OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » OpenVZ is better than Xen
OpenVZ is better than Xen [message #3119] Sat, 13 May 2006 01:00 Go to next message
John Kelly is currently offline  John Kelly
For my needs, OpenVZ is better than Xen. The one-kernel approach conserves memory, leaving more for applications. And having all VPS in one disk partition saves disk space.

A surprise bonus was the template cache management with yum. The ease of keeping templates updated and quickly installing new operating environments is yummy!

I never had much interest in Fedora, but I'm converted now. I'll use Fedora just to have OpenVZ.

I wish the developers much success getting their kernel patches into Linus tree.

Re: OpenVZ is better than Xen [message #3122 is a reply to message #3119] Sat, 13 May 2006 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RapidVPS is currently offline  RapidVPS
Hi John, I agree with you very much. I would say for enterprise use where cost/efficiency is not a factor, Xen has an edge over VZ. However for a service provider or other situation where CPU/RAM/DISK resources are shared among environments to ensure profitability/efficiency, openvz is far superior. Also, VZ is much simpler to use, and all of the command line utilities are well documented.

Rick

[Updated on: Sat, 13 May 2006 05:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OpenVZ is better than Xen [message #3140 is a reply to message #3122] Sun, 14 May 2006 22:51 Go to previous message
John Kelly is currently offline  John Kelly
Xen is nice if you need multiple kernels, or maybe Linux and NetBSD on one box. But I only need multiple secure operating environments, not multiple kernels. I don't have unlimited memory and disk, so I need to conserve my resources as much as possible.

Previous Topic: Wrong announcement on the homepage
Next Topic: When was OpenVZ's birthday?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 03:12:57 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02080 seconds