OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Is it the same product between OpenVZ 7, and Virtuozzo Linux 7?
Is it the same product between OpenVZ 7, and Virtuozzo Linux 7? [message #53059] Thu, 28 December 2017 11:55 Go to next message
ccto is currently offline  ccto
Hello all,

May I clarify my understanding correct ?

Q1) OpenVZ 7 = Virtuozzo Linux 7. They are same product, share the same EOL date (July 2023), am I right?

Q2) "Virtuozzo 7" is a commercial product, based on "Virtuozzo Linux 7". and "Virtuozzo 7" is the enhancement on top of "Virtuozzo Linux 7" ?

Q3) It seems ReadyKernel no longer available for open source "Virtuozzo Linux 7". There seems no other alternative kpatch kernel solutions available for "Virtuozzo Linux 7" at the market yet.

(I am sorry as I am quite confusing about the similar naming)

Thank you very much for your kind attention.

Regards
George

[Updated on: Thu, 28 December 2017 11:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is it the same product between OpenVZ 7, and Virtuozzo Linux 7? [message #53060 is a reply to message #53059] Fri, 29 December 2017 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vaverin is currently offline  vaverin
ccto wrote on Thu, 28 December 2017 14:55

Q1) OpenVZ 7 = Virtuozzo Linux 7. They are same product, share the same EOL date (July 2023), am I right?

yes

Quote:

Q2) "Virtuozzo 7" is a commercial product, based on "Virtuozzo Linux 7". and "Virtuozzo 7" is the enhancement on top of "Virtuozzo Linux 7" ?

Vz7 is is commercial product based on OpenVz7,
it have support, ReadyKernel and some other enhancements.

Quote:

Q3) It seems ReadyKernel no longer available for open source "Virtuozzo Linux 7". There seems no other alternative kpatch kernel solutions available for "Virtuozzo Linux 7" at the market yet.

ReadyKernel is available for Vz7 only,
as far as we know there are no alternative solutions for our kernel,

I would like to pay your attention:
we use ReadyKernel not only for widely known security bugfixes,
we use it to release fixes for customers issues.
These patches are based on feedback of our customers
and generated internally as result of work of our support and maintenance teams.

I doubt that any alternative live-patching vendors can provide something similar,
in best case they will just follow us.
So I do not think OpenVz7 kernel will be supported by any other live-patching vendors.
Re: Is it the same product between OpenVZ 7, and Virtuozzo Linux 7? [message #53062 is a reply to message #53059] Fri, 29 December 2017 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
caw0KecCu is currently offline  caw0KecCu
The OpenVZ7 and the Vz7 are NOT the same product. One is open source, the other one is comes with an aggressive licensing agreement.

Take a look at this thread: https://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=tree&th=13409&s tart=0

Did you carefully read the EULA? Are you sure?

http://repo.virtuozzo.com/vzlinux/7.2/EULA
http://repo.virtuozzo.com/vzlinux/7.3/EULA
http://repo.virtuozzo.com/vzlinux/7.4/EULA

Especilly this part:

"2.6. Audit Rights. During the term of this Agreement and for two (2)
years after termination or expiration of this Agreement, Virtuozzo may
audit, upon written notice to you, your books, records, and computing
devices to determine your compliance with this Agreement and your
payment of the applicable license fees, if any, for the Software. In
the event that any such audit reveals an underpayment by you of more
than five percent (5%) of the license fees due to Virtuozzo in the
period being audited, or that you have breached any term of this
Agreement, then, in addition to any other rights and remedies
Virtuozzo may have, you will promptly pay to Virtuozzo any
underpayments plus the cost of the audit."
icon13.gif  Re: Is it the same product between OpenVZ 7, and Virtuozzo Linux 7? [message #53064 is a reply to message #53062] Fri, 29 December 2017 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goeldi
This is a big mess, and for me it is not clear at all.

If those EULA are for Virtuozzo only, so why are they placed in a subdirectory of the vzlinux repo?

To install openvz, I have to download an ISO file of vzlinux and install vzlinux with openvz.

For me there are 3 products, which you mix in your statements:

Virtuozzo - commercial
OpenVZ - open source and free
vzLinux - ???

If vzLinux is open source and/or free, why is the Virtuozzo EULA which you linked to, placed in a subdirectory of the vzLinux repo?
Re: Is it the same product between OpenVZ 7, and Virtuozzo Linux 7? [message #53065 is a reply to message #53064] Sat, 30 December 2017 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ccto is currently offline  ccto
How do we have an official answer.
Is it free, in terms of cost/price, to use Virtuozzo Linux 7?

I only found "free trial" enquiry form inside official site.
Re: Is it the same product between OpenVZ 7, and Virtuozzo Linux 7? [message #53066 is a reply to message #53065] Sun, 31 December 2017 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vaverin is currently offline  vaverin
Dear George,

Virtuozzo linux 7 is public available RHEL7-based distribution.
OpenVz 7 adds some additional open-source packages produced by Virtuozzo for container virtualization, our version of KVM packages and userspace tools for its maintenance.

You can use these packages for free, OpenVz7 installer does not request any licenses.

Virtuozzo 7 have own installer, it uses the same public available repositories, but have lightly different default set of installed packages. It requests license key, however if I remember correctly you can skip it and continue installation without license.

And if you wish you can use Virtuozzo 7 without any licenses too.

Virtuozzo 7 license gives you:
support,
ReadyKernel live patches,
and some other enhancements (frankly speaking I do not know the details).

If you need to get some more official answer please contact Virtuozzo sales.

Thank you,
Vasily Averin
Re: Is it the same product between OpenVZ 7, and Virtuozzo Linux 7? [message #53079 is a reply to message #53066] Fri, 05 January 2018 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
caw0KecCu is currently offline  caw0KecCu
It seems that OpenVZ7 is dead as open source and free software. The OpenVZ7 packages that are available are outdated, based on the old RHEL7.0 packages (and probably will remain there forever), while the Virtuozzo7 based on the RHEL7.4 packages.

Do NOT use any commercial software with EULA without consulting your lawyer. You cannot use the Virtuozzo7 without accepting the EULA, even if you not request a license. So even if you want to use the open source & free part, you will bound by the EULA, your company still can be audited by Virtuozzo, your company responsible for any damage, etc.

Do you really think that if somebody want to use use open source and free software will accept this EULA? They can get support (community support for free but with limited quality, and paid with unlimited quality) using other products without any kind of EULA minefield.

http://repo.virtuozzo.com/vzlinux/7.4/EULA

"Make OpenVZ great again!"

Re: Is it the same product between OpenVZ 7, and Virtuozzo Linux 7? [message #53080 is a reply to message #53079] Sat, 06 January 2018 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snajpa is currently offline  snajpa
OpenVZ is a dead project. You guys haven't noticed? It became a commercial scam based on opensource development of the upstream community. And based on what people who started OpenVZ project have pioneered (and eventually in some form got upstream/helped shape it). OpenVZ 7 is intentionally unsupported scam to trick you for paying for Virtuozzo 7 once you've deployed it. There's no OpenVZ anymore, guys, get that through your heads.

We at vpsFree.cz are actively working on a replacement based on NixOS, LXC and custom LXD replacement - because that one isn't what OpenVZ was neither, I don't agree with principal LXD developer on a lot of important details.

We are a non-profit community-based provider. We have to run community-based solutions.

Here is my patched kernel for OpenVZ 6:

http://repo.vpsfree.cz/testing/vzkernel/vzkernel-2.6.32-042s tab126.666.src.rpm

And here is vpsAdminOS, our OpenVZ replacement in the making:

https://github.com/vpsfreecz/vpsadminos
Re: Is it the same product between OpenVZ 7, and Virtuozzo Linux 7? [message #53119 is a reply to message #53079] Fri, 12 January 2018 08:33 Go to previous message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
> The OpenVZ7 packages that are available are outdated, based on the old RHEL7.0 packages (and probably will remain there forever), while the Virtuozzo7 based on the RHEL7.4 packages.

https://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/releases/

Just use OpenVZ builds and you won't have to deal with EULA.
i believe EULA is developed by lawyers to prevent people from installing 1000 nodes with Virtuozzo and paying for a single license, for example (you know, any license code can be cheated).

Honestly i don't understand being so toxic...
We do not force anybody to use any product. If you find or develop better solution - that's great, why not?

We do work for money, sorry for that. And we are quite small comparing to RedHat/Google, etc and sorry, nobody pays for free of charge products.
That's why our top priority product is Virtuozzo - yes, payed version. Now it's Virtuozzo 7.

At the same time we do release OpenVZ builds - they are built exactly from same sources as Virtuozzo builds, thus in particular they cannot have a different base like RHEL7.0 and RHEL7.4 as it's written above.

Yes, Virtuozzo 7 has advantages on features - ReadyKernel (very-very cool, we provide a lot of fixes via it, not only security), pfcache, Virtuozzo Storage, backups.

On the other hand OpenVZ 7 uses get testing from our company for free, and believe me, that's important.
You want fast untested updates? No problem, use https://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/factory/

Otherwise we prepare an update, test it in Virtuozzo product and release the update - both for Virtuozzo and OpenVZ.

And have a nice day. Smile

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Previous Topic: Issue with 2.6.32-042stab127.2
Next Topic: VZ7 DCACHESIZE parameter is deprecated
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:02:44 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02489 seconds