OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » easy RAM allocation
easy RAM allocation [message #47365] Fri, 03 August 2012 08:49 Go to previous message
votsalo is currently offline  votsalo
I've been using openvz with Proxmox for several months now but I still don't know how to increase the RAM of a container using only command-line tools (preferrably openvz tools). When I had to increase the memory from the command line, I resorted to making a template of the container, destroying the old container and then relaunching it from its template with new memory parameters using pvectl create -memory.

The wiki points out to the Setting_UBC_parameters page, but I find it too complicated. Why do I need to know about kmemsize, privvmpages, physpages, vmgarpages, oomgarpages? That's at least 5 parameters and each one has barrier and limit. When I want to install more RAM in a standalone linux system I just shut it down, plug in a RAM module and start it up again. That's it. The OS simply detects how much RAM is available on the machine and just uses it. I never had to specify any parameters. Why can't it be as simple as this with openvz? Proxmox does it through the UI, but I don't always have the UI available. On my production machine I've disabled the root password and therefore the UI, so I do everything from the command line.

There must be a good reason why these parameters are there, but could there be a vzctl set option that takes just a desired ram size and sets reasonable ubc parameters from it?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: [issue] VPS : Cannot allocate memory
Next Topic: detailed guide for custom template
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 07 08:21:54 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05124 seconds