OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Assigning an IP address to venet0 on the HN (Making full use of venet0)
icon5.gif  Assigning an IP address to venet0 on the HN [message #37012] Tue, 11 August 2009 16:40 Go to next message
Master One is currently offline  Master One
Is there any downside of assigning an IP address to venet0 on the hostnode?

I am sticking with venet instead of veth. The vz initscript (/etc/init.d/vz) does not assign an IP address to venet0 ("ip addr add 0.0.0.0/0 dev $VZDEV"), and that's the reason, why I can not use dnsmasq as dnscache running on the hostnode for the OpenVZ containers (since that requires an IP address to be used for assigning the nameserver).

So I changed that line in /etc/init.d/vz to "ip addr add 192.168.3.1 dev $VZDEV", all the containers are in the 192.168.3.0/24 network, and that way everything seems to work as supposed to.

I just want to be sure, that that modification does not cause any problems (function- and security-wise).
Re: Assigning an IP address to venet0 on the HN [message #37028 is a reply to message #37012] Thu, 13 August 2009 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Ip address on venet0 is not a problem but why don't you use physical interface on the HN for these purposes?
Re: Assigning an IP address to venet0 on the HN [message #37030 is a reply to message #37012] Thu, 13 August 2009 07:10 Go to previous message
Master One is currently offline  Master One
I'd like to keep that separated, especially since the only physical interface on the HN is used for WAN exposed to the internet. Since venet0 is supposed to be a P-to-P connection between the HN and the CTs, it just makes sense to assign an IP to venet0 on the HN side from the same subnet as the CTs are in, which also should be of advantage for configuring iptables on the HN.
Previous Topic: Problem with tun interface...even after following docs
Next Topic: IBM RAID controller re-mount lock
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 26 04:31:20 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03425 seconds