore functionality.

Was this an issue with EXT4 or other issues? I have left Atjeu/Deer Valley Data after the new company took over and made matters worse. I need to know how to tell my new server company to install CentOS 7.x with OpenVZ on top of it. Is there a WiKi page on this specific issue or something helpful?

This is what I have:

This is a short guide to get OpenVZ configured on CentOS 7.

During the install of CentOS 7, be sure to make all file systems apart from swap ext4. OpenVZ is not compatible with the xfs file system. Once you've installed CentOS 7 do not update or do anything except immediately install these packages:

yum localinstall http://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/releases/7.0/x86_64/os/ Packages/v/virtuozzo-release-7.0.0-10.vz7.x86_64.rpm

then install:

yum install -y prlctl prl-disp-service vzkernel

Now reboot and afterwards run uname -r to make sure you're booted to the vz kernel.

Run:
systemctl status vz // to make sure the vz service is running.

You must download templates via yum in order to make containers. To see what templates you already have run
rpm -qa | grep '-ez' // you need to reinstall any that are already there with yum reinstall, otherwise they may not work.

To see which ones you can download run
yum search centos // and look for anything with "ez" on the end.

The last thing before you make a container is making the cache with whatever templates you have. Simply run:
vzpkg create cache centos-7-x86_64

Now you can create a container with that template cache. When you try to create a container leave out everything after the 64, so:

vzctl create 101 --ostemplate centos-7-x86_64

Have I missed anything????

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How can I stop both vz/private and vz/root from both taking space?
Next Topic: issues with ulogd2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 26 23:25:14 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04093 seconds