OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Samba cifs client in VE's
icon9.gif  Samba cifs client in VE's [message #26828] Sat, 02 February 2008 05:09 Go to previous message
kierse is currently offline  kierse
Hi everyone,

My Hardware Node and all VE's are running Gentoo. I'm attempting to share the HN's portage directory among the running VE's in a safe and secure manner. Here's the plan:

1. HN will not have access to internet (restricted by firewall).
2. I'd like to expose the HN's portage directory to the running VE's using Samba.
3. There would be two access levels, read only and write access. The plan is to have one VE (having write access) which would be run periodically in order to update portage. The remaining VE's would all have read only access.

Unfortunately, neither smbfs nor cifs ever appear in the VE's list of supported filesystems (/proc/filesystems) and therefore I haven't been able to mount them. I've searched the net and the OpenVZ forums but haven't come up with anything of use. Several posts indicate that SMB is not supported yet the OpenVZ documentation seems to indicate otherwise (http://wiki.openvz.org/Differences_between_venet_and_veth).

Is running a Samaba client inside a VE possible? Am I missing something here?

Note: I'm running OpenVZ kernel version 2.6.18.028.051
Note: Both smbfs and cifs were build as kernel modules on the HN. Both were loaded before the VE's were started.

Thanks in advance,
Kierse

Read Message icon9.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: nscd on VE
Next Topic: Hardwares stop in Create VM (image from other hardware)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 21 11:09:20 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01505 seconds