OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Plesk 8.0.1 in a VPS or not?
Plesk 8.0.1 in a VPS or not? [message #5806] Thu, 31 August 2006 06:02
jarcher is currently offline  jarcher
Hi All...

I am new to both Plesk and OpenVZ. I have been looking at Plesk and Virtuozzo. We have a bunch of Debian servers and, to be frank, none of our technical people, including me, want to take the learning curve hit to learn to maintain a Red Hat or CentOS box. We just feel that we're better off if all the servers are on the same distro, especially since we have experience with Debian.

That said, I have decided not to go with Virtuozzo, since during the online demo I was told that it requires RH, Fedora or CentOS. However, I am probably going to go forward with Plesk.

Then, I discovered OpenVZ! Over the past few days I have been playing with Plesk and OpenVZ and this stuff is really, really cool!

Sorry for the rambling. Here is my question. The server we want to use for our hosting, for now, has 2 1.3GHz processors, .5TB RAID and 3GB RAM (although adding RAM is easy, banks available for up to 6GB RAM). What I am wondering is if Plesk can coexist on this server with OpenVZ but not running inside OpenVZ. I am thinking that it might be better to be able to migrate the OpenVZ and VPSs to another machine as the conventional hosting demands increase.

If it will coexist, can I upgrade and manage Plesk without issues?

Alternatively, I see on the forum I could install Plesk inside a VPS under OpenVZ on Debian. What are the various advantages and disadvantages of this? Is OpenVZ stable enough for this kind of production use?

**Thanks very much.** I would appreciate any comments and suggestions people care to offer.

Read Message
Previous Topic: CentOS 4.4: host and VPS upgrade [no problems]
Next Topic: *SOLVED* multiple filesystems in one VE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 11 10:22:14 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02986 seconds