OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » The lack of OpenVZ tools,does not make it bad software (Software Tools)
The lack of OpenVZ tools,does not make it bad software [message #39350] Thu, 08 April 2010 05:22 Go to next message
max.havoc is currently offline  max.havoc
As a "new" member to the OpenVZ forum,the one subject that sticks out,is the lack of software tools.(i.e Web interfaces to terminal scripts)
This subject personally,never became came an issue,in not trying out OpenVZ.
I am an old school UNIX admin,and creating tools was just part of the game.
Now,users expect others to create the "holy grail" tools for OpenVZ administration,without an effort on their part,and complain.
Although,we all have our own software development experience levels,simple BASH shell scripting,can go a long way in solving your tool "crisis".
Give credit to those who put forth the effort,in making OpenVZ
administration a little easier.
Suggestions are always welcome to a potential developer.
Negativity.....keep it to yourself.
Re: The lack of OpenVZ tools,does not make it bad software [message #39438 is a reply to message #39350] Fri, 23 April 2010 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
devonblzx is currently offline  devonblzx
I think vzctl comes with plenty of great functions to control virtual servers along with many other neat tools added to the wiki such as vzmigrate, vzdump, etc. What is missing? Everything else can be done inside the VPS and is based on linux tools.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-user-2.png
ByteOnSite President
Re: The lack of OpenVZ tools,does not make it bad software [message #39569 is a reply to message #39438] Wed, 12 May 2010 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
max.havoc is currently offline  max.havoc
If you read the threads in the forum,you will see every kind of
web based tool coming down the road.
When I started using OpenVZ,it was command-line driven.
It still is.
But that did not stop me from making my own tools.
I started out creating s a menu script,that builds a complete VPS,networked,and ready to go.
I can build REDHAT and DEBIAN containers,from this script.
My point is exactly the topic of this thread.
Just because the software doe not toast bread,does not mean it can't be used.
Do something to make it better for you.

Cheers
Re: The lack of OpenVZ tools,does not make it bad software [message #41223 is a reply to message #39350] Wed, 15 December 2010 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lars.bailey is currently offline  lars.bailey
You illustrate a good point.
The lack of tools isn't an issue to some,as OVZ is not the only
virtualization software,that defaults to terminal administration.
But as individuals and users of OpenVZ,we all have specific needs
in how we administer our containers.
Command-line is no big deal to me.(and I use this remark loosely)
Finding some GUI to our liking,by any public offering,may still lack in specific features we need.
But to find one that does what we want,would probably be the one you wrote yourself.
To illlustrate a point,I'm alpha testing a in-house web-interface,that was based on a terminal menu-system I wrote three years ago.
It was written mostly in PERL,which made porting easier.
Once testing is done on the web-interface,the terminal menu-system will be re-written in Linux scripting,and released
under the GPL.
The re-write itself,will not effect the functionality of the menu-system,or it's features.(you get exactly how we used it with OpenVZ,and may require additional software to use all its features)
I wanted to make the menu-system easier for an individual to
add/edit/modify.
At a later time,I will post screen shots of the menu-system in a thread,and if anyone is interested in it,I will make the file available.
This method may be deemed by some,as retro,or "old school".
But as the old saying goes....

"Don't criticize the cook,until the cuisine is done."
But you would be surprised,what you can do from a terminal shell.

Re: The lack of OpenVZ tools,does not make it bad software [message #42893 is a reply to message #39350] Wed, 15 June 2011 04:51 Go to previous message
imatwb is currently offline  imatwb
I've had difficulty setting up openvz on different systems using the commandline. It'd be nice to have an auto installer that would install all the tools along with openvz at once so you don't have to manually dig for the right versions and dependencies every time.
Previous Topic: OpenVZ on Amazon EC2
Next Topic: Step by step guide to installing on ubuntu 10.04
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 02:26:22 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01946 seconds