OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » I am thinking of moving to LXD
I am thinking of moving to LXD [message #52531] Wed, 17 August 2016 19:13 Go to previous message
votsalo is currently offline  votsalo
I am thinking of moving my dedicated server to LXD (a variant of LXC). One reason is that I can run LXD on several different environments where I can run Ubuntu:
* On a dedicated server.
* On an Amazon EC2 instance.
* On my home machine, running Ubuntu desktop.
* On a cheap Ubuntu 16.04 Openstack KVM VPS.

I find the VPS option very usuful, however tricky because of the tight disk space. I can have a few containers on my VPS. I can move containers between the VPS and another LXD server. I can run a container OS that I need on my VPS that is not offered as a choice by my VPS provider, but is available as an LXD template. And perhaps I can replace the dedicated server with a few cheaper VPSs.

I have tried doing all these with OpenVZ in the past. I couldn't get it to run anywhere, except on the dedicated server or on a dedicated home machine (or dual boot). Now it seems that I cannot run OpenVZ 7.0.0 on any of the above infrastructure.

I have installed OpenVZ 7.0.0 on my home machine, as a dual boot, but I'm not using it, since I use my desktop OS and I cannot use both at the same time. In the past I tried installing OpenVZ on several desktop distributions, but I couldn't find one that worked. It seemed to work on Linux Mint 17, but when I ran a Java IDE, it crashed.

There are other pros and cons to using LXD vs OpenVZ, but the versatility of installation seems to be the deciding factor for me. LXD is Ubiquitous, if you are willing to run Ubuntu (which I am).

If I could easily move containers between OpenVZ and LXD, I could use both. Here's some food for thought for an OpenVZ feature: compatibility with LXD and perhaps with other container technologies. Create an LXD template from an OpenVZ container. Or an OpenVZ container from an LXD template. Why not?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: CentOS 8
Next Topic: How to clear cache memory on openvz container ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 12:26:39 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01333 seconds